Model Cars Magazine Forum

Background diorama / Flatheads to Boxers Engine Rebuilders : new tool, new room

landman

1 hour ago, Flat32 said:

Saw that car run some 55 years ago back in New Jersey at Island Dragway..  Had no idea the engines were so small.  Did all issues of the kit have internal engine details??

Couldn't tell you Ray but I'm sure someone here can.

3 hours ago, Flat32 said:

How tall is the figure?  I assume he's 1:24 scale because Pintle doesn't currently offer 1:25.  How tall is the Boss figure??

You are correct, Printle figures are 1/24. The Boss is 7.23 cm which translates to 68.3 inches in 1/14 and 71 inches in 1:25. The big fellow is 7.55 cm which translates to 71.3 in 1/14 and 74.3 in 1/25. Of course, if the Boss' hat was off, he'd be shorter.

2 hours ago, Flat32 said:

You need a Printle Boss.  The 1:24 figures fit your diorama better in my view.  You don't need the hat on the figure from Printle.  You can always scratch a couple different hats.

The Boss IS Printle Ray. I had asked for a guy with a fedora and his hands in his pockets. He gave several examples and I picked him.

Boss looks good in today's pics.  Why does he look so small in yesterday's pic??  Is it just positioning Boss closer to camera, or is it camera angle?  Probably both.

I can almost hear and smell the fun you're having.

15 minutes ago, Flat32 said:

Boss looks good in today's pics.  Why does he look so small in yesterday's pic??  Is it just positioning Boss closer to camera, or is it camera angle?  Probably both.

I can almost hear and smell the fun you're having.

He was three steps behind, that's why.

On 4/28/2019 at 5:56 AM, Breezy said:

Lookin good. That compressor looks amazing with the dust on it. Love all the tools around the shop. How big is this? 

They are about 15" x 30" and sit on adjacent shelves in a bookcase.

IMG_4970.jpg

IMG_8134.JPG

Edited by landman

At one time, the space between the office door and the shop door was occupied by lockers and the bookshelf

Apr 19 16 (8).JPG

Then later, it was the engine display stand.

Plymouth 6 trio.JPG

After that was moved the Boss used to park one of his cars there. they were mostly in the way.

IMG_7298.JPG

One day, he saw this. And it turns out he has a junk Merc. 

Mercury love seat.jpg

Edited by landman

In a bag of junk engines I bought on eBay there was a Boss 429. Only it wasn't. Someone had made a Boss 9 by gluing Boss valve covers on another engine.

IMG_8405.jpg

Turns out the pundits here pegged it as an Olds. So with the help of some 3D printed valve covers and some detailing I'll attempt to turn it into a 371 J2. 

IMG_8923.JPG.cf1817b1fa7b195164749e9f53dcf36e.JPG

Even a change in color is maling it more Oldsey.

IMG_8928.JPG.5fb6f9978292579060649d8bf23eecf3.JPG

Edited by landman