Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airfix 4.5 litre Bentley

kpnuts

Hi all, well I'm making a start on the Bentley today, first thin I notice that I'm a bit disappointed with is, when looking at the box art the front mud guard has not got much detail at all
9O1trwQ.jpg
axwsWWk.jpg
as you can see I have a load of rivets and nuts to scratch.

There have been several threads here on building this kit. I suggest you search the forum, and especially look at the build by John Teresi. There's a lot to learn so you don't have to reinvent the wheel. There is also a current build on this forum that you may want to look at...

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=95098&page=1

In addition, your build progress should be posted in the section of this forum called "Big Boyz," because of the large scale.

Edited by sjordan2

Hi all I am so cross(mostly with myself for not testing it first) I received some humbrol acrylic chrome in a spray can today, and, eager to try it out I did it straight on the bentley engine, it clearly says acrylic on the can, and I primed the engine with humbrol enamel so there should have been no problem, anyway I started spraying and thought this smells very much like celloluse paint.
6aEWubT.jpg
now that is exactly the effect I would expect spaying cellulose on enamel not when spraying acrylic.
so now its getting the oven cleaner treatment, so take this as a warning.smell your paint first.

Well I got some rivets, nuts and braided hoses today for detailing her also found an old base from the Christie steam fire engine which was too badly broken to be repaired and anyway I've stolen lots of bits off it for other dios, so thought since its cobbled stones it would be good as a base for the Bentley. I've filled sanded and primed the people for the base as well.
wnW5wSD.jpg
mFKo7Uz.jpg
3Nd7FzS.jpg
cOD769a.jpg
5ff3YGq.jpg

Hey Skip, what were those wrapped with on the real car and why??

I never got a full explanation, but I always thought it was something like sisal / burlap cord to add strength, reduce squeaking of factory-oiled springs and prevent grime buildup between the leaves. I think Harry, Cato or Art will have real answer. Some cars, like Rolls and Mercedes, used full leather sleeves on each end ("gaiters").

Edited by sjordan2