Model Cars Magazine Forum
Scott Colmer

FXI Trucking Hot Rod Peterbuilt.

Progress is slow. I'm back teaching and the garage is HOT.

I finally got both sides of the under chassis exhaust done. I used Plastic tube because it is more flexible. I put solid core solder inside to hold the bends. The bends were made over an exact handle so the radius would be consistent. I pinned the bend pieces and straights so they could slip fit together and be adjustable as I worked out the pattern. There are no mufflers because that's the way Louie wants it. I am now building what has not been done on the real truck.

Next is mounting the bed so I can finalize the placement of the exhaust system.

IMG_2340-vi.jpg 

Glad to see you back at work on the Peterbilt Scott!  This is a super cool project and I can't wait to see your next updates.  Keep doing your great work!!!

Francis, thanks for the encouragement. I'm still plugging away.

It was time to finalize the exhaust with hangers.

First, I had to pin the bed, which I should have done a long time ago. The location points match where Louie put them. Look at the far front and back. The rear is is a slip fit and the front is a pinned bracket.

IMG_2583-vi.jpg

With the bed secured, I could place the twin rear tips. But first I had to make the exhaust hangers. I had some experience with this from working in my Pop's muffler shop as a summer job. The frame mounts a pretty sturdy because I felt that the under chassis system would be pretty heavy. The frame mounts are pinned so they can be removed and painted separately. The thick disc between the frame mount and pipe bracket will be the rubber biscuit that will flex and absorb vibration. You can also see the flex/expansion pipe sections that Louie put in the design. I made those be wrapping wire around exhaust size styrene and then cutting and gluing each ring free and flattened it so it would be straight and not look like a coil. 

IMG_2581-vi.jpg

Finally, it was time to add the dual pipe tips out the back. I had a great idea to line the up with the 59 caddy taillights Louie had installed.

IMG_2584-vi.jpg

Then while I was falling asleep one night and building the truck in my head, it occurred to me that the heat from the unmuffled exhaust would possibly melt the caddy taillights. CARP! I decided to let it go.

IMG_2585-vi.jpg

Then when I was checking my work, I realized that the bed had slipped and the tips were hitting bottom of the bed. I had good reason to cut the tips free and move them towards the center of the tailgate. Yes, the exhaust runs under the rear axle as per Louie's directions.

And there I am. All I have left are the flanges between the headers and the electronic cut outs.

I'm on to the area bar grill. While the bars are drying, I'll be sand the under exhaust smooth.

Scott

Edited by Scott Colmer

Hey Scott, I'm so happy to see you back on this project, I really love this build!  The exhaust hangers look great and I also like the flex/expansion pipes, clever and very convincing! 👌

Thanks for the comments Bob and Francis. This project has been a bit of s slog for me. Your encouragement helps a lot. 

Time for the grill. Louie wants 14 wing-shapped bars. That put me on a quest to find wing-shapped rod. It's just not out there, easy to find. I found out a company in England used to make it, but that was 10 years ago. When, and if, it shows up on eBay, there is usually a bidding war. So I checked with the MCM forum community and Gerry (Exotic Builder) had some he was willing to part with. Many thanks to Gerry. Great guy.

I made the grill shell a while ago based on on the was laying the the cab of the truck last time I saw it. 

DSCN2929-vi.jpg

I found some styrene strip the was the same thickness at the wing-shaped rod. That will help wit the spacing requirements Louie called out. The it was a matter of cutting a bunch of little spacers to glue in-between each grill bar. A perfect job for my Micro Mark chop cutter.

IMG_2586-vi.jpg

Then it was a matter of starting at the top of the inside shell and working my way down. The bars are not held in place by glue; they are trapped by the short square pegs of styrene.

IMG_2587-vi.jpg

All the bars are in place.

IMG_2589-vi.jpg

The bars were held together with a strip of right angle styrene glued down each side. Now it can be removed and chromed with Alcad. It presses very snugly back into the shell.

IMG_2590-vi.jpg

And there it is on the truck.

IMG_2592-vi.jpg

Radiator is next. I have some PE radiator mesh to add the right look.

Scott

Great job on the grill Scott, it seem to be a very good match with the one of your friend Louie!   Slow progress but you're heading in the right direction, you can't go faster than 1: 1 build anyway, right?   Maybe yes in fact...!

Thanks for the comments, Jeff and Francis! I've following your Pro-street P/U, Francis. Amazing.

Louie gave the grill the mark of approval, but said it looked a bit thick. I'll flat-sand the face of it and the inside edges later.  I made some bits and pieces progress.

Here is the radiator. It's a heavily modified kit peice based on custom truck radiators found on line. The PE radiator pattern looks best over a solid color. So the background will get some flat black later.

IMG_2594-vi.jpg

This is the in-progress battery tray that Louie made. Louie told me it would mount in the rear. If he does not come up with a place, I'm going to hang it from the rear crossmember along with a small tank for the airbags. It would have been A LOT easier if he did not drill all those holes in it. The plastic is thin sheet. Harder to work with, but now that I know Louie is watching that, I'll do my best to stay in scale.

IMG_2595-vi.jpg

Finally, the Exide Red Top battery in progress. I chose this one because the internet said they can be used for Diesel engines. I'm using an internet pic as a construction guide.

IMG_2596-vi.jpg

Next is to repair the fuel cell try that my doggy chewed off then make a fuel cell. After that, the bed work is done and its on to the interior.

The last phase will be finalizing the engine. I have very little idea how the pieces should go together.

Thanks for looking.

Scott

Quick update. 

The optima red top battery is done. The Battery tray is done. I only had one pick of it and no measurements, so I eyeballed it. 

The air tank is done. The mounting bracket is in the works. Both the battery and the air tank are going to hang off the back of the rear frame crossmember. 

IMG_2598-vi.jpg

IMG_2599-vi.jpg

DSCN2080-vi.jpg

IMG_2601-vi.jpg

Guess I'm on a roll. 

Here is the battery and air tank taped in place. 

IMG_2602-vi.jpg

And here is the scratch-builtfuel cell in place. It's pretty large because Louie talked about running the truck up Pikes Peak. Fixing the dog chew was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

IMG_2603-vi.jpg

That pretty much completes the bed. The firewall is next. 

I will send these pics off to Louie to see if has any changes. 

Great job Scott, all the last parts you did are very well made, I especially like the Optima battery.

Hope Louie enjoys (but I'm sure he does) having a good personal builder like you to create a true rendition of his real truck! 👍

Hey JT and Francis, thanks for the interest and encouragement!

Just a few littles this post.

First is creating the snout on the end of the third member. I could not find a pic other than the one I had. I couple of modelers tried to help, but nothing there. I did appreciate the help!

So I just made it symmetrical and went with it.

1to13rdmember-vi.jpg

IMG_2622-vi.jpg

Next is the trans crossmember. I never saw the one for the 1:1 truck, so I made a simple one trying to fabricate in a style consistent with Louie's. It's held in place with pins.

IMG_2624-vi.jpg

Now a fix. When I made the main part of the firewall, I found that the the driver's side of the body leans in just a bit at the top. That was a by product of cutting the body apart and widening it to make it to scale of the 1:1. If you look, you can see the front door frame leaning lower than the back.

IMG_2609-vi.jpg

The fix required slicing the body along the towel and carefully bending the body back into alignment. I filled the gap with chunks of plastic which I later ground down smooth. I was bummed to see it was wrong, in the first place, but I was glad I caught it before I got to paint and the doors would not close evenly. 

IMG_2614-vi.jpg

Very impressed with your perseverance.  Now I need to get another tool.  🤔

So enjoyable watching your craftsmanship making every detail scaled down like Louis build ! Like  trying to look into the mind of an artist and then reverse engineer it 

Kepe up the great work

Nice fabrication Scott, the snout of the differential looks great.  I also love to use brass or aluminum pins when joining scratch built parts, it helps strengthen the structure and the end result is cleaner using less glue.  Keep doing your good work!