Model Cars Magazine Forum

FXI Trucking Hot Rod Peterbuilt.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

It's been a year and a half since this project got tucked away for school, and new career and a house remodel. It's back on the bench now and here is where I am at.

Today I finished the bracing on the inside of the bed. It's pretty intricate. I still need to add the mounting brackets.

Bedbracingfront-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Bedrear-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I also got a start on the valve cover. I couldn't find any replicas out there. I learned from the crew here on the Truckers page that they are a one year only item. At this point I have no way to make uppercase/lowercase lettering, so I will have to settle for the all uppercase ones that I have. Hopefully, I can produce one and cut a deal with a resin caster to make a set. 

Valvecoverstep1-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

block2-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Thanks for looking.

Time to grade papers.

Scott

Edited by Scott Colmer

• 1 year later...

It been over 2 years?! Wow. Well, I have been working on this. I want to finish it.

Here we have the engine I am replicating. You can just see to T/F blower on top. My biggest problem was the valve covers and heads. I could not fin them in 1:25 scale. I had to make my own, which took a good deal of work. To save time I also decided to try my hand a resin casting. The masters are pretty good. I could not get the upper/lower case lettering in the pic, so I grafted in all upper case from a donor set. The raised letters are a little lighter than I would like, but that is the best I could do. 

Casting was a learning experience. My first resin cast was goopy. I learned I should not have sprayed the silicone mold with silicone spray. They do not like each other. I made a second valve cover mold and things are looking better. 

Here is the 1:1

block2-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Here are the molds with a fresh pour starting to solidify, masters, some castings, some of those chrome plates and breather vents on the right waiting for alclad.

IMG_0473-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Next is getting the blower up to snuff. I shaved the ribs and I am making new ones with the correct count and spacing. The technique is to lightly CA glue a block of sheet and shape the whole thing. Then I use debonder to separate them. It worked 1/2 the time. One side did not debond, so I had to shape them one at a time.

IMG_0469-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Until next time.

• 1 year later...

I found my old thread from 2018 and brought it back in the hopes that I can maintain momentum. I did find a transmission that looks pretty close. It is an Allison from shape ways.

I also crorrected the ribs on the T/F blower Louie is using.

Here is the real thing

engine-vi.jpgHere are the parts.

The blower is on the left. Up next will be the headers.

IMG_2059-vi.jpg

Scott

Edited by Scott Colmer

• 3 months later...

Spring Break is on so I've had time to work on this project.

When a friend pointed out that he could tell I widened the kit tires because of the seam, I went hunting for a better set. The results were a wash. One set was too big and the other was too small. I'll have to work the ones I made a little more.

IMG_2076-vi.jpg

Thanks to the truck builders here who identified the Allison Tranny. I was able to find one at Shapeways. It could use some additional detailing, but I am glad I found it. Here you see it attached to the back of the block with a length of rod running through all the parts. This is the begining of the process of getting the drivetrain securely mounted before building the headers, It turned out to be a pretty big PIA. I pinned as many parts as I could including the heads. 

IMG_2105-vi.jpg

I've been trying the get the cowl the engine height right. The engine seems too high. I raised the body on the mounts by 1/16" and then added that much to the bottom of the body. Then the body was firmly secured in place. Ready the make headers.

IMG_2104-vi.jpg

Here  are the headers. I have printouts Louie gave me of the headers in place on the rolling chassis. I've never seen the finished exhaust system, but I do have a copy of Youngbloods drawing of the car. I had to study the pics to learn that the headers kick out at the back to clear the steering box and line up with the wedge shape of the cap. 

Headers-vi.jpg

First step was to bend the first primary. This is styrene tube with an aluminum tube insert and some silver wire in that. If I had the right size solder I would have used that. Anyway, the filler keeps the styrene tube from collapsing and keeps the bend in place. After the first one was bent, I made a simple bend checker from silly putty. 

Headerparts1-vi.jpg

On the receiving end we have the side pipe glued to the body in the correct position. Once the headers are done, I'll use debonder to detach the temporary supports, cleaned things up then make proper mounts once I learn what the final exhaust system is like. 

IMG_2140-vi.jpg

And they are done. The front primary got a tweak after this pic. The drivers side is not as good. It will require some clean up. Now, on to the interior while I wait for Louie to tell me how he mounted the grill shell and ran the balance of the exhaust system. 

IMG_2141-vi.jpg

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Made some progress on the interior. I made the dash by specs taken from a picture. When I put it in place it hung down so low that there was little room for pedals and feet. I took some height out of it but it was still too low. I finally undid about 1/8" of the channel on the body and that did the trick. It looks closer to the photos that way. I'm not sure why I channeled it so much to begin with.

The dash is held in place with plastic pins that go through a support bracket glued to the body. I also made filler floor sills near the doors. Finally,  I repaired the roll cage because our new dog who is only a foot tall at best somehow got on the bench and knocked the model down and broke it. That is the second model that fell to a dog. Never had one destroyed by a cat. The center windshield post finally broke off. 

IMG_2151-vi.jpg

The real thing

itdashandsteeringgearmounts003-vi.jpg

Next is Interior panels and controls. I need more input from Louie. I also need too raise the front of the roll cage. 

Edited by Scott Colmer

2 hours ago, tbill said:

Good to see some progress on this project, things are looking good!

Thanks Tom. It's good to going on this one. I just talked to Louie and got a lot of information to keep me moving forward. He said the real one is still being worked on.

Scott

• 1 month later...

I'm still fooling around with the exhaust. I finally got the block securely mounted. That put the headers on the driver's side a bit too far from the body. I might have to shorted the headers to move it in. I got the exit done for the side pipes. My first attempt a bending the large tube with heat. I lucked out and got two good ones in two tries.  

The exhaust to the rear is mocked up the way Louie described it. It is very simple and runs under the axle. I sent him a pic for approval. 

I picked up some wing shaped bars to build the radiator grill and some PE radiator mesh. So the radiator will be next. 

I also picked up some tiny springs. I'm going to try making operating door latches.

IMG_2186-vi.jpg

IMG_2188-vi.jpg

Sensational scratch building project Scott, everything you've done so far is top notch!

This is what motivates me and my main interest in this hobby, so I particularly enjoy what you are doing on this build!

For what I understand, you mentioned at the beginning of the thread that you make it as a request from your friend Louie so will you really give it away at the end or i'ts a personal tribute to his 1:1 truck?  I am just curious to know!

Thanks for the kudos, Francis!

Louie is my client on this one. My job is to replicate his real truck. As you can see from the longevity of this thread he is very patient but the 1:1 is still unfinished too. In fact, I just caught up with him on his progress except for Louie has a lot of his paint done. The difference is that I want to get all the scratch building done before I start any paint. I hope to have the model finished before the 1:1 is.

Scott

38 minutes ago, Scott Colmer said:

Thanks for the kudos, Francis!

Louie is my client on this one. My job is to replicate his real truck. As you can see from the longevity of this thread he is very patient but the 1:1 is still unfinished too. In fact, I just caught up with him on his progress except for Louie has a lot of his paint done. The difference is that I want to get all the scratch building done before I start any paint. I hope to have the model finished before the 1:1 is.

Scott

I'm speachless Scott!  With all the passion, dedication and attention to details you have already put (and continuing to) I can't believe that you will not have a pinch in the heart when this beauty will leave your hands!  I raise my hat to you!!!

Thanks again for the enthusiasm, Francis. Honestly, I will be glad to pass this to Louie when it's done. He is pretty enthusiastic about the project and he is a really fun guy to work with. I will also be glad to get this off my bench so I can complete a bunch of unfinished projects.

Working on the small details that need to get done before I finalize the underbody exhaust system. First we have the mounts for the master cylinder and brake pedal. That the rod and bracket with attached to the inner frame rail. The exhaust had to clear those so they needed to be in place.

Next, we have a mounting system for the side pipes. That has not been created yet on the 1:1 so I used my own design that incorporates a chassis to body mount on the 1:1 truck and then a smilier style mount for the rear of the pipe. This design allows me to slide the assembly out and in while creating the inner exhaust. It is very stable to I don't have to worry about fit issues after painting. 

IMG_2204-vi.jpg

IMG_2205-vi.jpg

Edited by Scott Colmer

• 3 weeks later...