Model Cars Magazine Forum

My first WIP here; '70 Dodge Challenger T/A, Parts

Roadrunner

If you continue to keep at it steady and not get a case of the "gotta get it done" syndrome you're gonna be just fine Kevin. I do understand how you feel though as mine was the first ever all out attempt. I mean I threw 'em together when I was a kid and all but never to the standards set here. Keep at it pal. You're going to do good! emotion-5.gif

Thanks very much for all the nice comments and encouragement, fellas. Having not finished a car model in roughly 20 years, I'm feeling a bit pressured by all the great work I see here, and a strong desire to have this car be at least attractive enough not to be an embarrassment.

Funny how we're in the same boat! Seeing all the quality builds here is making me stretch my build an extra leap also. But as Joe said, take it easy and try not to get into the finish rush. I'm dreading wet sanding mine as I reckon I will burn through at some point, and I'm trying to not even think about fitting the glass!

If you continue to keep at it steady and not get a case of the "gotta get it done" syndrome you're gonna be just fine Kevin. I do understand how you feel though as mine was the first ever all out attempt. I mean I threw 'em together when I was a kid and all but never to the standards set here. Keep at it pal. You're going to do good!

Well, I still have five weeks, more or less, so I should have ample time, Joe. I threw a ton of car kits together as a kid too, but I've never even come close to having one look as good as this one has the potential to be.

Funny how we're in the same boat! Seeing all the quality builds here is making me stretch my build an extra leap also. But as Joe said, take it easy and try not to get into the finish rush. I'm dreading wet sanding mine as I reckon I will burn through at some point, and I'm trying to not even think about fitting the glass!

You'll be fine, Stray. I only wet sanded through one tiny area, and that's just because I was a bit overzealous to see some results.

I really hope I'm not getting tiring with these "shiny updates", but this is the first car model I've ever clear coated and polished in my life, and I'm just tickled with the results so far. I reworked the trunk area some, as it was sort of hazy, and also the right side of car and upper right fender. Another hour or so of polishing, and I'll be ready for BMF.

I think I can say with a fair amount of certainty, that my next paint job will be much better, now that I've learned a few things about this method.

ref%20001_zpsbgxohnfs.jpg

ref%20003_zps25arvk8h.jpg

hehe, I too can't get enough of 'the shine'. looks great Kevin. the part you're really going to like is when the car is all together, and the polishing you did on the paint/clear makes it look almost like it's metal once the car is complete.

keep on keepin on, looks great!

Side and rear view mirrors prepped the best I can while they're still "on the tree". Once released, I'll Scotch-Brite them, and shoot some paint. There was no way I was going to mount them earlier (the sides in particular), as I'm quite confident I'd snap them off during handling. I'll stick them on at the end, with a tiny blob of PVA or clear silicone.

misc%201%2012_zpshzlfipsg.jpg

And last, but not least, I'm now finished with the polishing (save for one or two tiny areas that still need paint touch up). I put off the driver side till last for some reason, but decided to tackle it today. Two back to back treatments, and it's now finished. I'm a happy guy!

misc%201_zpsth4hqlza.jpg

misc%201%208_zpslcjalzek.jpg

Bumpers, rear and side view mirrors, fan, spoiler and hood all painted black. Hood looks horrible and will have to be redone, as many sanding marks show, a result of not polishing after I removed the extra hood pins, combined with the fact that my airbrush was spitting out globs of crud by that time.

bl%201_zpscrqffn4a.jpg

. For some reason, this kit doesn't have the Challenger T/A emblem on the spoiler. I'm not sure if that's something peculiar specifically to the Monogram kit, or not.

If you want one bad enough refer to Revell Challenger kit 85-4213 for a decal on the rear spoiler. emotion-5.gif

Headlights are now more or less finished. I believe I'll clean these up and cast more clear copies, as I'll eventually be doing at least one R/T, and one R/T convertible, as well as another T/A. They should look OK against a background disk of BMF.

bmf%20003_zpsqppqf83a.jpg

Edited by Roadrunner

Those headlamps look great Kevin. Spot on if I do say so myself. :D

It's an idea that I "liberated" from you, Joe, the difference being that I'll most likely sandwich them to disks that have been covered with BMF, eliminating the need to metalize the headlight sockets.

Thanks, fellas, I certainly appreciate the comments. Well, I've stripped the hood (spoiler too, as it also looked pretty grubby), wet sanded and polished, and have now primed with white lacquer. The hood is such a large black expanse up front, that it really needs to look right. I've also drilled tiny holes for the hold down/safety cables that will be added later;... not really accurate by any means, but I think it'll look OK.

hood%20002_zpswo0ztflw.jpg