Model Cars Magazine Forum

These are but three of many (approximately twenty) 1:48 scale fighters I'm slamming together to hang from the ceiling. Nothing fancy, no detailing, no AM, just decent paint and interesting (to me) markings from different WWII theaters. I like the idea of a bunch of WWII fighters hanging up, doing battle; a throwback from my childhood no doubt.

020212002_zps75209016.jpg

012612002_zps9cce8b95.jpg

010712012_zps4940f760.jpg

Say Kevin...............that's a pretty cool mild mottle pattern you got there on that 190. Did I mention that I was a HUGE Fw190 fan?

Thanks. That's what the illustrations showed, soft mottle on the tail, and very little on the fuselage, so that's what I did as well. Who knows if the original illustration was accurate or not though,. but for a ceiling queen, it doesn't really matter to me, as long as I feel I captured the "essence".

Really cool. Love WWII warbirds.

Me too, been building them for eons. I'm currently also working on a 1:32 Dragon kit of the Bf 110C, in Wespengeschwader markings from the Russian front. Assuming it's finished in time (and it should be), it's destined for the IPMS nationals in Columbus this year.

They look nice Kevin!...and I am not even a military kind of kit guy. Nothing wrong with getting to relive some of the childhood days or memories of...there priceless.

I seem to spend a fair amount of time longing for those days. I know it's pointless really, but my youth was a time of magic for me, and I'm so happy to have had that sort of happy existence.

I'm currently also working on a 1:32 Dragon kit of the Bf 110C, in Wespengeschwader markings from the Russian front. Assuming it's finished in time (and it should be), it's destined for the IPMS nationals in Columbus this year.

That thing should be monster in size!!! Good luck on the entry here and let us know how it turns out.

That thing should be monster in size!!! Good luck on the entry here and let us know how it turns out.

Roughly a 20" wing span. The winter white and Wespen markings should really be cool. Here's a pic of the real deal. (Photo snatched from the WWW, I don't recall where.)

TheSchemeA_zpsa3174cb4.jpg

Beeeeeaauuutiful bird!!! Need reference pics? I have the Aero Detail #21 book on this puppy.

I think the Aero Detail book deals primarily with the G, but I have tons of reference, including the Schiffer Wespengeschwader book, and the outstanding Vasco/Classic Publications book, to name but a few. (I have a "thing" for books, so I'm well covered in that department, but thanks for the offer anyway.)

Classic_zps95d945a3.jpg

Sting_zps9d7d19a6.jpg

• 6 months later...

It turns out that after the move, most of my parts for the already started kits are,... who knows where, so it looks as if I'll have to start fresh, at least until all the missing parts can be located, assuming they're ever located. To that end, I'll be starting this ICM Mustang, as at least it is 100% complete; still in sealed bags in fact. I haven't yet chosen a scheme, so I'll begin searching for that right now. The ICM kit appears to be quite nice, and I believe can be built either as a B or C model.

51b%20001_zpssa3aguoo.jpg

(Oddly enough, kit gives two different markings, but there's only an illustration of one of the two for decal placement. It also seems that a C model, cannot be built from this kit, so it looks like a B it shall be, so to speak.)

Well, here are the prop templates (11'-2" diameter), for the Mustang. I'll also be making a matching mask to spray blades, as I always seem to muck that up when I do it freehand.

P-51B%20Props_zpsnp42vwhe.png

All in all, I'm fairly impressed with the ICM kits; pretty good detailing, fine recessed lines and (where appropriate), rivets. I ran into a very good deal on about twenty of these a few years back, and I've been completely satisfied with every one. Perfect for ceiling queens, that's for sure.

51b%202%20003_zpstunkqxrm.jpg

Edited by Roadrunner

(Oddly enough, kit gives two different markings, but there's only an illustration of one of the two for decal placement. It also seems that a C model, cannot be built from this kit, so it looks like a B it shall be, so to speak.)

Why do you say that? The B and C were identical--just one was built in California and the other in Texas. Only way to tell them apart is by serial number.

Most of the C models, seemed to have the vertical tail fillet, Snake, and none is present in the kit. I'll have to look into it further though, as I had always thought they (the B and C) were the same too.

Well, interior is now painted a funky green. Not ZC, but it's OK, as no one will ever see it anyway. (I love airbrushing!)

51b%203%20001_zpsjqhzblfg.jpg

On this particular kit, fit is not all that great, not at all typical of what I've experienced in the past.

OK, photo has disappeared, and I cannot copy from PB, but it was a shot of fuselage/wings all taped together. I hope you enjoy my description, and I'll continue to elaborate on what my photos look like, since you won't be able to see them.

Edited by Roadrunner

Most of the C models, seemed to have the vertical tail fillet, Snake, and none is present in the kit. I'll have to look into it further though, as I had always thought they (the B and C) were the same too.

AFAIK none of the Bs or Cs were built with that fillet, it was an added-on mod later. And as the early Ds were built without it too, I'm pretty sure it wasn't even available until after the Ds were introduced.

I don't know when the first Ds were actually built, but I DO know that there were a very, VERY few of them in service on D-Day--6 June 44. Ds with fillets don't start showing up until later in the summer. And all of the Bs/Cs I've seen with the fillet have been from late summer or fall of '44 or later.

Like I said, you may be absolutely right, Snake. I had always thought they were the same too, so perhaps I can also look for a C scheme for this, though I did find a B scheme that I'm OK with at the moment.

Edited by Roadrunner

AFAIK none of the Bs or Cs were built with that fillet, it was an added-on mod later. And as the early Ds were built without it too, I'm pretty sure it wasn't even available until after the Ds were introduced.

I don't know when the first Ds were actually built, but I DO know that there were a very, VERY few of them in service on D-Day--6 June 44. Ds with fillets don't start showing up until later in the summer. And all of the Bs/Cs I've seen with the fillet have been from late summer or fall of '44 or later.

It's interesting that you say that about the D, as I could swear that I've seen a bunch with invasion stripes. Something else I'll have to look into eventually I guess, as I have a couple of ICM and Tamiya D's I'd also like to do some day. 

It's interesting that you say that about the D, as I could swear that I've seen a bunch with invasion stripes. Something else I'll have to look into eventually I guess, as I have a couple of ICM and Tamiya D's I'd also like to do some day. 

You've seen a bunch with half stripes. About 6 weeks or so after D-Day, they ordered the stripes on the top halves of the airplanes painted over or removed. New airplanes coming into the system only got the stripes painted on the lower halves to start with. There were some Ds with full stripes in the 4FG, 352FG, 357FG, and 361FG, but not a whole lot. At that point (June-July '44) the 8AF and 9AF were still flying a LOT of B/C Mustangs (which are commonly seen with full stripes), and several groups hadn't even transitioned out of P-38s or P-47s yet.

The P-47D bubbletops were just about the same story. It's fairly rare to see one with full invasion stripes.

Oh yes, I'm reasonably familiar with the D-Day and post D-Day practices regarding invasion stripes. I suppose I just need to consult my Mustang references, as I have plenty (roughly 40 books, covering the A-36 through P-51K), but just haven't felt like dragging them all out, not for one ceiling queen anyway. When I tackle the Tamiya 1:32 D, I'll probably use the references a lot more.

• 1 month later...