Model Cars Magazine Forum

1931 Rolls Royce

bbowser

Finished this one last night. The kit chrome tree was terrible, looks more like brushed aluminum, but overall I'm pretty happy with it. I wanted understated colors for a "proper" British motorcar, I wish now I would have gone with blackwall tires. Here's the pics, comments welcome, as always thanks for looking!

SAM_5202_zpsecd60c79.jpg

SAM_5199_zps23edaf5f.jpg

SAM_5201_zps0226578e.jpg

SAM_5173_zps7f40ff38.jpg

SAM_5172_zps161cd90c.jpg

A very nice and tasteful build Bruce. What scale and kit is this?

The body panels are very well aligned. The paint scheme is very pleasant and somewhat unusual. The white tires don't hurt it - you can test before completion by mounting the black side out on one side of the car and compare to the left with white showing. Then make your choice.

Great to see another classic on here - well done.

Great job with incredible seat work. Since the car has left-hand drive, it would appear to be an American version, so whitewalls are very appropriate. Also, the engine has a correct reverse, mirror-image configuration of the RHD British version.

I would assume this is Monogram's phaeton version of their Henley roadster.

Edited by sjordan2

All I would have done differently would have been to add the darker gray accent for contrast to the upper horizontal molding from front to rear. But this is still a great job and an example of how nice these early Monogram classics are, and with pretty nice plastic wire wheels for the scale.

Thanks for all the kind words. I agree a contrasting stripe would be appropriate, good idea Skip. As far as the seats, i sprayed with Krylon burgundy satin enamel, then applied a thinned out acrylic black wash with a fat brush. One of Harry's posts about black washes encouraged me to try it, I was afraid it was a little heavy-handed but they came out OK. I usually only use the wash for panel lines before paint, ala Cruz. I have acquired several more of these Monogram classics and am getting better with each one. Next up may be a Packard!

Thanks for all the kind words. I agree a contrasting stripe would be appropriate, good idea Skip. As far as the seats, i sprayed with Krylon burgundy satin enamel, then applied a thinned out acrylic black wash with a fat brush. One of Harry's posts about black washes encouraged me to try it, I was afraid it was a little heavy-handed but they came out OK. I usually only use the wash for panel lines before paint, ala Cruz. I have acquired several more of these Monogram classics and am getting better with each one. Next up may be a Packard!

Keep it up, Bruce! We need more classics! B)