Model Cars Magazine Forum

Background diorama / Flatheads to Boxers Engine Rebuilders : new tool, new room

landman

now it gets interesting !! love the machines and engine blocks ... awsome !!

one idea > when you print a control panel and stick it on .. after that if you would glue like sticking out buttons and lights and switchess .. on the printed switches ..paint then .. you really get the 3-d effect and makes it even more realistic ....

the floor ..cool idea with the tyremarks .. not sure yet how it looks when everything is in ....for me atm it looks kind of "busy" cant remember ever seeing so much tyremarks on a shop floor > not ment bady .. i just hope it doesnt take away to much attention from the awsome machines and all

keep it going !! love it

now it gets interesting !! love the machines and engine blocks ... awsome !!

one idea > when you print a control panel and stick it on .. after that if you would glue like sticking out buttons and lights and switchess .. on the printed switches ..paint then .. you really get the 3-d effect and makes it even more realistic ....

the floor ..cool idea with the tyremarks .. not sure yet how it looks when everything is in ....for me atm it looks kind of "busy" cant remember ever seeing so much tyremarks on a shop floor > not ment bady .. i just hope it doesnt take away to much attention from the awsome machines and all

keep it going !! love it

Actually, the tire marks DO overwhelm the rest. I wonder how I could tone them down. By rubbing with graphite like I did in the engine shop maybe.

i would just go for a darker colored floor .. like paint it grey and use some washes with a cloth ... when everything is in you could weather some earea's where they have walked alot , like around the machines and from the door to > ?? .. real tyremarks like that .. i would not do them ..

its like you could do it but more like > where the cars drive in to where they usually sit .. like to a lift or earea where they sit .. but then more like the floor is a tad (tiny bit) wrk from all those years of driving over the floor .. and then not even like distinguished straight lines .. more like just visible .. like ghost fames are .. and maybe some spots less then others ...

tyremarks like you have now are more from skidding or when they would turn with some speed ... wich in the small space would not happen imo

again the idea is cool just doesnt work that well in a garage

all ment well :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My wife had bought some oranges at Christmas. They were in very thin plywood crates. I thought that would make some good workbench tops and shelves.

698775269_Feb916(2).JPG.17a4065fb9fcae2aeeb66ee0203abead.JPG

Tried my hand at rags. The "oil" looks a bit shiny for my taste. If it doesn't dull up, I'll give them a shot of Dullcote.

1941930471_Feb916(1).JPG.8d72cb9dd7577669286f7aa96852cc2d.JPG

Edited by landman

Thanks guys. I have a few ideas that'll require some input. Stay tuned.

I am contemplating building a display stand with three engines to illustrate the shop's name and vocation. I would put it at either A or B in the photo below. I was thinking one flathead, one boxer and something in between. The name "Flatheads to Boxers" implies just that, mild to exotic with everything in-between. I'm open to suggestions. It'll be interesting to see what people think. Here's a starting point: Packard Super 8 - Ford 427 - Testarossa. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2015 at 9:51 AM, Tom Geiger said:

Hey Pat, this all looks great except you need to add baseboard trim.  Your walls look like sheetrock and no finisher would leave that edge unprotected.  Most sheetrock installers actually install the board about a 1/2" above the floor so it won't wick up floor moisture nor liquid spills. Then that gets covered with a baseboard trim.  Easy to do, just paint it black.

Here you go Tom. Baseboards added. Yoiu were right, it looks better.

1715847343_Mar52016(2).JPG.4163b1ae82c0df3435d99b1c625a9d4b.JPG

415281999_Mar52016(3).JPG.27d318398aca00274c1eb0cf414c9143.JPG

Edited by landman

THUD!!  That is the sound of my jaw dropping looking at this outstanding piece of art.  You must have the hands of a brain surgeon and the eyes of an eagle to have hand-painted all those tools.  The colors you use, the weathering, and the mix of textures brings this work alive.

BTW, what is that beauty parked in the 1:1 garage?

THUD!!  That is the sound of my jaw dropping looking at this outstanding piece of art.  You must have the hands of a brain surgeon and the eyes of an eagle to have hand-painted all those tools.  The colors you use, the weathering, and the mix of textures brings this work alive.

BTW, what is that beauty parked in the 1:1 garage?

Don't hurt yourself Rick. Although I am glad you enjoy it. It started out as a background for photos, (which it still is) but it seems to have taken on a life of its own.

The car in my garage is a 1934 Chevrolet Master 5 window coupe. It had been my dad's during the mid to late forties.I am trying to replicate it in this thread:http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/89965-1934-chevrolet-master-5-window-coupe/