Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mine certainly won't be illuminated, as the lights would shine right into the face of anyone viewing it. The way I've designed the layout, all should be visible from the front. The bay behind will be sealed off by blast doors in front, so the display will only be visible from the front side, basically.

I have never seen an intact blast door up close. Did they extend all the way to the bottom of the bunker floor, or just afew feet under the water surface? The only blast doors i saw during my tours over there were removed and i the process of being cut up.

Hard to say. As blast doors, any sections very deep under the surface, really serve no function.

That was my first thought too. Then I thought about torpedoes. If one could get under that blast door, it would certainly hit something. And with that much blast force contained inside the bunker. Better minds than mine have probably pondered that idea too. Maybe the harbor basin itself wasn't large enough to allow for a torpedo run? I seem to remember that departing and returning boats had to have harbor craft help "turn" the boats to exit or enter the bunkers . It may be nothing, but it could explain why they never attempted a torpedo attack.

Edited by bismarck

Right, between torpedo netting and difficult access to the harbor/base itself, attacking by ship or submarine would have been almost impossible. As I understand it, the blast doors were usually only closed during air raids, so having the door closed on the adjacent bay may not be technically correct, but certainly saves me the trouble of having to detail that bay.

Amen!! Are you going to get the new Revell AG 1/144 Flower class corvette when it released? Supposed to be next month, but we know that song by now...:rolleyes: I may get one just for detail comparisons.

Probably not. I'm not all that big on the Corvettes. What I would like to eventually get though, is the Italeri 1:35 S-100 Schnellboot. Now that would make my day.

I would love to get my hands on that kit, but with so many kits in my stash already, i'd have to get rid of some of them to make room. You still looking for that Tamiya 1/35 ww1 British mk2 tank kit?:D

Oh yea, I'll get one eventually, no big rush there. My interest in WWI stuff comes and goes. I did find another WNW Fokker D.VII (Alb.) though, and at a very decent price.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, G. It should be a snap to finish, though somewhat time consuming. Most of the smaller items for the bunker (lights, junction boxes, access ramps, etc.), will be scratched up, then multiple copies cast, saving me gobs of time. One of my biggest problems to overcome, will be to recreate the effect of the wooden forms markings in the concrete finish, but I think I have a handle on that; we'll see, I guess.