Model Cars Magazine Forum

1936 Ford Flatback Sedan -TPI tuned port injection-Oct1-17

Phildaupho

Seasons Greetings to all participants on the Model Cars magazine Forum. I thoroughly enjoy all the model car projects from around the world and the interesting commentary on model car subjects.

While waiting to get inspired to start painting a current project, I decided to try and create a ’36 Ford Flatback Sedan by grafting the roof section of a Revell 1/24 ’37 Sedan onto the body of a Revell 1/24 ’36 Coupe.

DSCN0205-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

DSCN0204-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Slicing and dicing to create my own body is probably my favorite aspect of model car building so I knew this would be fun. I was kind of surprised to find that the ’37 Sedan was about 4 scale inches wider than the ’36 so I had to take a corresponding longitudinal section out of the sedan roof. With the centre section of the ’37 rear window gone it was close to matching the shape of a ’36 rear window but not quite so I cut in the window from the ’36 Coupe. It is going to take a bunch of putty and Evergreen half round to complete the transformation but overall I am pretty pleased with how this conversion turned out. This will become a future street-rod with running gear and interior from the ’37 kit. I need a 1/25 Flatback for another project I have in mind but will try the Jimmy Flintstone resin ’36 for that.

Edited by Phildaupho

Andy - Both the coupe and sedan are 1/24. I have not researched to see if 1/1 '37 sedans were actually wider than '36 coupes but I did what I had to do to make it work. Jimmy Flintstone makes a resin 1/25 flatback.

Phil the 37 flat back you started with is 1/24 scale Revell kit . Unless AMT made a kit I do not know about . That is why it is wider.

From 1935 through 1940, Ford cars were on essentially the same chassis. The body, however, was redesigned in 1937 and had more in common with the '40 than it did with the '36 (the basic 1937 body shell carried through to the end of the 1940 models, though the '39-'40 had different firewalls and 'faces' due to differing front fenders, grilles and hoods).

The '37 body shell redesign probably accounts for the width discrepancy between your 1/24 '36 and your 1/24 '37.

Both body and chassis were redesigned completely for 1941, and would be essentially the same (again, with minor sheetmetal and trim changes) through 1948.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Yoy have a great eye for slicing and dicing.Without my knowing any more than I do about the actual dimensions of the real cars this looks proportionally correct.Working to mate curved surfaces on those cars is not easy but you have a talent for it.Thanks for sharing the progress with us.I will be watching it this project for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

Did a "Fantom Flatback Forty"a very long time ago. I used the same sedan body and front clip from a Mono. '40 Pickup.I have a few more pickups squirrelled away in case I want to build another or a coupe or cabriolet. Both of these items are 1/24th.I really like what you're doin'.That 1:1 '36 Sedan that inspired you is a real gem that I know you can replicate.I saw some of your work at GSL in '09. Good Luck,and keep those updates coming!

• 2 years later...

After two and half years I finally got back to this project and I am now almost finished. I will post various sub-assembles over the next few days as I get them ready final completion.

BODY - Added distinctive ‘35/’36 molding under windows and above rear bumper using Evergreen Styrene half-rounds and lots of putty. Recessed firewall using section from ‘37 kit. Adapted the ’37 inner fender splash panels.

The engine and chassis are the great combo from the Revell ’37 Ford Coupe Street Rod. The chassis features independent front and rear suspension. The front being A-arm and the rear based on the Corvette C2/3/4 design. The Chevrolet engine features tuned port fuel injection which I always thought was a great looking induction system and a good looking accessory belt drive. The chrome reverse wheels are from a Rev/Mon 1/24 ’32 Ford Roadster releases. Testors Chevrolet Orange was used on the engine and wheels.