Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12th COPO Camaro just getting started

jaftygas

Well I got an idea of what to do for the hinge side of the door jambs.

post-13844-0-75373400-1420428227_thumb.j

I will make them as close to stock style as possible. I will fit a template for styrene then make the parts out of .018 thou KS aluminum. First I fit the template then prove it.

post-13844-0-75699200-1420428380_thumb.j

Next I lay the template out.

post-13844-0-31738500-1420428762_thumb.j

Then make two symmetrical aluminum parts.

post-13844-0-42676400-1420429021_thumb.j

Then after some cutting and hammering, I test fit.

post-13844-0-22658100-1420429159_thumb.j

And I'm happy with how it's going, so work tommarow. Looks like time for a beer and then bed. Thanks for checking all. Joe

Are you doing COPO 9560 (aluminum) or 9561 (iron L72)?

Don't forget, the kit's Rallys are still a correct option for either. B)

I know the Yenko came with the Rally wheels standard, but didn't the COPO just come with the body colored steel wheels only?

In any case, I'll be watching this build since I love watching people build these 1/12 scale kits (plus this isn't the usual pro street car either :P )

I know the Yenko came with the Rally wheels standard, but didn't the COPO just come with the body colored steel wheels only?

In any case, I'll be watching this build since I love watching people build these 1/12 scale kits (plus this isn't the usual pro street car either :P )

Yenko cars were Copos in 69. however the steel wheels were more common.

Yenkos, also being COPO 9737s, were all built with 15x7 Rally Wheels (same as standard on '69 Z/28s). Yenko swapped the wheels out for Atlas mags on many (though not all) of them. I've also seen pics of them in fairly new condition with Cragars and Keystones.

Yenkos, also being COPO 9737s, were all built with 15x7 Rally Wheels (same as standard on '69 Z/28s). Yenko swapped the wheels out for Atlas mags on many (though not all) of them. I've also seen pics of them in fairly new condition with Cragars and Keystones.

Thanks rich I thought so, but I think I've seen torque thrust on them as well, in any case thic COPO will have torque thrust

I believe the ZL1 cars came with steelies.

Yes Tim most did, and the ones that still exist (very little I might add )have steelies, however many had rally's all the yenko copos had rallies and lots were sold in like 1972 throughout 1973 at dealers with 5 spoke mags. You have to think the COPO ZL1 was literally priced twice the price of a base model V8 with options. This made them extremely hard to sell, so 5 spoke mags were an attempt at selling more, lots were sent back to GM as I understand. Again I'm no expert I was just being conceived at the time.and let's also remember that out of 69 total production I think only six exist in the registry. One # 48 the most original is in Canada, and is the only one in that country. This model has to have some of my imagination in it , or it just wouldn't be quite as fun.?

Edited by jaftygas

Regarding the 1969 ZL1 Camaro :

From what little I know about them , Fred Gibb couldn't sell them at the ridiculous price (as previously stated twice what a nicely-optioned SS would set you back !) , so he made a deal where GM in es "bought" them back , and shuffled them to other dealers ( I'm guessing that Nickey , Yenko , and perhaps , Dana , and Baldwin ) . These dealers added RS equipment and other embellishments to gussie 'em up .

Money was lost on every one of them .

Please correct my info . Maybe I'm confusing the ZL1 with the COPO L-72 427 Fred Gibb cars ?

FWIW , I'm in the planning stages of building the Revell 1969 COPO Camaro to represent one of the few column-shift TH-400 models.

...and shuffled them to other dealers ( I'm guessing that Nickey , Yenko , and perhaps , Dana , and Baldwin ) . These dealers added RS equipment and other embellishments to gussie 'em up .

I believe the full history including selling dealer of every one of the 69 ZL-1s is known and documented. I think I have the stuff around here somewhere.

I don't believe any ZL-1s were converted to RS, but two were built that way at the factory (IIRC, one silver, one Lemans Blue).

I believe the full history including selling dealer of every one of the 69 ZL-1s is known and documented. I think I have the stuff around here somewhere.

I don't believe any ZL-1s were converted to RS, but two were built that way at the factory (IIRC, one silver, one Lemans Blue).

Yep, but not LaMans blue the lighter blue with a white vinyl top and R/S grille.

Regarding the 1969 ZL1 Camaro :

From what little I know about them , Fred Gibb couldn't sell them at the ridiculous price (as previously stated twice what a nicely-optioned SS would set you back !) , so he made a deal where GM in es "bought" them back , and shuffled them to other dealers ( I'm guessing that Nickey , Yenko , and perhaps , Dana , and Baldwin ) . These dealers added RS equipment and other embellishments to gussie 'em up .

Money was lost on every one of them .

Please correct my info . Maybe I'm confusing the ZL1 with the COPO L-72 427 Fred Gibb cars ?

FWIW , I'm in the planning stages of building the Revell 1969 COPO Camaro to represent one of the few column-shift TH-400 models.

I said I'm no expert, and only as good as the Blah blah, you read on the net I wasn't there. And I thought ALL ZL cars were M22 Muncie 4 speeds. I've been a lot more wrong than this before. Keep the posts comin I love to learn and discuss this guys. What a fun site, and I should be working on my door jambs.

Yep, but not LaMans blue the lighter blue with a white vinyl top and R/S grille.

No, it was Lemans Blue.

VIN 641266 (#55)
Ordering Dealer: Whit Chevrolet, Fayetteville, Arkansas
Selling Dealer:  Whit Chevrolet, Fayetteville, Arkansas
  • 5M22 Special 4-Speed Transmission
  • 5A01 Soft-Ray Tinted Glass
  • 5C08 Vinyl Top
  • 5D55 Center Console
  • 5D80 Air Spoiler Equipment
  • 5N40 Power Steering
  • 5U17 Special Instrumentation
  • 5U63 AM Pushbutton Radio
  • 5U80 Rear Seat Speaker
  • 5Z22 Rally Sport Equipment
  • 5Z23 Special Interior Group
  • 5727 White Vinyl Trim
  • 5924 71-71 LeMans Blue

No, it was Lemans Blue.

VIN 641266 (#55)
Ordering Dealer: Whit Chevrolet, Fayetteville, Arkansas
Selling Dealer:  Whit Chevrolet, Fayetteville, Arkansas
  • 5M22 Special 4-Speed Transmission
  • 5A01 Soft-Ray Tinted Glass
  • 5C08 Vinyl Top
  • 5D55 Center Console
  • 5D80 Air Spoiler Equipment
  • 5N40 Power Steering
  • 5U17 Special Instrumentation
  • 5U63 AM Pushbutton Radio
  • 5U80 Rear Seat Speaker
  • 5Z22 Rally Sport Equipment
  • 5Z23 Special Interior Group
  • 5727 White Vinyl Trim
  • 5924 71-71 LeMans Blue

Thats freakin cool Rich, I stand corrected and more educated. I like the LaMans blue better anyway.

Sorry I have not posted in awhile, as I am busy with work, and some family stuff. I will be back at it as soon as time will permit. It's an inconvenience as much to me as the ones watching I assure you. Thanks I hope to be back in about a month. :(