Model Cars Magazine Forum

2013 60th Anniversary Corvette 427 Convertible

ismaelg

Hi,

I had a thread started on this before but it got lost in the server migration. I hope I can replicate the "emotion" of that thread....

The 6th generation Corvette, or C6, proved to be very successful. Launched for the 2005 model year with the coupe and convertible, it eventually evolved to a family of models. In 2006 the Z06 joined the family, followed by the supercharged ZR-1 in 2009. In 2010 the Grand Sport joined the lineup in both coupe and convertible forms. For 2013, the last model year of the C6 generation, Chevrolet introduced yet another model in the lineup: The 427 convertible. Since the seventh generation Corvette was to be launched as a 2014 model year, this 427 convertible was a one year only model. GM and Chevy refuse to call it a Z06 convertible, but it is essentially a steel framed Z06 convertible. The heart of the car is the famous 505hp 7.0 liter LS7 engine. This roughly translates into 427 cubic inches. Well, it is almost 428 but the number 427 is sacred in Corvette history. Chevrolet claims this is the fastest and most capable Corvette convertible ever.

But 2013 also marked the 60th anniversary of the Corvette. So a special edition 60th Anniversary package was offered in all models featuring Arctic White paint, specific exterior and interior badging, sueded microfiber-wrapped steering wheel and shifter, blue custom stitching, Blue Diamond interior color, gray custom brake calipers, ZR1 rear spoiler, full-length racing stripes in Pearl Silver Blue and blue convertible top graced with stitched stripes.

Combine these 2 and you have a 60th Anniversary 427 Corvette Convertible. I'm obviously biased, but I have seen one locally and WOW! What a car!

Pictures courtesy of the Internet

1333_Jan122012_10_47_53_956675-vi.jpg

ible_2013_800x600_wallpaper_03-vi.jpg

Of course I like it but there are no models of this car. So I will be doing my own. To keep it simple (yeah right!) I'll work with snap curbsides focusing on the visual impact of the car. The plan is similar to the full detail C6 convertible I did back a few years ago: Using the deck lid and conv boot from the snap C6 convertible. But this time, instead of combining it with a full detail C6 kit I'll be using a snap Z06.

According to Murphy's law, as soon as I'm done Revell will release a kit of this car so I'll look like a fool. Come On Revell, make me look like a fool! :)

This will be a very slow process as I only have a few minutes a week of workbench time.

The starting points are Revell Z06 and C6 convertible, both snap curbsides kits....

IMGP6630-vi.jpg

IMGP6670-vi.jpg

....which will not stay as they are much longer......

Let the madness begin!!!!

IMGP6673-vi.jpg

_IGP7732-vi.jpg

So this is the basic idea. However, it is not as straightforward as it may look because the fit is far from perfect. The parts are not exactly identical in size or shape. Add to that the variation of the cutting and if you want it to be perfect you have some work ahead.

_IGP7737-vi.jpg

_IGP7792-vi.jpg

Stay tuned. I hope to have this done before the actual car gets "classic vehicle" plates in 25 years :)

What do you think?

Thanks!

Hi,

Supports were added to help the proper positioning of the parts.

_IGP7798-vi.jpg

The resulting gaps need serious attention. I was expecting a tighter fit but it seems these two molds are not as related to each other as I thought.

_IGP7799-vi.jpg

.... and before you mention it, No you can't just lean it to one side and fill the other. It needs to be perfectly centered for proper fit with the interior.

So both sides need to be carefully worked on.

and you know me, almost perfect is never good enough.

Thanks,

Hello,

Almost no workbench time but here is some very slow progress.....

Started adding and stacking thin strips of styrene to tighten the gaps. Continuously checking centering with the interior tub. Added some material not only to the body but to the boot as well. I miss the days where I could sit for hours on the workbench. Now, 10 minutes is a quite an accomplishment.....

_IGP8170-vi.jpg

_IGP8172-vi.jpg

_IGP8175-vi.jpg

Still a long way to go but at least moving forward.

Thanks!

Hello,

After an intense battle this is now heading in the right direction.

As of 2 weeks ago......

IMGP6689-vi.jpg

This is how it is now. ready for permanent attachment.

IMGP6698-vi.jpg

IMGP6701-vi.jpg

IMGP6700-vi.jpg

Once glued in place (and reinforced just in case) a bit more tweaking may be needed.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Edited by ismaelg

• 4 months later...

Hello again!

OK Let's see:

12 minutes of workbench time in 4 months: That averages to 3 whopping minutes a month!

Combine that with a slow builder and I think I can finish this right about the time the real car gets antique car plates... :(

Anyways,

The 427 convertible uses a factory hi-rise hood, similar to the ZR1 hood but without the window. This hood was first offered as a Z06 option in 2012 (Option B92). The option was also available in 2013 (Z06 only as the previous year).

All 427 convertibles had this hood.

Having this been a full detail model, I would have used a ZR1 hood and fill the window (hint for a future project). But since this is a curbside I'll just add material to the hood.

The plan is to get it close to shape with styrene and then finish it using Milliput.

So at this rate this may only take a few more years before it is ready for primer.... :)

IMGP8315-vi.jpg

IMGP8314-vi.jpg

IMGP8316-vi.jpg

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Nice body work! What's your secret to getting milliput to work. It always turns out really soft and funny on me; and clogs my files and sandpaper.