Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tree House Studio Clear Acrylic High Gloss Sealer

jdhog

Hi folks,

I'm not sure this warrants it's own thread, but I wanted to share with you all the best clear coat I have every personally used. I found it at Hobby Lobby near the Folk Art paint section.

It is called Tree House Studio Clear Acrylic High Gloss Sealer. This stuff lays down like glass and drys very fast. I can't tell you how impressed I am with it.

Here's a couple of pictures of it on a 32 Ford I am working on:

32a.jpg

32b.jpg

The clear coat was sprayed over Createx Copper Pearl. This is how it came out of the can. No polishing.

Just thought I would share.

Looks good! Does anyone know of another source, as Hobby Lobby isn't near me. Would Michaels or AC Moore stock this?

Tree House Studio is a Hobby Lobby house brand. Sherwin Williams packages it exclusively for the chain. This is the same as Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic Spray. Krylon is a subsidiary of S-W; same product, different label.

Tree House Studio is a Hobby Lobby house brand. Sherwin Williams packages it exclusively for the chain. This is the same as Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic Spray. Krylon is a subsidiary of S-W; same product, different label.

Great info. Thanks!

Very interesting. After some initial success with Krylon Crystal Clear, I haven't had much luck with it since. It seems to dry VERY thin, and I have to put on at least 10-12 coats to have enough to polish out. And it doesn't seem to dry particularly glossy, though it does polish up nicely if I get ENOUGH of it on. Right now I have to repaint a Camaro I did with the stuff because with "only" about 8 or 10 coats of that clear on it, I polished right through it and through the color underneath. I've gone to Testor One Shot Wet Look for my clear for the moment (or my alltime favorite, Model Master Clear Top Coat enamel if its yellowing is not an issue on a particular build).

Still...based on the pics posted above, I do believe I'll pick up and try a can of the Tree House Studio stuff. :unsure:

Very interesting. After some initial success with Krylon Crystal Clear, I haven't had much luck with it since. It seems to dry VERY thin, and I have to put on at least 10-12 coats to have enough to polish out. And it doesn't seem to dry particularly glossy, though it does polish up nicely if I get ENOUGH of it on. Right now I have to repaint a Camaro I did with the stuff because with "only" about 8 or 10 coats of that clear on it, I polished right through it and through the color underneath. I've gone to Testor One Shot Wet Look for my clear for the moment (or my alltime favorite, Model Master Clear Top Coat enamel if its yellowing is not an issue on a particular build).

Still...based on the pics posted above, I do believe I'll pick up and try a can of the Tree House Studio stuff. :unsure:

Model Master Gloss Clear Acryl is pretty good. It sprays on nicely, dries rock hard and polishes well.

I just sprayed the Tree House clear and Krylon Crystal clear side by side. They both spray different and smell different. Do they perhaps use different propellant? Is that a silly question?

I just sprayed the Tree House clear and Krylon Crystal clear side by side. They both spray different and smell different. Do they perhaps use different propellant? Is that a silly question?

I'm glad to hear that. I'm DEFINITELY going to pick up a can and give it a try now.

I'm glad to hear that. I'm DEFINITELY going to pick up a can and give it a try now.

I'm certainly not trying to undermine what Joe said regarding the two being the same product. I just haven't had as much success with the Kylon brand. I'm assuming they are the same "clear", but Tree House just uses a different nozzle and perhaps propellant because the two cans spray completely different.

Let us know if you experience that same results that I do.

It's the same. S-W packages the stuff exclusively for Hobby Lobby. It's like those bottles of Bob Smith Industries CA with the silver/purple labels. The name of whomever is selling the stuff at retail is affixed on a clear sticker over the original label.

Thank you. I sure like the nozzle better on the Tree House Studios can.

Does Krylon make a "high gloss" Crystal Clear?