Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '69 Cougar Eliminator

Casey

I was out of the hobby for about 40 years, so you'll have to forgive me if I don't seem to know what I'm talking about... because I don't! All I know is what I have in front of my face at the time, and this kit is so bad, I have to wonder how desperate R2 is that they'd even bother to release this one...

The best thing to prevent future disappointment is to look and ask here on the forum before you buy. There are 26 pages of news, reviews, opinions, and images of what's inside all sorts of kits right here in this very forum section, and maybe, just maybe, you'll find an existing topic already discussing the very same kit you're about to start a new post about...

I would suggest using the advanced search function to search the forum-- it's the little white gear/flower/star to the right of the search box, which appears at the top right corner of every page, in the blue-grey header bar. Odds are very good someone has not only asked the same question or wanted to discuss the same topic before, but also that someone has provided answer or also wanted to discuss the same topic.

I think the review was pretty fair on the kit. Thankfully this kit is still available and has been reissued once again. Thankfully with correct box art. Does anyone remember the box art with the 428 Cougar but had only this 302 Eliminator in the box.

Thankfully you didn't spend $150 plus for a 67,68 Cougar kit. You would have seen most of the same parts with a more generic engine. The engines, interior tub and wheels were updated in the 80's. I have an earlier 69 issue that has the XR7 interior and Boss 429 engine. I think it is a late 70's issue.

I personally like this kit and it does build up well. Here are a few of mine built up.

You sure did a nice job on yours! No, I didn't buy one on auction - just this latest release. I understand what you mean about "it built up well", but at these prices, I feel you should be able to show off all of the final model, not just the body.

Edited by fseva

It's not that bad dude. Good gosh. How much would you whine over a chassis with everything molded in place like most from the 60's were?

You know what? It can be "that bad" to me if that is my opinion and I'm not trying to start a boycott of the company's product! Sheesh! You're doing enough whining over my review - talk about the kettle calling the pot black...

The best thing to prevent future disappointment is to look and ask here on the forum before you buy. There are 26 pages of news, reviews, opinions, and images of what's inside all sorts of kits right here in this very forum section, and maybe, just maybe, you'll find an existing topic already discussing the very same kit you're about to start a new post about...

I would suggest using the advanced search function to search the forum-- it's the little white gear/flower/star to the right of the search box, which appears at the top right corner of every page, in the blue-grey header bar. Odds are very good someone has not only asked the same question or wanted to discuss the same topic before, but also that someone has provided answer or also wanted to discuss the same topic.

Will do!

Okay, I understand your disappointment. For $25-30 you expected contemporary detailing.

This Cougar kit dates back to 13 TV channels and rotary telephones. It was the Kat's a$$ back in 1969 when before all the kit's chassis consisted of one solid piece of axles and exhaust held on with 4 screws.

I was wondering how Round2 was going to make a classic AMT '69 box, since the XR7 and 390 details were gone.

It is what it is, I guess.

I promised that I would take some photos of the chassis texture - make sure you zoom in to get a better idea of what it really looks like...

I see textured insulation, nicely shaped fuel tank with fuel line, separated leaf springs, separated exhaust and axle. Nothing you couln't turn into a nice build with a few spay cans and pencils. BTW, I'll pay that kit three times $25 (wanna build 3 of them) instead of having it discontinued. Same for all the 66 Wildcat, 70 Impala, 71 Cuda, 74 GTX, etc

You started the whining. I called you on the carpet, as did many others saying it's not that bad. Why do you even want to build if you think old tools should be sota?

Called me "on the carpet"? You just said, "You're dead wrong" and then wouldn't stand behind your opinion by giving some evidence. And why do you jump to the conclusion that I should not even "want" to build an old tool? Where did that come from? Would you prefer that I NOT be in the hobby?

Edited by fseva

Okay, I understand your disappointment. For $25-30 you expected contemporary detailing.

This Cougar kit dates back to 13 TV channels and rotary telephones. It was the Kat's a$$ back in 1969 when before all the kit's chassis consisted of one solid piece of axles and exhaust held on with 4 screws.

In addition, I would have liked to know all of this BEFORE I went and bought one. I hope that hobbyists here at MCM will be forthright in their appraisal of releases by R2, and tell me what I need and want to know instead of giving a lilly-livered manufacturer-pandering thumbs-up to everything they put out.

I mean, aren't you guys tired of the stuff the media shovels in an attempt to hide the fact that reviewed kits are NOT always as good as the writers/editors tell you they are? Don't you just hate to have to pay for such drivel and then "get taken" by the manufacturers, too!?

Edited by fseva

When I got serious about the hobby in college, one of the first skills I had to learn was grinding out molded in exhausts and filling in the chassis. I remember when the '66 Nova was released, and how much it changed the future of the hobby. I can almost imagine what a shock it would be for a younger (under 35) builder who has been raised on platform interiors, separate suspension components and exhausts and the like to be faced with one of these older kits for the first time. It would be like transitioning from a cushy SUV with auto everything to driving a Model T. (" whaddya mean I have to adjust my ignition while I'm driving?!?")

With that said, I think the reissues are great as we get to build some of the older styles without having to break the bank and rip up old collectible kits. I think every model builder should try his hand at building at least one kit that was tooled up before he was born. The bodies on these older kits are usually pretty accurate, due to the involvement of the auto companies in the promo business. There is usually a bit more cleanup than we are used to due to the age of the tooling (flash) and the design limitations of the older tools. (sink marks) The bodies on the older kits really POP when they are nicely painted and foiled, too, as the emblems are usually a bit deeper (Designed so that they could still be read after being brush painted) and the trim is a bit more prominent. As for the chassis, engines and interiors, they really need to be picked out with the paint brush. The challenge in these older kits is to paint the molded in parts really cleanly so they look like separate pieces, and to give the details a bit more life through different shades and finishes.

It would almost be a fun challenge to have a community build where we all built a kit from one of these old tools. Most of the really early ones with holes in the blocks and the like have been retired or retooled, but there are some pretty neat old kits out there that are not up to modern standards. It would be fun to have as many people as possible build different kits. Some just lack details, like the Cougar, some have molded in details like the AMT '64 Impala and many others have really tricky fit, like the Revell Willys Pickups, but they can all be great projects. I think I might build one of My Cougars after seeing the pictures in this thread. Or, if I'm really feeling the desire, I have a few older tools, like the '61 Ford Styleline, the Ranchero, or a '63 Vette. I need a good fun, build for Spring!

Edited by DaveM

Have I said enough? There just isn't any more in the way of good stuff, but if I discover a wonderful fuzzy feeling from a final assembly that goes like a miracle, I'll add it to this review... but don't hold your breath!

I did promise, and now I am fulfilling my promise! Final assembly did go surprisingly well - both of the bumpers fit in the areas designed without modification of any kind. And once the kingpins had been firmed up with a bit more Tenax, the wheels rolled very nicely. I am surprised and over-the-moon that I could finally say something nice about this kit.

I expect any $25 kit to be decent and use today's technololgy. It isn't as if AMT is telling us before release that their kits are using 40-50 year old tooling! Until someone "in the know" posts a pre-release synopsis of the goals/plans of the kit manufacturer! Armed with that kind of info, do you think I would have bought one? Not on your life! And how many more guys like me are there that do not have insider information about these new/old kits who will feel that they've been taken to the cleaners and that their $25 was wasted? I would think that could even dissuade them from pursuing this hobby, and that wouldn't be good for any of us.

The manufacturers do, indeed, let us know that kits will be all-new, reissued or whatever. That info is available here in this forum, in the other car model mag forum and in the manufacturers' press releases. That info wasn't so readily available 40 years ago; then again, there were no 50-year-old molds in existence at that time. $25.00 does not guarantee anything when buying a kit, except that it will have a body, chassis, tires and wheels. For that money, you will find some rocks, and you will find some gems. Things have changed A LOT in 40 years.

Everybody knew this '69 Cougar kit pretty well before it was released. I did not expect state of the art. Only the box art surprised me, sort of.

But I am glad the tool still exists. A clever person would adapt a newer Mustang kit chassis to update it.

It makes me think about the simple kits that are now lost, that I wish still existed. Those include the AMT Craftsman kits like the 59 Ford, Mercury and Lincoln or even a MPC '68-'69 Impala. We were lucky that the 63 Impala and 64 Comet were found. Before ERTL found the '63 Impala, that un-built kit was getting $200 in 1985 or so. Builders don't want to pay collector prices. $25-30 is a better price for them.

You never know, this might be the last opportunity to buy a cheap un-built '69 Cougar.

I think the review was pretty fair on the kit. Thankfully this kit is still available and has been reissued once again. Thankfully with correct box art. Does anyone remember the box art with the 428 Cougar but had only this 302 Eliminator in the box.

This box art is done in the AMT 1969 style but is for the current Eliminator version and is different from the original box art, which was for an XR 7.

Edited by sfhess

It would almost be a fun challenge to have a community build where we all built a kit from one of these old tools. Most of the really early ones with holes in the blocks and the like have been retired or retooled, but there are some pretty neat old kits out there that are not up to modern standards. It would be fun to have as many people as possible build different kits.

Sounds like a great idea. Let me know when we've got the list of eligible kits--I'm pretty sure I'd have SOMETHING that would qualify.

I don't know how we could do a list of eligible kits, as it would cover the first half of modeling history. I would guess any kit with the exhaust, or suspension parts molded into the chassis would be automatically in. Other kits with lacking, or compromised detail would probably be fair game. Since the '69 Cougar is what started this whole convo, it should be included, but most of the kits I am talking about are a good bit worse than the Cougar. Several of the recent reissues from Round 2 would fit the bill, including the '55 Nomad, (or any AMT '55 Chevy car) '62 Buick, '49 Ford, '56 or AMT '57 Fords, Ranchero. '61 Galaxie, '40 Ford delivery, '62 Vette, '65 and '66 Galaxies, '53 Stude. Most of the AMT/MPC '32s, Revell's Roth '57 Chevy reissue and their '56 Ford Pickup, AMT's '58, '63 and '64 Impala kits, and tons of others. (I may be wrong about the lack of detail on some of these, as I am not at my stash to look at all of them right now) I'm pretty sure the '63 Vette is crude. I am debating whether or not I want to open mine and build it, or trade it off.

Revell's '29 pickup and '31 Sedan are pretty crude by current standards, as are AMT's '25 "T" 2 kit specials. (Especially the stock version) Probably any kit made before 1970 would be found lacking by today's standards. Even a lot of the annuals made in the Mid '70s were pretty rough, like the Pacer and Gremlin. I think the Pacer might even have the leaf springs and rear molded into the chassis. Heck, the '61and '64 Fords and the old '64 Comet don't even have engines! I don't know what kits you have in your stash, but I would bet one of them has a pretty bland chassis or engine compartment. Any kit with the front seats molded into the interior bucket is a great candidate! (I think the '63 'Vette has this feature)

I just discovered I can't post a photo to this site to save my life, so I'm going to have to fix that problem before I can get involved in a community build, but I can set one up on the page if it's okay with the bosses. It would be fun to see what we can all do with these classic kits. I plan on building mine pretty much straight from the box with a bit of foil, and using paints to pull out the details. I'm not looking to grind away and replace exhausts, suspensions etc. I will take my time, remove copyrights, parting lines, injector pin marks and the like, and I'll fill in sink holes and make the parts fit. My thought was to show that these old kits, even though they are not up to modern molding standards, can make some nice looking shelf models. They just take a slightly different set of skills than the 150 piece "shake the box" kits.

I am tossing my 2 cents in here. This is a pretty nice kit, and can be built up very nicely with little to no extra work. Is it dated? Yup, but it is accurate when it comes to the appearance? Sure is. Want better detail? Whack off the front inner fenders and add some shock towers from another kit. That would make a huge difference.

Funny how people gripe about a re-release of a nice kit, but ohhhhh, they find a vintage Johan kit for $40 or $50, you would think the gods looked down upon them.

Would people complain if OOP kits cam back (Johans, AMT 69 Impala, 68 Galaxie ect ect) Sure, but most would be happy as pigs in mud.

All the AMT kits are re-releases. R2 is doing a good job of restoring and correcting them also. Maybe next they will update some of them. Til then, I'll take the re-release over paying big $$ for something they quit making years ago.

Some of the kits DaveM listed are really nice considering the age of their molds. Several have their major issue being the molded exhausts, others are old screw bottoms. Ironic thing about those kits are the accuracy of the finished product is pretty darn good. Put them all next to each other and the proportions are almost spot on.

Edited by Sledsel

Called me "on the carpet"? You just said, "You're dead wrong" and then wouldn't stand behind your opinion by giving some evidence. And why do you jump to the conclusion that I should not even "want" to build an old tool? Where did that come from? Would you prefer that I NOT be in the hobby?

I did not have to provide proof, others posted pics. Your attitude tells me you don't want old tools. I don't care if you want to be in the hobby or not. Most responding to you made mention the kit is not that bad.

I am tossing my 2 cents in here. This is a pretty nice kit, and can be built up very nicely with little to no extra work. Is it dated? Yup, but it is accurate when it comes to the appearance? Sure is. Want better detail? Whack off the front inner fenders and add some shock towers from another kit. That would make a huge difference.

Funny how people gripe about a re-release of a nice kit, but ohhhhh, they find a vintage Johan kit for $40 or $50, you would think the gods looked down upon them.

Would people complain if OOP kits cam back (Johans, AMT 69 Impala, 68 Galaxie ect ect) Sure, but most would be happy as pigs in mud.

All the AMT kits are re-releases. R2 is doing a good job of restoring and correcting them also. Maybe next they will update some of them. Til then, I'll take the re-release over paying big $$ for something they quit making years ago.

Some of the kits DaveM listed are really nice considering the age of their molds. Several have their major issue being the molded exhausts, others are old screw bottoms. Ironic thing about those kits are the accuracy of the finished product is pretty darn good. Put them all next to each other and the proportions are almost spot on.

Agree completely. And as I'm not that big into engine/chassis detailing, I rather enjoy the old kits, as long as the body shape is correct. They can look just as good sitting on the shelf as the latest SOTA superkit with 150+ parts.

Agree completely. And as I'm not that big into engine/chassis detailing, I rather enjoy the old kits, as long as the body shape is correct. They can look just as good sitting on the shelf as the latest SOTA superkit with 150+ parts.

I'm with you there, especially since many "new tools" are less correct than 40-50 year old kits

Looking at your responses Mr. Eva, it looks like no matter what people say here, your going to dislike or disagree with it. I like AMT's '69 Cougar, and it's time to go on a read more productive threads here.

Scott

Scott, I think you need to re-read my posts - I'm only trying to answer the instant and volatile replies that have been posted here. BTW, are you the moderator?

I did not have to provide proof, others posted pics. Your attitude tells me you don't want old tools. I don't care if you want to be in the hobby or not. Most responding to you made mention the kit is not that bad.

OK - it seems as if you're trying to offer an olive branch, and I'll accept that. I understand what the other guys were saying about the big picture, specifically the look of the completed model. I now have one as well, and have already posted a message to this thread that indicates that I am now happy to make a complimentary comment on this kit. I hope you will see that as my olive branch.