Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Chevelle kit - Revell vs. AMT

I've built the (now) Revell (ex-Monogram) 1/24, have several copies of the AMT 1/25 in the pile, and have the newer Revell 1/25 snapper on the bench as we speak. The Revell snapper has the most accurately shaped body of the three, except for the hood CI bulge, which is a little undersized. It's definitely my favorite of the three, but then I'm fine with "cubside" (no engine) style.

I like the way the finished headlights look much better on the Revellogram kit than the AMT version. The Revell body is reasonably well proportioned, but it has mold parting lines on the sides that can be a lot of work to get gone without wrecking the character lines that are supposed to be there. I'm not wild about the big-block engine in the Revell version either. It has some really wonky angles on the heads where the headers go, and a couple other things I've forgotten. The chrome valve covers are very nice, however.

This is my build of the Revellogram kit, with a 3" top chop.

DSCN5575.jpg

The AMT kit looks to me (though I don't have one on the shelf at the moment) to have some oddly exaggerated not-correct sculpting on the body sides, judging from pix of built kits. Here's more shots of this champagne metallic one built by Túlio Lazzaroni (below) on this forum. http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/?showtopic=84581

12090682923_3d5f0f6068_c.jpg

This is the real car. Notice the very subtle sculpting of the fender bulges, which is not like the AMT kit pictured above.

6363.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Bill those both look great! Really nice builds.

I do see what you mean about the body sculpting. Kinda funky looking. And I noticed the headlights looked better on the box art of the Revell kit. But you know how box art can be sometimes.

So far I'm leaning towards another Revell kit. Always had fun with that one.

I probably should have started this thread in the "Reviews" section. My bad. Mods, feel free to move it if you want.

• 3 months later...

Hi all! I recently ordered the revel 1970 chevelle heavy Chevy. Was just wondering if anyone out there put it together, and if so how it went for them? Anything to watch out for? I noticed there are a lot of sweet parts! Thanks for your time guys any input and thoughts welcome!

I built one and don't recall any particular assembly problems. The stripe decal didn't fit too well around the CI flap door but I touched it up with paint.

Not the most accurate kit in the world but a fun and troublefree build.

I have the snapper painted and rubbed out..I think I got the wheels and interior done before I went on my latest hiatus. Basically I just need to decal and detail the body and nail it together. But I'm pretty much liking the way it's looking.

Ah there is already a thread for this. Oops!

A bit rude of them to market it as 1/25th! I have one of the heavy chevy kits and I remember sitting it side by side with AMT's 70 Chevelle and it was markedly larger.

• 4 weeks later...

Thinking about building another one of these. I've built the Revell kit (twice actually) over the years. The last time I built it was about 15 years ago, and looking at the finished product, I can do much better work now.

So, how does the AMT kit compare to the Revell kit?

I stumbled upon a YouTube video review/comparison of AMT v.s. Revell Snap-Tite '70 Chevelle SS 454 kits.

https://youtu.be/mwqSnEiTRA8

Hope this helps.

Also, I have the AMT Jack Reacher '70 Chevelle kit.

Even though I`m partial to Revell kits I have to admit the AMT kit has a great set of pad printed white lettered Goodyear GT Polyglass GT L60 x 15 tires.

Edited by 69NovaYenko