Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Lindberg '66 Chevelle Super Sport

Casey

I see (in someone's avatar...you know who you are ^_^) the 1/25 Lindberg '66 Chevelle Super Sport kit is about to be reissued very soon, so until Round2 puts something up on their 'site, super-hobby has some very shots of the included parts from the last go 'round: http://www.super-hobby.com/products/1966-Chevy-Chevelle-Super-Sport.html

IIRC this one one of Lindberg best offerings during their brief renaissance back in the '90s, so I'm looking forward to seeing how Round2 packages this kit this time around.

I have this kit in the started pile along with a couple of extras for a resin conversion of a 300 coupe. This is my favorite Chevelle body style and hope to get a couple of these done this year.

Nice kit, remember some favorable reviews and should go together pretty easy.

I see (in someone's avatar...you know who you are ^_^) the 1/25 Lindberg '66 Chevelle Super Sport kit is about to be reissued very soon

I would guess the kit contents will be identical to the previous issues with a different box....I built-up on the box painted Artesian Turquoise would look nice ;)

odd of them to make the rear window surround a separate chrome piece.... it doesn't look like it's proportioned quite right in the pics, too thick. i've had to modify several of these later Lindberg kits' rear axles to support the wheels better, by cementing a steel axle in them. they're too flimsy imho without some bracing added. otherwise, Lindberg's late offerings were pretty good and gave the "other guys" something to consider...

odd of them to make the rear window surround a separate chrome piece.... it doesn't look like it's proportioned quite right in the pics, too thick.

Okay , then I wasn't seeing things then !

I appreciate their effort in moulding a backlite trim moulding ; those Flying Buttress C-pillars make 'foiling the backlite trim an exercise in frustration .

I wonder how it looks en vivo ?

I bought several of them when the kit first came out. I really enjoyed building the first one,

1966ChevelleSS396.jpg

and I plan to build several versions of the '66 Chevelle, using this kit, as well as the Revell El Camino,

1966ElCamino.jpg

and the Revell Wagon

2005_0316roadrunner0010.jpg

as the basis of several of the builds.

I may do a 4-Door Sedan, like the one Tom Elfritt did, a convertible, like Lyle Willits did, as well as a 2 Door post, like Roger Hayes did. Those are some great models, executed beautifully.

As you can tell, I like '66 Chevies, and I plan to do a dealership diorama, showcasing the entire line of 1966 Chevrolets.

I see (in someone's avatar...you know who you are ^_^) the 1/25 Lindberg '66 Chevelle Super Sport kit is about to be reissued very soon, so until Round2 puts something up on their 'site, super-hobby has some very shots of the included parts from the last go 'round: http://www.super-hobby.com/products/1966-Chevy-Chevelle-Super-Sport.html

IIRC this one one of Lindberg best offerings during their brief renaissance back in the '90s, so I'm looking forward to seeing how Round2 packages this kit this time around.

It's not as if Round 2 decided to do this recently. The 1966 Chevelle was one of the first group of Lindberg kits R2 released since it acquired Lindberg and Hawk. The kit was reissued and available for purchase since 2013. Check the release date here:

Lindberg Chevy Chevelle

It's not as if Round 2 decided to do this recently. The 1966 Chevelle was one of the first group of Lindberg kits R2 released since it acquired Lindberg and Hawk. The kit was reissued and available for purchase since 2013. Check the release date here:

Lindberg Chevy Chevelle

Yes, but that was existing product, most likely even already packaged in the old Lindberg boxes, New and not-all-that-Old Stock. This new release is only the second(?) Lindberg automotive kit to be released with (assumed) new box art, like the Little Red Wagon Dodge A-100 kit. I have seen both new and old boxes of the same LRW on store shelves, so I'm guessing Round2 is trying to clear or has cleared out any remaining dead stock they acquired with their purchase of Hawk/Lindberg. Plus, this new kit has a different stock number than the previous Lindberg kit, and should be available at more places than just the Autoworld store.

Yes, but that was existing product, most likely even already packaged in the old Lindberg boxes,

Exactly right. Round2 has assigned a different "HL"-prefix number to the upcoming release. The box art kit was built using one of the few remaining old Lindberg issues they had on hand.

I bought and built this kit back in the day. I didn't care for it then and surely don't now. While Lindberg captured the front end exactly. They dropped it at the rear of the model. The rear window is too upright and has the separate chrome trim piece. :blink: The rear quarters are pinched too much towards the rear. This causes the rear bumper to be way too short in height which in turn makes the tail light panel appear too tall, but isn't. The multi piece dash obscures almost half of the vision through the windshield. The valve covers are totally wrong as well as the rear end housing. It looks like it belongs under a 3/4 ton pickup and doesn't look like a 12 bolt at all. For those reasons, I decided to convert the Revell '67 into a '66 using the clip from an El Camino and the tail light panel/rear bumper from a Monogram kit.

I decided to convert the Revell '67 into a '66 using the clip from an El Camino and the tail light panel/rear bumper from a Monogram kit.

I'm planning to do that very thing myself, after I build a '67 El Camino, using the leftover pieces.

I have the Lindberg kit but haven't built it and have never noticed the problems you mentioned (but now I will). Shortly after it came out, I ran across a nice and CHEAP diecast that filled that slot on my shelf with only a couple hours of detail work.

66ChevelleAfter.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Some of the kits Lindberg created in the '90s ('66 Chevelle, '67 442, '53 Ford etc) had me hoping that the company was getting more serious about its 1/25 models. From what I've seen, the '53 Ford may have been the best kit they ever engineered. Seems to me they more or less stopped trying after that. Anybody know why?

Does anyone here know the condition of the tool they intend to use? From my understanding, this was the first kit R2 released after they bought Lindberg; and now it's been discontinued. Why would they bother to discontinue a kit if they intended to simply re-release a kit based on the old tool?

I bought and built this kit back in the day. I didn't care for it then and surely don't now.

For those reasons, I decided to convert the Revell '67 into a '66 using the clip from an El Camino and the tail light panel/rear bumper from a Monogram kit.

I'm sorry - are you talking about the Lindberg Chevelle or a Revell version?