Model Cars Magazine Forum

This is it - The all new Ford GT

Anyone remember that episode of BBC Top Gear, where the English and Australian presenters were competing against each other? And the Ford Transit (which turned out to be fitted with the V6 from a Jag XJ220) laid waste to the 'Vette-V8-powered Holden in a drag race? A drag race... where apparently V8 engines are supposed to rule supreme? Yeah...

:rolleyes:

do you know why it has a V6? they did it for a reason. If this was a power contest for the road, they would have used a V8. They're making a push for Le Mans around this car, and there are fuel mileage requirements. A turbo V6 is far more efficient than a V8.

For all the naysayers out there, it doesn't matter. This car will sell out like the last one. I think this being a V6 will probably increase the value of the previous GT, as it is likely the last V8 super car from Ford.

Maybe they did it for the reason & maybe that V6 with missing two cylinders is better than V8. But to me, V8 will always be "the one", and it would have made this car somewhat interesting. Now with a V6 it doesn't interest me at all. Plus that I have never heard a V6 with good sounds. And I can tell you I'm not the only one who thinks like this.

So...Even if I could afford buying this thing - I would know many, many cars that I'd buy instead.

Edited by W-409

Maybe they did it for the reason & maybe that V6 with missing two cylinders is better than V8. But to me, V8 will always be "the one", and it would have made this car somewhat interesting. Now with a V6 it doesn't interest me at all. Plus that I have never heard a V6 with good sounds. And I can tell you I'm not the only one who thinks like this.

So...Even if I could afford buying this thing - I would know many, many cars that I'd buy instead.

Ford went with a turbocharged V6 for a very important reason, they wanted the car, and engine to be within the WEC( World Endurance Championship's) requirements for engine specs

The new Ford GT was revealed today at the North American International Auto Show with a 3.5L twin-turbo V6 EcoBoost engine. The specifications for the World Endurance Championship's LM GTE class give turbo engines a maximum 4.0L displacement. Coincidence? I think not.

Source

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/surprise-surprise-the-new-ford-gt-fits-right-into-the-1678977137

Ford is building this car so it can race, and all signs point to Le Mans 2016

Edited by martinfan5

I agree it should have been a V8. Just because its American, and that's what we do here. Remember, the fastest cars in the world are rear wheel drive and V8 powered(top fuelers, and funny cars). Just my opinion, though. But I have never liked the gt40. I want a Viper.

I agree it should have been a V8. Just because its American, and that's what we do here. Remember, the fastest cars in the world are rear wheel drive and V8 powered(top fuelers, and funny cars). Just my opinion, though. But I have never liked the gt40. I want a Viper.

What do super-specialized one trick pony cars have to do with a production street car? Salt flat cars have jet engines in them, I hear they are fast. It's also funny you defend the v8, but want a car with a v10.

When it comes to the new GT, people don't understand what Ford is doing with it. They intend to win class at Le Mans 50 years after the GT40 went 1-2-3. Literally every styling and powertrain element of the car is based around that, it's irrelevant what car nerds say on the internet.

When it comes to the new GT, people don't understand what Ford is doing with it. They intend to win class at Le Mans 50 years after the GT40 went 1-2-3. Literally every styling and powertrain element of the car is based around that, it's irrelevant what car nerds say on the internet.

sums it up pretty well,

either way it's still ugly but I understand it's intended purpose . Not that theres any way in #*&% I can afford one anyway

Edited by gtx6970

What do super-specialized one trick pony cars have to do with a production street car? Salt flat cars have jet engines in them, I hear they are fast. It's also funny you defend the v8, but want a car with a v10

Just trying to make a comparison. I'm aware of Fords push to use smaller engines, and turbos. Good for them. I guess I'm one of the "knuckle dragging" neanderthals that prefer torque. I'm sure Ford can sell all the eco tech engines they can make. That's the way it seems to be going.

Personally, Id buy a 20 cylinder engine if they made one. Just to watch the tree hugging, vegan types go all crazy eyed.

You just got done with a speech about everything should be a V8 in America, and then you say you want a V10...

LeMans will be tough. The competitors are top notch, seems every one has an über car in the fight.

The GT looks killer with great stats but still, seems an up hill battle.

LeMans was a tough nut to crack when Ford went up against Europe's best back in the '60s too.

GM's best guys have done a pretty impressive job steamrolling everything else in the Corvette's class for years, and one big reason I'll probably try to find a clean-one-owner C5 in not too long.

It'll be great to see what kind of rabbits Fords magicians can pull out of their hats with the new GT.

What do super-specialized one trick pony cars have to do with a production street car? Salt flat cars have jet engines in them, I hear they are fast. It's also funny you defend the v8, but want a car with a v10.

Dont waste your time, these guys dont wanna hear the truth, or be presented with the facts, they just want to whine that times are changing and wont accept it because they are stuck living in some by gone era. Post #57 pointed out the reason why, even with a link to better explain it.

Edited by martinfan5

LeMans was a tough nut to crack when Ford went up against Europe's best back in the '60s too.

GM's best guys have done a pretty impressive job steamrolling everything else in the Corvette's class for years, and one big reason I'll probably try to find a clean-one-owner C5 in not too long.

It'll be great to see what kind of rabbits Fords magicians can pull out of their hats with the new GT.

All true ma man, all true.

They did own it back then. Do you know the back story to how Ford was gonna buy Ferrari but Ferrari said no at the very very last minute after saying yes? And he wanted to crush em so he built a Ferrari killer; the GT40.

This is the extent of what I know. Would be cool to hear more.

Gotta laugh at all the people going on and on about how "American" the V8 engine is. The V8 was a French invention. It was popular there for quite a time before it became popular here. Info's out there... look it up. :rolleyes:

For the record, I suppose I should state that I am in no way anti-V8... more than half of the vehicles I've owned have been so equipped, My current daily driver is powered by a V8. But even with gas prices as (relatively) low as they currently are, there are times when I wish it wasn't. So I can see both sides of the coin.

...Do you know the back story to how Ford was gonna buy Ferrari but Ferrari said no at the very very last minute after saying yes? And he wanted to crush em so he built a Ferrari killer; the GT40.

This is the extent of what I know. Would be cool to hear more.

I've heard several versions of the story over the years. This one seems credible... http://www.sportscars.tv/Newfiles/66fordbuyferrari.html

Here's a slightly different spin, from another angle, and after the deal fell through...

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/racing/0909_henry_ford_ii_vs_enzo_ferrari_great_rivalries/

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Man, if anybody reads about that car and still says "not even if I had the money", they are nuts. I would buy one if I had the money.

The technology in the GT will benefit a lot more of Fords line too - they have already made an aluminum bodied truck saving 700 pounds - 700 pounds!!! If some if the weight saving tech gets pushed from the GT and with Ecoboost tech expanding, they are in a win win situation - more power, lighter weight vehicles. Kudos Ford.

I've heard several versions of the story over the years. This one seems credible... http://www.sportscars.tv/Newfiles/66fordbuyferrari.html

Here's a slightly different spin, from another angle, and after the deal fell through...

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/racing/0909_henry_ford_ii_vs_enzo_ferrari_great_rivalries/

Both fun articles to read, thanks Bill.

Technically, of course, Henry Ford II didn't "build a Ferrari killer", though he did pay for it. He wanted to win Le Mans, and thought that the best way to do it would be to buy Ferrari. When that didn't work, he came to visit some plucky Brit "garagistes" instead: Lotus, Cooper and Lola. The GT40 (Mk1 at least) is pretty much a Lola Mk6 with a Ford engine, built in the UK, and overseen by Roy Lunn, the only Ford engineer with experience of mid-engined cars, and John Wyer, who'd made his name racing Astons. To begin with, Ford had no idea how to make an engine that would run reliably for the 24H, or indeed a car that wouldn't fall apart. After the first, failed, season, they gave the project to Carroll Shelby, who had "form" with big Ford engines, to make it work with a new engine and a new gearbox...

And this:

http://www.amazon.com/Go-Like-Hell-Ferrari-Battle/dp/0547336055

Is a really fantastic book on it. Written like a thriller, but all true...

bestest,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon