Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pocher Alfa Romeo Touring

Twokidsnosleep

Well my E Bay purchase of the 1/8 Pocher Alfa is here and unpacked...such as it is.

It is a nightmare of loose screws (I have a few of those too!), poor modelling and disrespect for a beautiful model. Kind of harsh, but it is pretty sad....and kind of a cool challenge to bring this back to life

So here are the pics

imagejpg1.jpg

comparison to 1/16 MG TC kit

imagejpg5.jpg

Fenders with a paint pot for size

imagejpg4.jpg

imagejpg6.jpg

Body comparisons, lots of black overspray on the Pocher Seats and body

imagejpg7.jpg

Engine and some body parts.

imagejpg3.jpg

Bag of wonders

Ok that is it for now. Dinner time, got to ponder this mess for a bit

First priority is to get a big container for everything and start doing inventory

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

While parts are soaking in stripper and cleaner and repairing broken bits:

A. Go here: http://modelmotorcars.com/ and download the Alfa instructions free. Pay attention to how many screws, bolts and rods you have / need. You can order spares from MMC and other places.

B. Order the Paul Koo CD and study all the sections before construction. They all overlap and intersect, not necessarily in 'order'.

C. Decide how accurate you want it to be; it needs major surgery in several areas to get the shape right and parts just to fit. Or build OOB and have a lot of fit and appearance compromises. Get lots of research material from all the big classic sites to see what they actually look like. Pocher's idea of fender / hood / cowl and seat shapes is largely fantasy. For instance, you can build it with only one spare and no 'batfin' on the rear deck.

D. Consider spending for the MMC upgrades if you want a sturdy, accurate model.

E. Make your own, (not out of cardboard like the MG) or buy the MMC work stands - like mine for the Rolls. Invaluable, like the Koo CD.

Thanks Cato

The inventory so far is three dead silverfish and a dead carpet beetle!

Plus dust, lots of dust.

I have named her Franchesca....Italian version of my wife's name. Beautiful, but temperamental...and so is the car!

Have the instructions and will get the CD. You had me primed for all that stuff already with the website....all over it!

I disassembled the engine last night and gave the major parts an electric tooth brushing in warm soapy water.

The kit seems very logical and I found I could take things apart somewhat easily and I put the screws back into where they go so as not to get lost. The paint and assembly is poor so I will tear her apart.

My plan is to get the engine and tranny made first.....ahem, after I finish the MG

For paint stripping, what product do you recommend I soak her in

Thanks for all your help, it is a big job but kind of stoked for it!

The original Easy Off oven cleaner. The 'no fumes' version is too weak. If you can, put the parts in ziplock bags (1 gallon I guess), spray a lot in and close for at least 6 hours. Use gloves, recheck every hour with toothbrush. Rinse with garden hose or slop sink. Wash with Dawn dish soap and start test fitting. DO NOT prime or shoot color until you've fit and modified parts to final configuration. Example: that hole in running board for oil fill is in the wrong place.

Study about moving engine rearward in chassis - it affects a lot.

Edited by Cato

Looking excellent, though perhaps the exhaust manifold might look a bit more bronzed.

That is Paul Koo's motor advertising the engine kit sold here about halfway down the page

http://www.modelmotorcars.com/alfa-romeo.html

My engine is in 5,000 bits right now!

I have seen a lot of variation on the engine block and valve cover paint...from bare metal to red,black

Not sure what direction I will go, but I always like a contrast in colours.

Looking excellent, though perhaps the exhaust manifold might look a bit more bronzed.

That view is showing the intake side Skip. The carb, supercharger and beautifully cast intake manifold.

As seen, it's $700 from MMC.

That view is showing the intake side Skip. The carb, supercharger and beautifully cast intake manifold.

As seen, it's $700 from MMC.

That is over twice as much as I paid for the whole mess of this kit's parts!!

BUT, mine came with silverfish included

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

That is over twice as much as I paid for the whole mess of this kit's parts!!

BUT, mine came with silverfish included

True enough but you could duplicate it with hardware from Marvin or Scale Hardware for much less. The big expense is the resin castings - beautiful but the kit parts would suffice.

Remember it's a display model in itself. Not meant for installation in a chassis and body where a good deal of detail would be hidden.

Yes have Easy Off...old school smell of death stuff

I have organized many of the metal bits into little clear dental crown boxes with lids...nuts, bolts etc

As I worked though the plastic bag of many wonders, I was finding more dead bugs and then rodent feces (small so likely mice)

Soooo all things metal in there got an IPA wash and then coated with thin layer of WD40

I am going to wash everything else in bleach and discard all shipped containers and original packaging. This kit has sat in the bowels of someone's home and it is kind of disgusting.

I could actually steam autoclave the metal bits, but that would be a little too OCD...which I am not, really just a little CDO which puts it in correct alphabetical order....that is a joke folks, bada bing

Time for a Friday night drink

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

I would not have even considered starting this kit if not for the great advice from Cato

He has provided so much info and resources, I can't thank you enough!

Every turn of research brings more and more info

and I still have to finish the MG TC before I begin the Alfa

All plastic parts are bleached and toothbrush scrubbed

Getting a large tub tomorrow to keep the kit in

Still have to inventory bolts and screws and such, but it actually looks like all major parts are present

Goodnight all

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

CAUTION: WD-40 will cause fisheyes in your paint. Don't even put the parts in the same room with the body parts. Steam the metal bits just to get the WD off. Wipe with lacquer thinner and store away until needed.

For good measure, I'd 'Dawn' the plastic parts. Primer will not adhere if WD present.

Excellent warning, thank you, will keep plastic and oil separate.

All plastic has been washed in dilute bleach, dried and then wiped with isopropyl alcohol (IPA). I try to do this before painting as a loose rule to avoid contamination that you are talking about.

Then I let the parts air dry again and sorted the plastic into large ziplock bags and labeled the bag. If I dissasembled something, like the rear diff or the engine and there were specific hardware parts, I put those into a smaller ziplock (noWD40) and kept it inside the bigger bag.....just keep stuff together better.

Remember I am not building this model yet, I am completely faithful to my MGTC, that I have not touched in a week other than to move it out of the way. Is there such a thing as model kit infidelity??

Off to Home Depot soon to get a plastic bin to store Franchesca in

Model is put to bed in a dog proof container.....Coco my Bernese tested it out

Each Ziplock has different assembly steps gathered together....vs random parts chucked in a box of mouse poo.

Dental boxes of small bits in separate plastic box....no more loose bits

I have not itemize every nut, bolt and screw. The things I notice missing are the Alfa badges and all the decals are toast. There are sources for replacements and I will do that when it is time.

I was impressed with how the assembled parts of this car came apart so well; I broke one plastic bit on the alternator that I will easily replace. Maybe getting an old built Pocher kit, disassembling and getting aftermarket parts is not a bad idea.

I am $350 USD into this kit which seems ok by what I see them going for...lots of potential to customize her up.

So I will tuck this away for now and finish the other kit

Time for research, gather info and think

Cheers, Scott

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

The original Easy Off oven cleaner. The 'no fumes' version is too weak. If you can, put the parts in ziplock bags (1 gallon I guess), spray a lot in and close for at least 6 hours. Use gloves, recheck every hour with toothbrush. Rinse with garden hose or slop sink. Wash with Dawn dish soap and start test fitting. DO NOT prime or shoot color until you've fit and modified parts to final configuration. Example: that hole in running board for oil fill is in the wrong place.

Study about moving engine rearward in chassis - it affects a lot.

I did a test with some new Easy Off pump spray. Other stuff was dead and nasty can that is probably 10 yrs old

This is kind of a gel and worked removing paint reasonably quick (over a couple hours) with no damage to the plastic, easy to control

Once again, my wife thinks I am nuts for buying new easy off when she has a self cleaning oven

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

Two 'new' horses have arrived for my stable from a great modelling guy in Colorado who is thinning his heard a bit for a move.

This second Pocher kit is in much better mint condition with all box flaps and parts properly stowed

And my queue for building gets longer by two!

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

• 4 weeks later...

I was poking through the kit reading the pamphlet on the left and found a spider egg nest stuck to the paper inside.

Yikes! I squished them in a tissue and chucked it away. Think i will set that on fire tonight.

That would have been an awesome colony of foreign spiders trapped in a plastic tub crawling all over this Gran Sport kit

I must have missed it when I was disinfecting everything else.

Edited by Twokidsnosleep