Model Cars Magazine Forum

Box art and your decision?

So you literally buy the kit only for the box? Just want to be clear... and if that is indeed the case, please explain why you would pay the money for a model kit just to get the box. Not trying to be a wise guy. Just trying to understand your thinking.

That one particular one, yes I did, thanks for your concern. I thought it was attractive. And I will, hopefully, build the model inside (or at least use it for parts on other projects). It ain't like I bought a kit of a car I didn't like.

And I had a 40% off coupon on it. So there.

Yes, I like box art and will buy certain models just for that. Why? Because it is cool to me and I do not have to explain it anymore than that to anyone.

OTB006.jpg

You want to keep your kits in brown paper bags, then help yourself and go eat your baloney sandwich on plain white bread before it gets warm

Edited by Daddyfink

If im at the LHS with no particular kit in mind, a more appealing box art will grab my attention. Like the '55 Prosportsman for example. The original box had the 1:1 on it and the reissue was a pretty plain, pastel painted kit. Not saying anything on quality or accuracy of the kit, but the plain, pastel kit on the box never caught my attention. Me, personally, like the 90s AMT box art. From what i can remember it was mostly a decent pic of the kit, which i liked. I bought a few camaros, chevelles, and others. So for me, if i dont have an idea or plan on what im buying, i look at the shelves and look at kits that catch my eye. Then ill look at all the pics on the box. It does help mg decision if they show a few pics of kit, interior, under carriage, engine compartment, and so on. But if have an idea of what i want to but, ill post a few questions or ask for feedback on which kit, which brand would be better, what issues there may be.

To me box art is everything. Take for instance The Rat Packer Nova. Just the way the model is represented on the box, excites me. I know I can at least build it that way. Of course there are many ways to build a kit, but by looking at the art work if is a big reason for my getting the kit. Also look at The Pontiac Tempest The Farmer, the mustang model the 65 Ford Falcon. All of them are the same thing except for the body. I know what to expect when I see one of those. After seeing dozens upon dozens of models on the forums, I just about know what to expect from seeing them in either stock format or a custom build. So yes, I really choose models via their box art, because I can build box stock or go hog wild and do a super hack on it.

Box art is good for reference or ideas, but I've never bought a kit based solely on it. Whenever I buy a kit, I put all the parts trees in gallon Ziploc baggies along with the instructions, then I cut the box apart and save the pics to use as a reference for engine bay parts, color ideas, decal placement, etc. Out of all the models I've built, I can think of only two where I built the kit nearly identical to the picture on the top, and one of those was the Batmobile so it really doesn't count.

Yes, I like box art and will buy certain models just for that. Why? Because it is cool to me and I do not have to explain it anymore than that to anyone.

OTB006.jpg

You want to keep your kits in brown paper bags, then help yourself and go eat your baloney sandwich on plain white bread before it gets warm

hey Jesse, I will let you have the pinto box if I can have the content....hehe....

I have nearly a dozen of these kits in various interperations,,,,,But I plan to buy one of these,,solely because of the box artwork.

I build old drag cars and this box just screams at me I NEED it .

But ,,Yes if the price is right and the box artwork depicts the cars/style/era I like. I would buy an empty box .

As an example there is an old AMT Corvette I wouldnt mind having the box ,even if it was empty. IF it is reasonablely priced

Edited by gtx6970

Well, modelers can use their airbrushes too to make a substandard kit look better.

The thing is, box art shouldn't be misleading as to what's possible with a kit. Monogram is doing a pretty good job with this.

I agree, but it's called marketing (or advertising?). Like just about anything else that we consumers purchase, the packaging is always made to be impressive, no matter the contents.

Heller came out with a series of LeMans/Roadrace Cars with Covers of Brush Painted Art. OK I wouldn't pay a premium for one, but I would buy/trade for the ones I don't have Just Because of the Box Art.

3-15-2011Heller917K.jpg

I have that kit, and I built the Ferrari 330 from that series. They are perfect examples of kits that are out done by their box art.

I'm not saying they are unbuildable, but they are very rough kits. I'll never build that 917.

So you literally buy the kit only for the box? Just want to be clear... and if that is indeed the case, please explain why you would pay the money for a model kit just to get the box. Not trying to be a wise guy. Just trying to understand your thinking.

Sometimes you have to buy the kit to get the box. I did this with several old 1:32 Revell aircraft kits. Sold the kits as bagged items, but kept the boxes, as that's what I was after to begin with.

I have that kit, and I built the Ferrari 330 from that series. They are perfect examples of kits that are out done by their box art.

I'm not saying they are unbuildable, but they are very rough kits. I'll never build that 917.

Granted they can use...........help to be their best, BUT I'll just Bet the 330 you did came out GREAT!!

Granted they can use...........help to be their best, BUT I'll just Bet the 330 you did came out GREAT!!

I didn't think so. I did it for a magazine article and wasn't pleased with how it looked when it was done.

I donated it to a friend's Ferrari collection some time ago. After I race weathered it to distract from some of the fit issues.

Edited by Scale-Master

When I was around 3 or 4 years old (1974) , I remember seeing what appeared to be a life-sized car ---in kit-form--- on the top shelf at the local department store . I was mesmerised !

I thought , I can build that and drive it around afterward ?!?

post-6643-0-99234000-1420681267_thumb.jp

My rationale was , If those are adults next to the car [ on the box art ] , then I can fit inside and drive it [because I'm smaller than they are] !

Revell's 1970's offerings were a trap ! I knew that the kit was impossible to build , but I'd hoped with each successive attempt ... !

I can look past the art.but I have to be honest.given two kits tge same but different box art..I will take and am drawn towards the box art that get imagination going...I do love alot of the box art that was in that era.it just sucks me in.....shoot me! But I love it.

In 2015, there is NO reason to make a buying decision based on box art when you can find images of a built kit online, where you can analyze it to your heart's content.

In my case, I don't have that luxury all the time.

I have zero money. All the kits I get new are bought by other people for me.

Usually, we're in Hobby Lobby or something and they say, "You can get one model kit."

I can't say, "Let me look up all of them, read reviews, make a decision, yeah?"

No. I have to make the decision then and there to buy something, otherwise I get nothing. That's why I trust the box art so much.

In my case, I don't have that luxury all the time.

I have zero money. All the kits I get new are bought by other people for me.

Usually, we're in Hobby Lobby or something and they say, "You can get one model kit."

I can't say, "Let me look up all of them, read reviews, make a decision, yeah?"

No. I have to make the decision then and there to buy something, otherwise I get nothing. That's why I trust the box art so much.

Why not do some research before heading out to Hobby Lobby? You seem to have a lot of excuses as to why things won't work for you, but you have the internet (obviously) and it has a ton of answers and info that could help you out before heading to the store. There's a lot info right here in fact. At least you could familiarize yourself with a few kits that interest you with the odds being in your favor that at least one would be at the store. You could even call and check if they have a handful of kits you're interested in on hand so you could lessen the chances of learning about something they might not have.

If im unsure of what to buy on the fly. The box art that gets my attention helps my decision. But not totally. I dont buy based on box art, ill look at the model, look at the pics on the box. I wont buy a poor quality kit because the box is nice. The only boxes i keep are ones i put spare parts in, big truck parts in a big truck box, car parts in a car box and so on. Any other box is tossed. If the box has a pic of the built kit, i will look and see what i would change about it. Today i picked up the Revell Jeep Rubicon, and saw what i can change and make it better, and not a whole lot of work. A little extra here, some styrene there, a cut and shave here.

When i started this thread, i never thought it would get pages of conversation. Kinda cool what a topic about box art can be. Many different views on it.

Edited by Petetrucker07