Model Cars Magazine Forum

Background diorama / Flatheads to Boxers Engine Rebuilders : new tool, new room

landman

Started on a wall/floor mounted jib crane.I think the girder was part of a trailer kit .

IMG_4495.JPG.91bfb2b0803821ebf7220b69d2fa6a1e.JPG

It will reach all the machines

IMG_4496.JPG.ec5da4c9bf5ff51cedd5786e3e1b8269.JPG

Used my new mini lathe to bore holes in a rod that will become part of the cable hoist carrier.

IMG_4494.JPG.d3c6e0b506be1fdbbd9fc04979d4eaae.JPG

IMG_4491.JPG

Edited by landman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FTB recently completed a Pontiac SD 421. It is the one from the ERTL parts pak, which is a drag engine with three induction options. I chose the dual four setup but "streetified". The starter, water pump ,fan/pulleys/alternator assembly, distributor came from the parts bin. The oil filter, fuel pump, distributor dashpot and various tubing were scratchbuilt.

DSC_0205.JPG

DSC_0206.JPG

DSC_0207.JPG

Edited by landman

The next machine I was going to build was one of these block mounted cylinder boring machines.

spacer.png

I couldn't remember seeing on what they placed the blocks to do the bores so I went back. they use one of these, an OTC revolver 6000lb. stand.

1419446472_Heavydutyenginestand(2).JPG.033f46aeef333a5af2df75ca16a7532c.JPG

428502211_Heavydutyenginestand.jpg.6ed1f7d2e33f1a0f70b1c29d37232a89.jpg

I started on it this morning

IMG_4701.JPG.379638b1068657b82191c6dcbe7bcab8.JPG

Edited by landman

Completed and installed jib crane.

IMG_4527.jpg

I got behind viewing and it ALL looks spectacular so far! Everything just looks right.

One little tip from one who spent a career designing cranes would be to add small lengths of angle on the web between flanges as bump stops for the hoist. These are always there and will be a tiny detail that's noticeable. They would be right where you have some bolt heads.

I got behind viewing and it ALL looks spectacular so far! Everything just looks right.

One little tip from one who spent a career designing cranes would be to add small lengths of angle on the web between flanges as bump stops for the hoist. These are always there and will be a tiny detail that's noticeable. They would be right where you have some bolt heads.

Mike, I put the short tubings there as stops but if real cranes have angles, this one'll get them. thanks for the kind words and the suggestion.

Mike, I put the short tubings there as stops but if real cranes have angles, this one'll get them. thanks for the kind words and the suggestion.

eheh, the bolts do look ok but won't stop that hoist from coming off the end. To bash it to death, a L3x3 is is commonly used. That's 3 inches)

An exceptional collection of builds and a real show case of your scratch building skills. This is a real joy to watch come together. It has also taken me down memory lane, I used to work in an engine shop and got to use all the big machines, except the crank grinder. Great experience, miss it.

An exceptional collection of builds and a real show case of your scratch building skills. This is a real joy to watch come together. It has also taken me down memory lane, I used to work in an engine shop and got to use all the big machines, except the crank grinder. Great experience, miss it.

Thanks Lloyd. If you recognized the machines, it means they look OK to someone who knows them, which means I was somewhat successful in their representation. I took some of the pictures to the shop whose machines I copied and he had a kick out of that.