Model Cars Magazine Forum

Was Santa good to you?

I have a spare bedroom, that is basically full of kits...lol it kinda looks like a mini hobby shop. I have everything from Military armor....planes...street rods...race cars.....and rig kits lol! a little of everything.....that way I dont get burned out or bored! :rolleyes::P

Im slowly catching up. I have half a room at the moment. But i know the pile is gonna get bigger with both rigs, pick ups, hot rods, muscle cars, and who knows what else. I did the RC desl for awhile, i could stand bashing a 50 dollar body with a nice paint job anymore. That and it was expensive. I spent probably around 100 bucks a race on parts. Guess i wasnt very good at it, that doesnt help.

Oh....I crashed my 50 class heli once in 4 years..... I had a guy that I flew with that crashed his pretty much every other weekend!......He kept doing stupid stuff that he wasn't ready for. He wouldn't listen.....so this was always the end result :lol:

009-9_zps9f05ea20.jpg

This was how I brought mine home every weekend...

002-15_zps426366e2.jpg

Edited by Dirt Demon

I also raced RC cars on the dirt ...carpet and pavement for 9 years way back in my teens and early 20's..... Helis are the toughest thing in RC to learn to master. If you can fly a heli.....you can fly anything. I had 2 complete ready to fly birds....almost 2 grand into each one and a $600.00 radio to control them!....when you start piling them in the ground, it will put you in the poorhouse fast! The guy I flew with was an "expert" at destroying helicopters! :rolleyes:

lol, are we all brothers or something? i have a dozen r/c trucks out in the garage. HPI savage's [1/8th scale], a couple HPI nitro m/t's [1/10th], a storm buggy, and HPI hellfire, a losi lst 2 and a few others, along with 30 or so bodies, several tire sets and enough support equiptment to start a hobby shop.

and yes, my wife is pretty cool about my plastic addiction B)

Well Tom....at one point I sat down and figured out what all I had RC Heli related.... I tallied everything up and it was close to $8,000 invested!..... I have sold everything and have been out of it for a few years now...... But I look back and say Wow!!.... What was I thinking?...lol that's a huge Chunk of change ..lol

Edited by Dirt Demon

Bill, i hear that, i still have all the r/c stuff in the garage, i figure i have about 10k wrapped up in all that stuff, but now the market has passed for the kinda stuff i have, so it sits there untill i feel like playing with it again, rather than take a huge loss on selling it all.

Yeah that the problem with RC stuff Tom......the technology in the hobby increases so fast.... what was the hot ticket two months ago,,,,,is outdated now. Crazy how it works. I took a loss on a lot of what I had, but wanted it gone. At the time I was ready to give it up...nitro fuel prices went through the roof because of the Olympics in China. Main Nitro fuel suppliers stopped making it. 30% heli fuel was pushing 35 bucks a gallon! just crazy! :o

I had 2 HPI Blitz short course trucks and a Losi SCB, short course buggy. I had probably 4 grand wrapped up in that between tires and bodies and extra parts for each. I wasnt having fun doing it. If im not enjoying a hobby, why am i doing it. Do i sold the buggy and 1 of the trucks. I kept 1 to play with when i wanted. Kept a 5700 kw brushless Castle system for it, a set of dirt tires, off the Traxxas Slash, and a set of paddle tires for the sand.

I was enjoying the RC Helicopter thing.... But it got to the point where you couldn't go flying down at the school fields because there was something going on down there all the time. Other than the school..... The nearest flying field that was AMA sanctioned was 45 minutes away. To far to go to get in few flights..... not to mention Heli fuel prices were getting outrageous.... So I decided to give it up.'

my son and I would primarily just bash around the back yard with them, I got a huge back yard, so we'd build ramps and what not and just have a blast. every now and again, we'd get together with a few guys and go over to a local track and mess around. never raced, as that seemed like work to me, plus I never could drive worth a BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH, lol. I was buying fuel for @ $25 a gallon for trinity monster power 25%. I do miss the smell of nitro :D