Model Cars Magazine Forum

My first WIP here; '70 Dodge Challenger T/A, Parts

Roadrunner

I appreciate the input fellas. And Joe, I too have looked at several cars from below, some restored, some not, and I'm OK with the darker color, as I have seen them both ways. Besides, as a curbside, I'm not really concerned with the bottom, nor the engine too much. Most of whatever painting I'll do, is for forum updates, a common dilemma for me. Once finished, no one (including myself) will ever look at the bottom of the car again.

• 1 month later...

Dang Kevin!!! Now that's a set up!!! Lookin' forward to pics....must....have .....pics......

Perhaps next week, with any luck at all.

I just started my Challenger today...looks like a bunch of these are popping up in the WIP section! So you're NOT going to put an engine in it? That's a bummer. Your progress looks pretty darn good though!

Yes, it'll have an engine, but the hood will remain closed.

Trivial update perhaps, but it occurred to me that I'd never photographed the car on its base. After a trip to HL today for some mat board, I've now cut out the shape of what will be the concrete beneath the car. Hopefully I'll begin painting that tonight or tomorrow. (Base is just a tad small, but I'll live with it.)

base%20001_zps7rs2li2r.jpg

Thanks, fellas, I appreciate it. I had the time to spritz some more color on the engine today. Not the best masking job in the world, but with just a little touch up, it should be OK, especially considering that the hood will be permanently closed on this model.

440%20002_zpsyxkaaxds.jpg

Slow but steady wins the race? :P good work so far. I watched a few Blue Impulse videos too. Cool stuff.

Yea, those patches/stickers were in a 1:32 Hasegawa F-86 that I just threw away. I thought these items were cool enough to hang onto though, as I'm sure to find somebody that wants them.

That's not a bad idea on the carpet. I don't know how accurate it is but I can see where it would bring out detail that's not easy to pick out with the black carpet. I did that with a Junkers Jumo 213 engine on my Fw190 D-9. The engine block was supposed to be black but I made it a very dark grey just to bring out detail that wouldn't be seen if the engine were black. It made a huge difference in the way of detail.

• Like 1

Body finally in light gray sandable primer. My first impressions are that body is fairly straight, though I did spot a couple of small "issues". The light gray certainly makes the mistakes pop, and that's why I like it.

primer%20002a_zpsqbgs0tyf.jpg

Edited by Roadrunner

One area that’s come to my attention as being dead wrong on the Monogram kit, is the area of the front fender to valance interface, so I’ve puttied up the offending area, and will re-contour, adding a scribed or drawn on delineator later.

val_zpse5nihlhk.jpg

Looking good. You might want to check that you can get the chassis and interior in with the front valence glued on. There are some kits that need to have the front and rear valence put on after the interior and chassis go in.

On this kit, that'll be a non issue, as the chassis is shorter than the opening it goes into. That was checked early on, but thanks anyway, I certainly appreciate the input.