Model Cars Magazine Forum

C4 Corvette accurate model

mikeaaron353

I'd say the best one is the 1/24-scale Monogram kit. They did an '86/87 convertible. Monogram never did the base 1988 wheels though. MPC/Ertl had a '88 convertible kit that's 1/25 scale, but it isn't as well detailed as Monogram's.

Monogram didn't do the '90 model year wheels either, which sucks because the mpc/amt wheels are too small to begin with to use on a Monogram kit. With some kitbashing you can do almost every model year and body style of the Monogram c4 vettes. '88 and '90 are about the only years you couldn't accurately do. On a

side note the Callaway speedster kit is the only non zr1 kit to have a 6spd trans. I believe 88 or maybe 89 was the first year for the 6 speed.

Oh, I remember that kit....I've been looking for that thing for a long time.....It had opening doors and everything.....I built it when I was about 13 or 14.....I was amazed....I'd love to get my hands on one of those.....Thanks for posting that, Dale.....

Edited by kilrathy10

I'd say the best one is the 1/24-scale Monogram kit. They did an '86/87 convertible. Monogram never did the base 1988 wheels though. MPC/Ertl had a '88 convertible kit that's 1/25 scale, but it isn't as well detailed as Monogram's.

I agree with the Monogram kit endorsement. The MPC kits have the common BFG T/A Radials popular at the time. The tires in the Monogram kits are either Good Year Gatorbacks or Eagle GS-A tires on the later models.

Hope this helps.

which is more accurate in the engine and frame, the Monogram or the MPC?

I would say Monogram was quite a bit better, in particular the Tuned Port Injection unit was really nice....MPC never quite caught the look of that set up. Monogram's series of C4 glue kits started with a '85 Coupe that was one of the brand's best efforts to that point. I'd say the kit still holds up pretty well 30 years later.