[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Announcements

• Dave Ambrose

Board Status   07/20/2018

Maintenance completed, but there is still more come.
Scott Colmer

FXI Trucking Hot Rod Peterbuilt.

Good gravy, Man....This is awesome....From beginning up to this point, there has been some phoenominal work done....Awesome....

Edited by kilrathy10

It's been a year and a half since this project got tucked away for school, and new career and a house remodel. It's back on the bench now and here is where I am at.

Today I finished the bracing on the inside of the bed. It's pretty intricate. I still need to add the mounting brackets.

Bedbracingfront-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Bedrear-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I also got a start on the valve cover. I couldn't find any replicas out there. I learned from the crew here on the Truckers page that they are a one year only item. At this point I have no way to make uppercase/lowercase lettering, so I will have to settle for the all uppercase ones that I have. Hopefully, I can produce one and cut a deal with a resin caster to make a set. 

Valvecoverstep1-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

block2-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Thanks for looking.

Time to grade papers.

Scott

Edited by Scott Colmer

Well its been awhile, but you've made some nice progress !

Be Well

Gator

It been over 2 years?! Wow. Well, I have been working on this. I want to finish it.

Here we have the engine I am replicating. You can just see to T/F blower on top. My biggest problem was the valve covers and heads. I could not fin them in 1:25 scale. I had to make my own, which took a good deal of work. To save time I also decided to try my hand a resin casting. The masters are pretty good. I could not get the upper/lower case lettering in the pic, so I grafted in all upper case from a donor set. The raised letters are a little lighter than I would like, but that is the best I could do. 

Casting was a learning experience. My first resin cast was goopy. I learned I should not have sprayed the silicone mold with silicone spray. They do not like each other. I made a second valve cover mold and things are looking better. 

Here is the 1:1

block2-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Here are the molds with a fresh pour starting to solidify, masters, some castings, some of those chrome plates and breather vents on the right waiting for alclad.

IMG_0473-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Next is getting the blower up to snuff. I shaved the ribs and I am making new ones with the correct count and spacing. The technique is to lightly CA glue a block of sheet and shape the whole thing. Then I use debonder to separate them. It worked 1/2 the time. One side did not debond, so I had to shape them one at a time.

IMG_0469-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Until next time.

Nice work on those castings !

Be Well

Gator