Model Cars Magazine Forum

Alfa Romeo Tipo B P3 (1937)

Wow. Looks like a metal kit. Is the engine stand included?

Hi Pat,

The kit is mostly metal, yes. The stand is not included, but the engine is detailed enough that I bought a second engine kit from Revival to display outside the model on a base. This required me to scratch-build a stand from Evergreen structural shapes. There are 133 pieces in the stand which is styrene except for the wheels which were cut from brass tubing and castor mounts bent up from brass strip. Lots of Tichy Train Group styrene nuts and bolts on both the stand and engine. Thousands, I think....... :blink:

Edited by BSteinIPMS

Those engine shots are beyond belief. I don't know what reference you have, but as a longtime Alfisto, I would certainly go with Rosso Corsa red.

Hey Skip.....where's Detective Sergeant Joe Friday? How can I give you the facts, ma'am.....just the facts? :lol:

For references on the Alfa Romeo Type B (P3) I have three of the best:

Hull, Peter: Alfa Romeo Monoposto Type B (P3), Cars in Profile, Volume 1, Profile Publications Ltd., Windsor, Berkshire, England, 1973.

Ludvigsen, Karl: Italian Racing Red, Ian Allan Publishing, Hersham, Surrey, UK, 2007.

Hull, Peter: Alfa Romeo, Ballantine Books, New York, NY, 1971.

I agree that red is the most iconic color for this car which achieved so much when driven by Nuvolari, Caracciola, and Campari, but since I have several Grand Prix cars in red already I thought British Racing Green would be a nice change. This particular car was driven by Kenneth Evans at Brooklands in 1937 and is attractive in its own right.

Cheers!

--Bob

Edited by BSteinIPMS

Woah...

You can't just sneak this kind of thing in here unannounced like that without some kind of lead in explaining yourself and shock the ..... :lol::lol::lol:

That looks amazing Bob

Very well done engine

I will be following

Cheers

Hi Bruce,

Didn't mean to burst in unannounced, just didn't have much to show until now. ;)

Are there TWO driveshafts on that car?

You have a discerning eye, Pat. Yes, there are. The final drive from the gearbox ran to an attached differential which then split the drive into two torque tubes housing two propeller shafts which ran back to two bevel gearboxes on the rear axle. The advantages of this design were (1) it offered a slightly lower seating position for the driver who sat between the torque tubes, (2) it allowed a lower unsprung and axle weight since the axle carried no differential, and (3) it facilitated final gear ratio changes to suit various race courses. I've tried to show this using aluminum and brass tubing for the torque tubes and propeller shafts.

Edited by BSteinIPMS

Beautiful work Bob!

Does that mean you are building two engines?

Looking forward to seeing more of this!

Tom

Yes I am, Tom. One engine will be mounted in the car with the hood (bonnet) panels open, and the other will be displayed on the engine stand next to the model on the base.

Right up my alley

Beautiful engine so far and fantastic engine stand scratch build

Have not heard of these kits before, thanks for posting

Hi Scott,

If you have the interest, the Website for Revival Models is: http://revivalinternational.mysupersite.it/

I ordered my kit directly from Italy, along with a second engine they sell separately as a kit. You'll receive a warranty slip with a serial number which you can copy and send back should you need any replacement parts that somehow became broken or lost. My kit arrived well-packaged and in excellent condition, and I did ask for three missing parts which came in about two weeks. Good service.

Cheers!

--Bob

Oh boy, here I go again

Love all these kits, it is gonna be hard on my wallet!

Looking for a Bugatti type 35....I did the 1/24 kit as a kid and want it in a bigger scale

Hi Scott,

If you have the interest, the Website for Revival Models is: http://revivalinternational.mysupersite.it/

I ordered my kit directly from Italy, along with a second engine they sell separately as a kit. You'll receive a warranty slip with a serial number which you can copy and send back should you need any replacement parts that somehow became broken or lost. My kit arrived well-packaged and in excellent condition, and I did ask for three missing parts which came in about two weeks. Good service.

Cheers!

--Bob

Looking for a Bugatti type 35....I did the 1/24 kit as a kid and want it in a bigger scale

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

Bob you did a fantastic job with the motor and the stand tops it all off. I've built a handful of these kits and have about a dozen remaining on the shelf. To say the least...these kits can really test your patience but when you get them right they build up absolutely beautiful. Good luck. I look forward to you progress.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Well, both engines are finished and have 1020 pieces between them. One will be mounted in the car while the other will be displayed on its stand next to the finished model. You gotta love that Alclad II. :)

These kits from Revival Models are best tackled if you're an intermediate or advanced modeler, mostly because there are no instructions per se. Just several exploded drawings which task you with deciding on assembly sequences and which screws go where. Still, I'm having great fun with this.

013_zpscafefebc.jpg

014_zps2cf85db1.jpg

015_zps13136ea7.jpg

016_zps6f4b54a3.jpg

017_zps471cfa3c.jpg

018_zps16e4c2ad.jpg

• 4 weeks later...