Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Mustang Sportsroof

Jeff Johnston

Well its been 2 and a half years since I sold my 69 Mustang so I think its time to build a scale version. Next maybe I will build a scale version of my current 2006.

My car was like that really cute girl you knew in high school. Looked great on the outside. Very sexy and clean. Underneath, well she was not quite as put together... :)

Mine had a 302 so I am going to be using the 289 out of the AMT 67 kit as it looks way more like a 302 than the 428 that comes in the 69 kit.

I am going to take my time because there are many bits and pieces needed to make this like mine. Sometimes I tend to rush through some details and I'm trying not to do that on this build.

Here is where I am. Pretty far but I keep forget in to take pics alone the way. Snapped most of these today.

This is the trunk. When I do trunks I usually carve the detail out of sheet styrene, and glue it tothe trunk underside. It's painstaking, and sometimes the shapes are not exactly symmetrical. I decided to try something different by creating the shapes. Its a reverse of what I usually do.

Well...It will look ok but I have cince decided I like the other way better. Here is the Mustang.

327A0D28-5740-4C2A-883C-964D39F86294-272

This is the "other way". I think I like this better. This is from a 66 Mustang I did a couple years back. Too late now haha. I don't think one will be that much more noticeable on the built model, but no more experiments HAHA

IMG_1414.jpg

Sure would like some opinions on this one. Let me know what you think is more authentic looking.
Edited by Jeff Johnston

Filled in where the roll bar goes. That is left over from the Shelby kit. Actually the whole interior is from the Shelby and many parts not correct for a Mach 1 or standard fastback.

See on the drivers side rear where I cut it out and filled that in. I've done the other side now too. Also the middle arm rest in a standard mustanf is flat. no pleats kike that. I filled those gaps in with some spot bondo and sanded it smooth.

052813F9-7CA8-4F39-886F-CBF05EDC5ED1-272

The Mach 1 kit has the shaker hood. My car had the standard Mustang non functional hood scoop. I'm not sure if this was factory with the car or if someone added it along the way. It had it on the car when I got it. I sanded the opening and filled it in with styrene. My 1:1 car actually had a plate covering the opening so I am pretty sure it came on the car.

195FE858-DB73-4918-93AB-24CC01596086-272

CA72150C-3FDF-48C6-A275-0A716E565227-272

and the real car

enginedig2.jpg

Edited by Jeff Johnston

Jeff,

One of my friends has a 70 Mach 1 with the non functional scoop. It's just a standard hood with the scoop bolted on, and looks just like your old car's hood underneath. Shaker hoods are the same stampings, with the hole cut out (as well as the twist lock holes) and a trim piece added to cover the edges of the cut. His car is a late 1969 build date as well. Your build is looking great, especially opening everything up!

This should turn out to be a very nice model! I am working on a '69 Camaro and I opened the trunk and built the trunk floor base don pictures on line. I want to do the under lid detailing like you did on your Mustang - the '66 version definitely looks better. How did you go about making the "stampings" on the underside of the deck lid? That is, could you maybe back up a bit and explain your process for making the patters and what thickness of styrene did you use? Did you base the design on the real 1"1 Mustang? What you did there looks truly fantastic! My Camaro will be a gift for a friend who has a 1:1 and I want it as nice and detailed as my meager building abilities go. I - and probably many others, would appreciate a tutorial on your process if you feel up to sharing your expertise. Thank you for posting.

How did you go about making the "stampings" on the underside of the deck lid?

I print out a photo on line of the trunk and I shrink it so that its pretty much the size of the trunk in scale. Then I basically use that to draw half the shape onto a piece of white paper, and I use a #11 blade to cut the shapes out.

Then I fold this in half so I can exactly replicate the shape on the other side. Hard to explain but maybe I'll do a tutorial on it.

Once I have that paper with the skeleton cut out. I trace that onto sheet styrene, then I carefully cut it out with a blade.

Some more work last night. i tried to fabricate exhaust like I had on mine which were just pipes and a muffler (dual) but after several tries it wasn't coming out like I wanted. It just looked like styrene tubing with a couple mufflers on it. So I used the 67 Mustang exhaust and called it good enough.
I say 67 because I used the 289 out of the 67 kit as the engine. Its a lot closer to the 302 that I had in mine than is the 428 that comes in the kit.
D15707DF-A185-47A8-B4F9-95288D2356B9.jpg
ADD2E332-1DEE-4E38-8A3D-F936DC43D601.jpg
33C62D2F-6832-4C4C-98C5-3D6B90E45AF7.jpg
Edited by Jeff Johnston