Model Cars Magazine Forum

Amt Gravel trailer slightly modified & California Hauler

It's an original issue, but neither had hinges. I used some extra Italeri hinges and drilled out the front of the spring hangers. The tab on the bottom of the grill needs to be cut off also.

ok do you happen to have a god picture of one ill most likely try to scratch build the hinge

nice pete...... I wonder those stripes running up on top of the hood and fenders don't appear to be kit stuff?... was that all paint??? Stupid wireless keyboard...urghhhh

Its paint and decal. I found a good match to the off white decal color.

B7C154F2-4424-4353-A09E-837F259456A6_zps

78C2F299-1349-4D6D-A9D7-E9288E7CAC4F_zps

I painted the body this color first. Then clear, then traced the arrow decals, then masked, then painted green. The gold pinstriping is from my LHS.

Thanks Clayton, Tim, and Gator. As far as the tag axle, Im going for an old school 70's West Coast look. Nothing to heavy, just a local gravel hauler. I was considering a lift axle on the trailer, but the tandem just looks better on this one. The axles look a little too close together. I may move the front axle up a little.

Good idea with the Italeri hood hinges Terry, I like it. How is the Valspar paint, does it cover well and dry smooth?

Edited by Modeltruckbuilder

It laid on nice and smooth. I put two coats. I have no complaints.

That's good to know. Thanks Terry, I just might check out the paint next time I'm in Lowes.

I like your adjustment Terry. The spacing on the tandem suspension of the 1:1 trailer is 50", on a tri-axle it's 45" between axles. Assuming MPC was close with the tooling, then you should need at least an extra 5mm between axles (from center to center) in order to make it accurate. This was the main reason I used the suspension from an Exterior Post Van on mine, the axle spacing was more accurate. Chopping off the forward axle and not making the correction is actually quite noticeable, however you corrected that.

I like your adjustment Terry. The spacing on the tandem suspension of the 1:1 trailer is 50", on a tri-axle it's 45" between axles. Assuming MPC was close with the tooling, then you should need at least an extra 5mm between axles (from center to center) in order to make it accurate. This was the main reason I used the suspension from an Exterior Post Van on mine, the axle spacing was more accurate. Chopping off the forward axle and not making the correction is actually quite noticeable, however you corrected that.

Thanks Anthony. It measures out at exactly 50" now.

Any updates Terry?

Not much. The rear fenders and tailgate are primed and sanded. I had to strip the grill shell, which dissolved the glue, causing me to loose one of the grab handles. I need to rebuild all of that, wire and plumb the engine, some paint touch up, and clear the whole rig. I may actually finish one this year. Ill post pics later.

• 3 weeks later...

After looking at photos of 1:1 Fruehauf dump trailers, I decided to add a few features. I realized I miscounted the front steps, so I removed two of them. I added ladders to both sides of the rear. The tailgate is about ready for paint. I also cut a hole in the front for access to the ram.

3AE7F818-B666-47F2-B379-23513C84BE04_zps

3F1D5F67-B075-4022-8C27-B4817E2ADBAA_zps

8F09E6F9-4089-44C8-9874-27DD4FCF00EE_zps

I also got a few coats of paint on the rear fenders. I'm going to tape them off and add green to match the front fenders

1833CBBB-D2F8-4A31-AE57-20416A910992_zps

A4F14E81-3245-4C2C-A5AC-1FD62D940ABE_zps

2ED9FFA5-FA2E-4581-A930-CEBB5EBF7AFB_zps