Model Cars Magazine Forum

2013 60th Anniversary Corvette 427 Convertible

ismaelg

Hello and Happy New Year everybody!

Started the year doing the Happy Dance!

The 2013 Corvette 60th Anniversary package mentions the stripes are silver blue pearl, but I couldn't find anywhere a reference for the color code.  I'm not even sure they are painted. Could be factory decals. I've seen it in person and it looks more silver than blue. I'd call it "blueish silver" :)

Anyways, I mixed my own silver blue from Cobra Colors Argento Nurburgring Mettalic and Azzurro California Metallic, both Ferrari colors, and a touch of MCW Corvette Marina blue.  It better work  because I won't be able to duplicate it again.

IMGP9750.thumb.jpg.f36e60142f46f09178a6a

IMGP9741.thumb.jpg.0a63a1e8041161de36bfc

The paint went on very smooth and before removing the tape, I airbrushed a light coat of Cobra Colors Giallo Midas Pearl top coat and a mist of Cobra Colors Hi-Gloss clear. Too bad after maybe 8 or more years of been out of business, I only have enough Cobra Colors Clear left for maybe a coat or two.  

IMGP9751.thumb.jpg.c5978807ae363c96a06be

IMGP9754.thumb.jpg.32c0e29f385e940a84206

Looks silver in the pics but it does have a light blue tint to it.

The tape was carefully removed. Minor overspray to cleanup but no big deal.  After cleanup, I'll apply a coat or two of clear before final polish.  

Ohh wait, I have the rest of the car to work on! :)

Very happy as to how it is going so far.

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello,

With all the work in the body, I forgot the rest of the car!   While cleaning up some overspray of the stripes painting, a minor boo-boo happened and the white needs to be retouched in a small area.  Took a break from the body and did the interior. 

The interior of this special edition car is diamond blue leather and dark grey.  

The Heads Up Display projector, center console screen, AC display and instrument cluster all have acetate "glass".  Added scratchbuilt seatbelts, buckles, latches and door leather trim.  Flocked carpets.  Suede in the steering wheel, shifter boot and parking brake boot simulated with acrylic grey and drybrushed white.  Didn't bother with the back as it won't be seen. The passenger seat is still loose that's why it looks a bit crooked. I'll fix that tomorrow.  Not bad for a 9 part snapper interior....

I'll put it aside and come back later to it to see if anything else is missing.......

IMGP9796.thumb.jpg.3142f07243f2c46034686IMGP9804.thumb.jpg.02c159ccf475c61a291dbIMGP9817.thumb.jpg.412862073373fae6d59d9IMGP9820.thumb.jpg.5ea5afe039d8e7f5075feIMGP9822.thumb.jpg.925888596bd807125d201IMGP9826.thumb.jpg.1dfd4dd6864638b6ca648IMGP9827.thumb.jpg.cdae51f27577fa3402bc6IMGP9832.thumb.jpg.8f398d314306d35bdde5f

Hope you approve. What do you think?

Thanks,

PS> Forgot to mention, the instruments face is a scaled and printed picture of the real thing. you can't see it but the odometer reads 39 miles :)
Edited by ismaelg

• 3 months later...

Ismael -- what a great job you are doing on this. I'm in the planning stages of doing a similar build. I was wondering how you plan to do the badging, especially on the side coves. I've got some hi-res pics of the badges from the 1:1 car, but not sure how to reproduce them. Was thinking about using some Model Car Garage crossed flag scripts and making a small foil mold and then modify to include '60' and then cast with 2 part epoxy.

was wondering if you had some advice on an easier way,

thx

Al and look forward to your future posts on the 2013 60th Anniversary !

• 6 months later...

Hello,

Wow! Almost a year with little or no progress!  Workbench time is really tight. But anyways, got a few minutes to detail paint the chassis. This is all one piece with 4 huge holes for screws, so nothing to write home about.  Just some fun.

20161120_221203b.thumb.jpg.8486d1abf0481

Looking at the pic I noticed I did not paint the oil filter. I'll fix that, hopefully before 2018.

Thanks, 

Good to see you again Ismael! The build is looking awesome!!! I'm still working on the same project I started in 2009, so I know what you mean about slow going. I look forward to seeing this build come to fruition, it really is a sweet build. Say hello when you can! B)

Hi Marshall!

It's been quite a while!  I can't believe I've been away for about 7-8 years!  Did you ever finish the Astrovette?

Cheers!

Hi Marshall!

It's been quite a while!  I can't believe I've been away for about 7-8 years!  Did you ever finish the Astrovette?

Cheers!

Hello Ismael!

We were worried that you've been gone so long, me and a few others were getting a search party together!!!

As for the Astrovette, I'm working on it now and again, but I have to get radiation treatments. And yes, you warned me that I should've sent it to you, and that you would dispose of it properly... :blink:

In actuality I've been slowing down on building like you, but maybe one day...

Say hello once in a while my friend, and let us know whats new!!!