Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's Everyone Profession,etc..job,

stanleymsn

OK, here's something I've wondered about for a while. Seriously. And no disrespect meant at all... I've just wondered about this and would be interested in hearing from you guys who have taken this career path...

How does one decide to be a funeral director/mortician?

I can see it being a family business and handed down generation to generation... but what I can't wrap my mind around is the concept of a young guy (or girl, I suppose) thinking to themselves, "when I grow up i want to deal with dead bodies!"

Enlighten me.

Seems like a creepy profession, but I guess they like working with people.  

Seems like a creepy profession, but I guess they like working with people.  

I give funeral directors and those who work in the funeral business much respect as it must be hard to help others with funeral services. It must be especially hard when the deceased are young or taken tragically. 

OK, here's something I've wondered about for a while. Seriously. And no disrespect meant at all... I've just wondered about this and would be interested in hearing from you guys who have taken this career path...

How does one decide to be a funeral director/mortician?

I can see it being a family business and handed down generation to generation... but what I can't wrap my mind around is the concept of a young guy (or girl, I suppose) thinking to themselves, "when I grow up i want to deal with dead bodies!"

Enlighten me.

It's a calling Harry. I like to think that I help my fellow humans through some of the most difficult events in their lives in a way that not many people can.

For me this isn't a family business. I sort of fell sideways into it by way of the transportation industry. Years ago, a business partner and I built an airport shuttle company here in the Phoenix area. After several years, I sold my part and started looking for another career. I needed something to keep busy while I was working out what my next big adventure was to be. Since driving for a living was familiar to me, I interviewed as a mortuary transport driver. I didn't get the job. (I've since learned that it getting a low-level job can be difficult once a prospective employer learns that you've owned and operated a couple businesses of your own.)

As a result of that interview, I began to research a career in funeral service. The more I learned, the more I began to feel that this was what was right for me. There are technical, scientific, personal and spiritual aspects to this field that provide many opportunities for personal fulfillment.

It can be difficult too. In the nearly twenty years I've been a funeral director, I've had my heart broken many times as I've helped young mothers dress their infant children for the last time or arrange the burial of a homeless veteran who will have nobody at his graveside service except the honors detail- and nobody to receive his burial flag except me- the funeral director.

For me the biggest rewards come from helping the people- even and especially the ones who can't say thank you.

David G.