Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Lindberg '66 Chevelle Super Sport

Casey

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

You talked me into it, you silver-tongued devil. :lol: Although I have two unbuilt copies of this kit, you can put me down for at least one more. B)

Ditto that Buddy....one day I just might build one.  I keep putting it off until my skills improve but I should just do it because I believe I've reached my peak as far as skills go🙄

This was my real one bought new in '66 after putting the chrome reverse wheels on it

78121.jpeg.67f24dfd516aef20f487f7789f924d12.jpeg

Old poloroid pic.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Cool pic! Those chrome reverse look sharp on there. Are those red line tires?

Yep the original Uniroyal redlines.  After a while, I put 5-spoke American Racing mags with black centers on the front and wider tires on the chrome wheels on the rear. Also as a lot of guys did back then air shocks on the rear to raise it up some.

17 hours ago, ozmodeler said:

Very sharp. Is that a Schneider cams decal on the rear window ?

Thanks....and yes its the Schnieder cam decal. Just the decal not the cam.  I later on put headers on it and larger Holly Carb.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2022 at 10:52 AM, espo said:

Another posable source for a '66 Chevelle front end would be the Revell El Camino kit. That kit has the base non-SS grill and flat hood. 

That's the frontend I used on my model. The only problem with it is it has a bug eyed appearance. The headlight rings extend past the trim when they should be recessed. The grille should also be recessed.

20 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

That's the frontend I used on my model. The only problem with it is it has a bug eyed appearance. The headlight rings extend past the trim when they should be recessed. The grille should also be recessed.

I actually found the grill and headlight area correct to my eye. I have owned a '66 as well as a '67 El Camino in the past. The '66 grill design has the top chrome trim extends runs across the top of the grill and the leading edge of the hood and extends down and back on the front fenders. This may give the impression that the headlight trim extends to far out, but that really isn't the case. I just relooked at a '66 El Camino kit I built when they were first released just to see for myself and it appears just as I remember on the one I owned.  

1 hour ago, espo said:

I actually found the grill and headlight area correct to my eye. I have owned a '66 as well as a '67 El Camino in the past. The '66 grill design has the top chrome trim extends runs across the top of the grill and the leading edge of the hood and extends down and back on the front fenders. This may give the impression that the headlight trim extends to far out, but that really isn't the case. I just relooked at a '66 El Camino kit I built when they were first released just to see for myself and it appears just as I remember on the one I owned.  

I'll have to disagree on the wagon grille David. Here's a closeup photo of the grille on my '66.

20200705_155624-1-1.jpg.e5e79d15e32d76b942b4334e9d9ef40d.jpg

Note how the top of the headlight rings are past the wraparound trim. Here's another closeup.

20200705_155657-1-1.jpg.671690246ae168c369c9bf5b3441e541.jpg 

Here's a couple of photos of the real car.

a66561e5-d2cf-4bd2-97c4-2e2e234ee3c6_largesize.jpg.79004255a74b15cca150b2a3a14ee11e.jpg

1966-chevrolet-chevelle-malibu.thumb.jpeg.6cbe1acd16fe4d0bfed50d302a068f2a.jpeg

Notice how the top of the headlight rings are obscured by the wraparound trim on both.

Edited by Plowboy

1 minute ago, Plowboy said:

I'll have to disagree on the wagon grille David. Here's a closeup photo of the grille on my '66.

Note how the top of the headlight rings are past the wraparound trim. Here's another closeup.

a66561e5-d2cf-4bd2-97c4-2e2e234ee3c6_largesize.jpg.79004255a74b15cca150b2a3a14ee11e.jpg

You may be correct. After looking at your pictures you can plainly see the difference. I guess it must have been the passage of time that made me think that it was correct. 

2 hours ago, espo said:

You may be correct. After looking at your pictures you can plainly see the difference. I guess it must have been the passage of time that made me think that it was correct. 

I didn't notice the issue until after I had built the model and took the photos. I kept looking at it and it just looked off. At first, I thought the headlights were oversized. But, it was the headlight rings.

Something I just noticed in the photos of the two full scale cars is the Turquoise Malibu's splash guard under the grille isn't visible and the bumper is tucked up right underneath the grille. Almost exactly like my model. The splash guard on the yellow Malibu is clearly visible. 

10 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Notice how the top of the headlight rings are obscured by the wraparound trim on both.

Two ways to possibly fix it, drill out the headlight buckets and file down the front edge of the ring. Or build up the chrome unibrow trim to make it more proud over the lights. 

Or number three, just live with it. It looks miles better than the Monogram street machine grille does.

BTW - how many rivets does it have anyway?

9 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Something I just noticed in the photos of the two full scale cars is the Turquoise Malibu's splash guard under the grille isn't visible and the bumper is tucked up right underneath the grille. Almost exactly like my model. The splash guard on the yellow Malibu is clearly visible. 

Looks like the guy that restored the turquoise car was trying a little too hard for a "precision" fit. That close tuck doesn't give you any leeway in even a light impact. The yellow looks spot on to me.

9 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Two ways to possibly fix it, drill out the headlight buckets and file down the front edge of the ring. Or build up the chrome unibrow trim to make it more proud over the lights. 

Or number three, just live with it. It looks miles better than the Monogram street machine grille does.

BTW - how many rivets does it have anyway?

There's an easier way. Use the grille from the Lindberg kit. If it would fit. I'm going to live with it. 

I give the Monogram Chevelle's grille a pass since in no way does it even remotely attempt to represent a stock Chevelle. How many stock '66 Chevelle's have a fiberglass flip front end? 

7 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Looks like the guy that restored the turquoise car was trying a little too hard for a "precision" fit. That close tuck doesn't give you any leeway in even a light impact. The yellow looks spot on to 

Agree with you Rusty. That's how it should look.