Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius 71 Ranger Pickup

Daf57

I got the '69 F-100 in the mail today , and all that I can say is WOW !!

The 240" I-6 is an example of beauty on its own !

The "F-250" hub caps don't bother me in the least ---- actually , they were the lone deciding factor in my purchase of the MK version ! Yes , they'll be finding their way onto my build .

I'm a little east of the valley, but I ordered 2. I think someone needs to do a kit review of this.

LOL, you are kidding right?

I got both kits and they look good to me. I found pretty good photos of the 68 grill, after a lot of searching, if anyone needs them. It looks like you can easily make a 68, which is what I needed. I still need to come up with a Ranger emblem.

Anyone know if a 70 is being planned in the future?

Early sprue shot images with the gates opened up showed '69 - '72 grilles.

Thanks but you mean 71 right?

That would be sad if they didn't consider the 68, 70 and 72. Those grills in different versions would boost sales.

The image showed '69, '70, '71 & '72 grilles.

That's it! I'm going to have to sell my house to afford all the kits Moebius is going to put out. I'll just have to build the rest of my models living in a van, down by the river!!! (I do have a van, but i don't have a river...) Maybe a 4X4, and OOOOH! I can do the '72 plow truck my Dad use to use at work. I remember riding with him while he plowed the access roads and parking area a few times. Hopefully you end up doing a grille for a '68 someday too... Then I would have to sell the van...

Thanks, Dave. Enjoy my next six Month's worth of paychecks. :lol:

Just bought the '71 at my LHS and I can honestly say that it's the worst molded kit I've ever held in my hands. How a model kit with texture akin to lacquer burn has become acceptable is beyond me. If Moebius is going to mold kits this rough, they should at least throw a sheet of 400 sandpaper in the box. I don't think molding a kit with a smooth surface is too much to ask. :rolleyes: The rough surfaces and inaccuracies has made my first Moebius kit purchase a big disappointment.

No need to sand, even. Even very thin paint coats will end up smooth. It is almost the perfect level that I would scuff my plastic to to accept primer. I wash my models with Dawn dishwashing soap and a fine brushing with a scotchbrite. That works really well, and even Tamiya fine primer applied very lightly, fills the texture. It is actually much finer than it looks. I just shot paint on the Hudson, and the texture is a total non issue. KoPro used to make airplane kits with the same texture, so it isn't a problem.

I am partway done with the Ranger, and I have fully mocked it up. The kit really goes together well, and looks fantastic. I think if you go ahead and build it, you will end up liking it. (You will have a really nice model to show for your efforts. ) Look at what Chuck Most did with his! Hopefully mine will turn out this nicely.

To get the 68 grill, here is how you paint the 69 grill.

68Grillblackedout2-vi.jpg

This photo has the Ranger emblem, missing the insert. I'm going to try and make one of those out of Styrene.

Thanks, Tom.

I thought there was a slight difference in the grilles. Now I have to go over '68 photos with a fine tooth comb. I think the rest of the truck is mostly identical to the '69. (According to WIKI)

I hope a stepside bed ends up being made too.

Worked on the kit a bit last night. I will get a camera going this weekend, but I am having fun with this one when I can get bench time.

I think it is the same, the 68 and 69. The 68 has the vertical bars painted flat black. The first photo I posted is a close-up to see how it is painted. This photo is the entire grill and the 4x4 photos shows how it makes the horizontal bars float.

68Grillblackedout-vi.jpg

69FordGrill-vi.jpg

Thanks, Tom.

I thought there was a slight difference in the grilles. Now I have to go over '68 photos with a fine tooth comb. I think the rest of the truck is mostly identical to the '69. (According to WIKI)

Worked on the kit a bit last night. I will get a camera going this weekend, but I am having fun with this one when I can get bench time.

I have a Revell & AMT stepside beds,the Revell is a better fit, & looks good too..,

Edited by thatz4u

The first two versions of this pickup gave us a long bed and a short bed, as well as both length chassis. The reason why one of them wasn't a step side is because the AMT '53 Ford pickup box is still valid for these years. Yea, Ford didn't change that box much. Some minor shape changes to the top rail, I'm sure the very picky will find more...

We know there will be at least two more year versions. I know we'll be seeing a 4x4, a small block engine and two more different bumpers. I don't remember what else Dave Burket told me a ways back. The whole idea is that you will be able to build just about anything by combining parts from the different versions.

And Dave did indicate if the voting public agreed, there may be more pickups down the road... Oh, you need to vote with your wallet!

And Dave did indicate if the voting public agreed, there may be more pickups down the road... Oh, you need to vote with your wallet!

Surely you don't mean a 73-79 F100/150? :blink:

I can say those would sell even better than the current releases. But the cash cow would be the 66-77 first gen Bronco. Why have we had to wait for so long?

Here is a website I have just been reading. Lots of information on the trucks, and some year to year changes. I don't think this one has been posted yet, but if it has, I apologize.

First up is a two pages of identification, and determining years. It shows the instrument panels, grilles, lights, valences, steering wheels and everything else that changed. Rear reflectors, door panels, emblems, pedals, shoulder belt mounts, and even ashtray differences between the model years are shown in case you want to scratchbuild an ashtray and have it be the correct depth for the model year. :D Be sure to check out page two of this document. It even shows the reflectors under the rear taillight changing between years. Nice stuff to know if you are swapping beds, or converting to a '68.

http://www.fordification.com/tech/67-72ID_01.htm

The other part is pictures of trim levels. Nice to know the different trim levels, the different tailgate treatments, lower body trim, emblems, end even glove box door badges. This will be really useful for those of us who want to tweak the trim levels, or swap parts between the '69 and '71.

Hope these help. If I had found this site earlier, I wouldn't have made an idiot of myself on the last page of this thread!

http://www.fordification.com/tech/trim.htm