Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peterbilt 359 "Pennsylvania Hauler" - It's done!

Hey everyone. Between build sessions on the Western Star, I picked up the reissued California Hauler 359. I've been waiting for this for a long time. I always liked the Unilite conventionals and almost bought one off of evilBay everal times. I've got one of the original 359 Wreckers that my dad built way back when that has more or less survived the last 40 or so years intact, so that's part of the motivation. It's going to be pretty much out of the box, but with a few modifications to correct some of the kit errors and put my own spin on it.

Like all my truck builds, I started with the engine. I dechromed many of the parts and gave it a proper shade of white with a chassis color transmission, black in this case.

peterbiltdetroitdiesel_zps51403d03.jpg

Speaking of the chassis, that is the one major modification I took on. The kit scales out to roughly a 205" wheelbase, which I always thought was a bit much for a daycab tractor. I shortened it to a 180" wheelbase, seemed to be about the most common among all of my other daycabs. I'm pretty pleased with it. I moved one air tank to the other framerail, and moved the one that would be above the battery box to the rear as well. Plans call for both forward mounted fuel tanks and a COE style battery box. I pulled the Wrecker out for comparison. It was converted to a tractor back in the '90s by dad and myself when we found it and other survivors in my grandparent's attic.

peterbiltchassis1_zps496f6627.jpg

peterbiltchassisandyellow_zps1277bae2.jp

Fast forward a bit, and the chassis is painted and the Detroit has found its home.

peterbiltchassis2_zps63ba532a.jpg

I'm going with a blue interior on my truck, and here's all I have so far. I still need to pick up some brown to do the woodgrain on the dash and doors.

peterbiltseats_zps61687ca8.jpg

Wheels are the kit pieces, with baby moons like I did on the Western Star. I need to find something else for the front, as the brass fasteners aren't quite big enough to cover the hub. Any suggestions?

peterbiltrearwheels_zps81b4ab55.jpg

Thanks again for looking everyone!

Edited by Casey429

Your off to a great start! Looks really good with that shortened wheelbase. I like to follow these little window Pete threads as I have a couple myself.

Is the yellow truck the one your Dad built? It looks really nice for surviving the 40 years in the attic (or in time out status). A few more shots on that guy and some more "war" stories on the truck your Dad built would be cool...just a thought. I take it the wrecker body didn't survive..?!?

Thanks for sharing!

Jeff

Jeff,

I've got a couple more surviors in the display case along with some that weren't so fortunate. I still have the wrecker body for the yellow Peterbilt, but it's missing the tow bar from the rear and some other little bits. One day I might convert it back to a wrecker, but for now it's a tractor. In among the trucks and parts was a trashed red 359, the T501 version which was the newer truck. We robbed a lot of parts from it to convert the wrecker to the tractor, and repowered it with the Cummins as well.

yellowpeterbilt_zpsa1ed6de2.jpg

I haven't taken too many pictures of Dad's old trucks, but now I'm thinking I should. All I've got handy at the moment is a few shots of his Diamond Reo with my Road Boss, and one from way way back when I built a DM800 tractor with the remnants of his DM800 mixer.

009-1_zpsa2c44860.jpg

model074.jpg

One other thing I forgot to add was I did some modification to the front fenders. As our resident Peterbilt guru Tim has addressed in the past, the front fenders leave "buck tooth gap" between them and the bumper. Following some advice from him, I "rolled" the fender forward and repositioned the skirt lower. I filled in the resulting gap this some styrene an glazing putty. I also cut off the rear fender step and positioned it 1/8" higher on the fender. I also added the rolled edge with some .020 round rod.

359fenderfix_zpsbb1aba4f.jpg

Just a quick update, again from between work on the Western Star.

I got the chassis up on it it's rear wheels, still trying to figure out some hubcaps for the front so they're just set in place for now.

359mockup_zps32eb76e1.jpg

I've been playing with the idea of using the Farr air cleaner from my spare Road Boss. As of now, I need the Peterbilt one for another project I have in the pipeline. I've modified the tube to fit the Peterbilt opening and shortened the opposite end to mate up properly. I've never seen a Peterbilt with one of these, so I'm not sure if it was an option. I've looked through lots of Tim's photos and can't find anything, paging Mr. Ahlborn!

farraircleanermockup_zps80e04ce5.jpg

And another comparison shot with Old Yeller. The shortened frame makes a big difference when they're side by side.

359mockupwithyellow_zps6efe2c74.jpg

Once I get the Star done, I'm going to go at this one a little harder. I've got a paintjob picked out, I just haven't found the exact color I'm after. Since I had so much trouble with the Duplicolor and Valspar paints on the Star, both of those are out. I need to do some browsing of the paint stands at the hobby shop. Thanks for looking!

That type of air cleaner was used on Peterbilt conventionals. I can't get my scanner to work at the moment but if you have the AMERICAN TRUCKS or AMERICAN TRUCKS 2 books by David Jacobs there are a few pictured in either of those books. The Farr air cleaner looks nice on your build.

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

Another quick update here. I've been having PC issues and had to switch to a back up. Malware is a royal pain! Without further ado...

I got the interior buttoned up. I'm really into the classic blue. Might not be 100% accurate, but I'm digging it. My dad and grandfather had matching '93 Peterbilt 357 dump trucks that were blue on blue, so that was part of the draw. I can almost smell the naugahyde!

peterbiltinterior2_zpszl5e3jil.jpg

peterbiltdashboard_zpsjqqd2z3w.jpg

The '93s I mentioned earlier were bought used in about '97 or so. They were a big jump in tech from the trucks that they replaced, being the first electronic engines that we ever had. This one is dad's, it had an East dump bed. Pap's had a Cobra. They were identical in every other respect. 3176 Cats, Eaton 8LLs, Hendrickson suspension and I believe 44k lb rear ends. I suppose it's worth noting that BOTH trucks ended up totalled after they were sold. Dad's was struck by a train and Pap's was rolled and repaired, but it isn't the same truck anymore (I pass it daily). Shoulda kept them...

05-25-2006031818PM.jpg

Other than that, I've been picking at the little things. Went ahead and did some red mudflaps, although they turned out more brown but they still look ok to me.

peterbiltredflaps_zpszwx1jgvl.jpg

I also got the battery box built, I used .060 styrene. I took some measurements from my old 352 cabover and based it on them. It sticks out a smidge farther than I'd like, but it's still inside the tire. It's got its few little boogers, but it turned out smooth and square, so I'm happy.

peterbiltbatterybox_zpslctkreol.jpg

I also got some miscellaneous items stuck in their places. Stuff like the radiator, hoses, fifth wheel, deckplate, and pogo stick. I also decided to go with the Farr aircleaner. I was able to find a photo on Hank's Truck Pictures in addition to the ones Jeff was kind enough to supply. Hank's site is a goldmine!

peterbiltmockup1_zpszusuwz4n.jpg

That's all I have for now til the weather allows me some paint time. That and I need to find some paint lol! Anyone out there know off hand a good match for Gulf's light blue, like was used on many of their race cars? Also, I'm not sure if I want to run the rooftop AC or not...anyone care to weigh in? As always, thanks for taking a look!

Edited by Casey429

• 1 year later...