Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Trabant 601s Universal

GeeBee

Great looking work Geoff. Just curious, what type of glue do you use to attach your parts to the 'stir sticks/wooden sticks for painting? 

i put a small blob of super glue on a small piece of cardboard and then dip the end of the cocktail stick in the glue and then touch it to the part to be mounted, I usually mount the stick where it either won't be seen once the part is mounted or it there is a pin or tab where it's going to be mounted, I'll put the stick there, the joint isn't that strong, but strong enough for the part not to come off when I'm airbrushing, but not so strong so the part is easy to snap off without damaging the part.

Edited by GeeBee

A little black wash on the cylinder heads before the engine was fitted, not that you see the cylinder heads once the engine is fitted

Black%20wash%20on%20engine_zpswnzycbvq.j

Engine was fitted into the chassis, like the 601S saloon I built earlier this year, I cheated and fitted the inner wings to the bulkhead and fitted as one unit, it just makes for a cleaner job once the painting is done, the instructions call for the bulkhead to be fitted first, then the engine goes in followed by the inner wings

2015-07-22%2016.02.12_zpsxcqfynso.jpg

engine_bay_top-vi.jpgH

Here's a reference photo I used when wiring up my Trabant

IMG_1665-vi.jpg

And here's my engine bay so far.  You did a great job and picked out a few things I hadn't.  Note that the X on the left inner fender well is supposed to be wiring, so I hit mine with black paint. Also, I saw small wires running from front to back on either inner fender, I believe those are for headlights, etc. so I added those as well.

I'll eventually get him to make a Rod, probably a T bucket.....

Now you know I want to make one of those, after seeing one at the Ace Cafe, down in London, metallic blue with all the metal done in gold ....

• 2 weeks later...

Got the seats masked up and painted the seat faces in a darker brown, Tamiya X9, gloss brown mixed with Tamiya flat base, it's slightly darker than the photo's show, for some reason the camera on my smartphone really doesn't like photographing anything brown.

After I have put a dark brown wash in the lines to bring out the detail in the front seat faces, they will get a coat of satin varnish.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well a few health and family problem have kept me away from the hobby room, anyway I managed to get in there this afternoon and dig out the body from the plastic container it's been sitting in since it was re-painted, a few dust nibs had to be wet sanded out, then polished using a few different compounds, and third time lucky, the paintwork has turned out just fine ....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...