Model Cars Magazine Forum

Defective Round Two kits

I purchased a 60 Starliner and upon opening the kit to check out all the parts, I get to the floor pan and it is seriously warped. It is so bad I doubt that the hot water re-shape trick would work.

So I e-mailed Round 2 with details and pictures to see if it was possible to get a replacement part, and the response I got was they cant help me out as im international and they only send out replacement parts within the U.S and that I should return to place of purchase within Australia.

I had some defective parts in a Revell kit, So I go through the parts and service section of their site and week later the parts were on my door step and it cost me nothing.

Edited by Cool Hand

not really all that strange: upc and receipt means a good chance you bought the kit and are legit about needing the part(s). and so they take on the responsibility of making it right which means you shouldn't have to pay postage for something that shouldn't have had to be done in the first place

no upc and no receipt means one way or another you are a scammer. they aren't gonna call you a scammer but they are going to get you the part on your dime. good business practice, keeps the bums at bay but lets them play the good guy if you play along.

makes sense to me

jb

Fellas,

I've been a modeler for over fifty years and have had issues with very few kits having missing or damaged parts, however at todays prices, there is no excuse for any model company to refuse to offer adequate customer service. What ever happened to the old adage, The customer is always right " ?

If customer satisfaction is to be overlooked by model companies, them possibly that model manufacturer's' kits might need to be overlooked by the customer as well !!! ;)

Fellas,

I've been a modeler for over fifty years and have had issues with very few kits having missing or damaged parts, however at todays prices, there is no excuse for any model company to refuse to offer adequate customer service. What ever happened to the old adage, The customer is always right " ?

If customer satisfaction is to be overlooked by model companies, them possibly that model manufacturer's' kits might need to be overlooked by the customer as well !!! ;)

You can thank the people that took advantage of the replacemnts parts program asking for parts when the kit had no missing parts. Classic case of the few messing it up for everyone. Asking for proof of purchase is not unreasonable.

• 4 weeks later...

Had a problem awhile back with Round-2's Gasser wheel and tire set. One of the rear rims looked like it had been pulled from the mold too early, and the center was pulled almost flush with the rim. Went to the website, filled out the info page, and received a set of TIRES from the set in the mail instead. :lol::rolleyes:. I scrapped the wheels and just used the tires... B)

How things have changed. Maybe 10-years ago my brother was building a Revell Apollo Saturn V rocket with his kid and they managed to wreck one piece. He called Revell, explained what happened and wanted to flat-out buy the replacement piece. The customer service woman understood his problem and said he sounded like he was being sincere and sent the part out - no charge.

Skip, how old is that kit and how far back was this incident? There are several of that kit on the 'bay right now in the $45 range, and the only ones that were dated said a 1977 copyright. A company like Revell cannot be held to any kind of 35 year warranty. I wouldn't expect them to have any parts that weren't currently available retail kits.

And it goes for all the model car companies and anyone posting... you cannot go by your experience with a model company 5-10-20 years ago. They are completely different companies today. Under different ownership, different personnel. Operating under tighter reigns and totally different market conditions.

Heck, the last time I requested a part was when I got a Revell '57 Chevy Nomad that had no rear bumper on the chrome tree. I wrote them, and they sent me a complete new kit. This was early 1970s. Back in those days it was no doubt not worth their time to sort out parts.

Since I already added my one and half cents about Round 2, thought I would tell you a tale of the two Revells

I purchased the Revell AG Golf GTi kit, well, like a few other people, my kit came with two parts trees for the Cabrio kit, so, I emailed Revell AG, and Revell US, Revell AG after clearing things up( lost in translation) which included sending some photos, they said they are going to send me the parts trees( I guess) , Revell US canceled my parts request and emailed asking me to mail them in the UPC from the box.

In the end, Tower Hobbies is taking care of the issue.

Good to hear the matter is in hand anyway Jonathan.

I got a 1/16th scale Karmann Ghia before Christmas, no instructions or decals.

Revell didn't even offer to print out and post the instuctions. It was like sorry, we have no parts left...

I just brought it back to the retailer and got my money back.