Model Cars Magazine Forum

FXI Trucking Hot Rod Peterbuilt.

A couple of smalls tonight. 

First, the seat mounts. Nothing special. Just trying to add interest.

IMG_2764-vi.jpg

Next is the prototype of a latch mechanism. This, I'm pretty proud of this design because it took a good amount of thinking. This prototype tells me what I need to do to have a smooth working final product. 

IMG_2765-vi.jpg

After I finalize the latch system, the next thing is to finish the gas pedal and shifter. 

Edited by Scott Colmer

I finished up the gas pedal. The first one disappeared off my bench. I found a larger one with the correct tread pattern, shaped it, and added the rest of the hardware. 

IMG_2771-vi.jpgNow it's time to send some

Below are interior design proposals for Louie.

The first two are Louie's door designs.

IMG_2774-vi.jpg

IMG_2773-vi.jpg

The drawings below  are my proposals. I wanted to tie the carbon fiber dash (wrapped) in with the doors and back wall of the cab. I tried to blend Louie's design with the carbon fiber feature. I also drew the black seats with red piping and a center console as verbally described by Louie.

IMG_2775-vi.jpg

If I can wrap the interior up in the next couple weeks, all that is left is the engine. Then it's finishing time. Prime, fill, sand, repeat. 

Thanks for looking.

11 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

If I can wrap the interior up in the next couple weeks, all that is left is the engine. Then it's finishing time. Prime, fill, sand, repeat. 

You started this project over 6 years ago according to the thread's information, so I imagine you must be feeling a mixture of sadness and joy to see the end of this grand project approaching!?  High caliber work by the way!!! 👍

Francis and Brian, thanks for the kind word. I really appreciate them. Francis, I will be very glad to see this one done. I doubt I will miss it, even when it goes to Louie. I have about a half dozen of my own projects I really want to work on.

On to tonight's update...

Here is Louie's dash with the gauges in place. Sorry for the poor quality pic

IMG_2787-vi.jpg

Here are the bezels I made. The large ones are aluminum tubing because there was no styrene the right diameter. (They were eyeballed) I'll hit the large bezels with a couple coats of primer to thicken them up before final paint. The gauges will be decals with a bit of clear glue for lenses.

IMG_2781-vi.jpg

This is the Quarter Stick shifter Louie showed me long ago. 

IMG_2785-vi.jpg

And here is the replica. There is a B&M style one in the Matt and Debbie Hays Thunderbird kit, but it looked a bit small and has a nice sinkhole right in the side. I decided to make my own. The handle might be a but oversized. I'll study it and shrink it down from the top if need be, I also have a couple pull pins made that hold the case on. You can see one peeking out from the bottom in the pic of the real one. I found those when I googled the shifter for more detail. It would be nice to get a decal of the lettering on the sides.

https://public.fotki.com/Scottcolmer/loiues-truck/louis-truck/img-2786.html

Louie approved the interior design, so I have no more hurdles to finishing the interior. Yessss!

Thanks for looking,

Scott

Edited by Scott Colmer

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Francis. You are right..I'm going to carbon fiber the dash to match. I also carried the carbon fiber into the door for a bit of continuity.  Louie says he plans to finish the truck. It would be a thrill to see.

Here is the latest update. The first door latch is installed and the door panel has been made. The latch worked great. The door snapped shut and held into place. It released with the lever.

Louie asked to drop the logo from the center panel of the door so I added a recess that can be used to pull the door shut from the inside and it breaks up the flatness a bit. You can see the red piping test. It should work. The material is thin styrene colored with a sharpie. I'll probably give it a coat of semigloss clear. 

IMG_2797-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words,  Steve. I really like your Wagon project.

I'm glad you like the detail, Francis. I'm checking in on your truck daily. It's art.

John! Glad to see you here! Yep, once this one is done it's time to go after those stalled projects. 

I've been working a lot, but it took a while to get something to show. 

Here is the console. It is modified from the original sketch because if felt it looked odd dropping down the floor in the middle of the cab,  so I extend it to the dash. 

Some items of note: The console is exactly as wide as a single upholstery pleat, and it is lined up with the center pleat in the back upholstery panel. I also added a stash box that is hinged with a piano hinge to match the door hinges. The outside will be trimmed to match the seats. The flat center area will have a carbon fiber inlay to match the dash. You can also see where the shifter will be located.

IMG_2806-vi.jpg

IMG_2807-vi.jpg

IMG_2809-vi.jpg

IMG_2808-vi.jpg

The driver's side door latch is finished. I still have to finish up the rest of the interior panels, make the final placement of the steering column and then its time for the final mock up of the interior.

Edited by Scott Colmer

• 1 month later...

photo test. Just trying to get all the interior parts to fit together.

[URL=https://public.fotki.com/Scottcolmer/loiues-truck/louis-truck/img-2811.html][IMG]https://images34.fotki.com/v1212/photos/4/545594/10997211/IMG_2811-vi.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

19 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

photo test. Just trying to get all the interior parts to fit together.

[URL=https://public.fotki.com/Scottcolmer/loiues-truck/louis-truck/img-2811.html][IMG]https://images34.fotki.com/v1212/photos/4/545594/10997211/IMG_2811-vi.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

The pictures do not appear Scott, there is just a URL link.

• 1 year later...

I am finally back on Loiue's Truck. Time to get the engine done. I think I mentioned that I know very little about the Detroit Diesel engine. I'm going to need some help figuring out the accessories.

Is the grey item on the back of the engine a power steering pump? And where does the fluid container go?  Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Scott

Backofengine-vi.jpg

Thanks for joining in, Gary. I plan to get this one DONE as by March.

On with the engine. I ended up studying my photos a lot as well as looking at scale buildups on eBay. I even used the diesel engine reference here on the forum to locate a set of directions to help me sort this beast out. I figured that I would start at the back, go to the top, and then hit the front. 

If anyone sees anything I missed or just did not get right, please jump in.

Starting with the back, here are the accessories I made. We have the scratchbuilt back of the blower and connector, alternator that Louie chose, the brackets, pullies and the mystery pump. There is also some sort of filler tube there. The bolts etc., will come during final assembly.

IMG_4051-vi.jpg

What we have here is a materials learning curve. The valve cover on the right is made from Smooth Cast resin. I have noticed that the objects made from this material sometimes feel sticky and might be soft. When I packed the project away, I had the cast valve cover in with the styrene parts. I opened the container and found the valve cover stuck to the styrene oil pan and injector hat. Both had softened areas where they came in contact with the resin part. Even left in the open air, they never hardened up again. What you see it the repair job on both parts. You can see the deep tube on the injector that is grafted in styrene. The pan has its repair piece ready to go. I am going to use another resin for future projects. 

IMG_4050-vi.jpg

Next up, the blower/injector and whatnot on top.

Scott

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

Today's progress. Scratchbuilt blower endplate and snout. Valve covers are close to done. That little box sits in front of the lower blower. I'm not sure what it is. I still have a little more work on the lower end of it. 

IMG_4059-vi.jpg

The blower is driven from the gear case as in your first engine picture. The box on the other end of the blower is the governor and where the throttle linkage attaches.

Happy New year.

Thanks for info Randy! Glad to see you back Francis!

I found the today to finish up the scratchbuilt parts for the front of the engine. That square is the start of a bed cover. Louie had one but abandoned it when it did not work with the wing. I think I have a way to make it work. I am waiting for some screen to arrive. 

I think this is close to the end of the scratch building. I reached out to Louie to let me know what colors/finishes he wants of the primered engine parts. Waiting for his response.

IMG_4061-vi.jpg

I think it's time to start prepping things for paint. Whoop! and Ugh.

Scott

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This might be the final piece of major fabrication. The bed cover. At one point, Louis created the bed cover seen below. He abandoned it when he realized that it would interfere with the roll bar down tubes. He told me to just come up with something. 

IMG2012072000076-vi.jpg

I wanted to keep the original look of Louis' cover and try to make it work. I can up with this two piece design. But....

IMG_4096-vi.jpg

It did not allow for the wing struts. A two piece design turned into a three piece design. I am hoping I can make a hinge of some sort for the rearmost panel. We will see.

IMG_4109-vi.jpg

• 1 month later...