Model Cars Magazine Forum

What percentage of kits that you start get finished?

I'd say 90%. Even if I put a project away, it will still get completed someday. However if my custom design does not come out as envisioned, and it is unlikely to be achieved, I will totally scrap or trade away the project. Also a poorly fitting kit will very likely end up as scrap.

You familiar with the Mendoza Line?

I'm well below average, but having fun and I work on something every day and fully enjoy it .. when I feel like it. That's a hobby ... :)

"When a kit's built, you have nothing to build"

Modeling is ALL about building, not finishing as fast as you can.

I have never completed a kit 100% in the last 8 years. I have posted 2 in the completed section, but one was missing mirrors and the other a hood. I have a very nice one I am building that is 95% complete, but I broke an A pillar and threw it in a box. I'll get back to it some day. I am constantly building. I think I have about 35-ish models, about 25 of them in progress at varying stages. I enjoy building and detailing. Painting has been my downfall. I always get dust or polish through and I don't have the patience or interest to strip and fix, so I just start with a new kit.

I think some day, these will all come together and instead of several years of building a bunch of stuff half way, I will be finishing all of them. Hopefully. If not, I still have fun building.

There is a lot to be said for the unfinished kit. Why they happen is often a mystery. I currently have three kits in process. They will all get done eventually. They always do. I am by nature a slow builder, often prodded on by a contest to finish something but always good to have something on the bench. I can's say 100% get done as long as there are unfinished, but there is really only on that has been in that state for a long time. I started it in my Mom's hospital room, before she passed, and it is really hard to get back to. The rest get done.