Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius 71 Ranger Pickup

Daf57

Isn't it possible to be happy this kit has been done, while at the same time pointing out problem areas? I think a lot of little things could stand correcting (and perhaps some big ones) on these trucks, but I'm no less happy Moebius is offering them. I have 4 of them so far.

Yes, we can be happy with kits while pointing out problems.  It is when pointing out problems becomes an obsession to the point of implying that the kit tooling was copied is simply ludicrous.  Others saying that the kit is so bad as to be not worth purchasing or building only hurts the prospects of future offerings in this series.  A little rework to the grilles is probably in order, but compare these with the AMT offerings.  Before I retired, I worked for DaimlerChrysler.  We would gather with our German counterparts to focus on future joint "back shop" projects that could be shared across both companies.  Too many projects died because our German counterparts focused on the 5% of the project that couldn't be shared rather than moving forward with the 95% that could be.  The Germans would make it sound like this small area of disagreement was 90% of the project, not 5%, and as a result top management is Germany would kill the joint projects to the overall detriment of the company.  Let's focus on the great aspects of these kits while noting that a few things are less than ideal, but not show stoppers.

I won't be commenting anymore on this topic as it takes away from my building time which is far more uplifting than listening to bitches, not just on this board, but on others as well by the same folks.  Life is too short and model building is a fun hobby.  And after building for 60 years, I still love it.

A.J.

Yes, we can be happy with kits while pointing out problems.  It is when pointing out problems becomes an obsession to the point of implying that the kit tooling was copied is simply ludicrous.  Others saying that the kit is so bad as to be not worth purchasing or building only hurts the prospects of future offerings in this series.  A little rework to the grilles is probably in order, but compare these with the AMT offerings.  Before I retired, I worked for DaimlerChrysler.  We would gather with our German counterparts to focus on future joint "back shop" projects that could be shared across both companies.  Too many projects died because our German counterparts focused on the 5% of the project that couldn't be shared rather than moving forward with the 95% that could be.  The Germans would make it sound like this small area of disagreement was 90% of the project, not 5%, and as a result top management is Germany would kill the joint projects to the overall detriment of the company.  Let's focus on the great aspects of these kits while noting that a few things are less than ideal, but not show stoppers.

I won't be commenting anymore on this topic as it takes away from my building time which is far more uplifting than listening to bitches, not just on this board, but on others as well by the same folks.  Life is too short and model building is a fun hobby.  And after building for 60 years, I still love it.

A.J.

Well said and my sentiments exactly. Disappointed that there are a couple of errors? Yes, but I will take the kit and build it regardless. 

Some people seem to be conflating objective criticism with outright rejection...  I am happy these trucks have been released, but it doesn't mean I have to accept all the flaws.  I have both kits and I will build them, but I'll also be correcting things which shouldn't need correcting.

From plowboy's comparison, it seems pretty obvious that those parts were derived from the old AMT tooling.  Remember, the first test shots had the same Dana axle as the AMT kits as well.  Would you really expect to see exactly the same parts breakdown and exact same shape moulded parts locators (look at the block/trans locator and the top of the carb)?   That's a big coincidence on kits tooled 40 years apart by different companies.    Compare with the FE engines in the AMT '66/'67 Fairlane and Comet, or the '60 Starliner - those are streets ahead in detail.

Edited by dodgefever

• 1 month later...