Model Cars Magazine Forum

NASCAR -- this floored me

I was in Michael's in northern NJ, which carries more than a representative selection of plastic kits. The section was fully stocked with military (aircraft, ships), space shuttle, Titanic, snap-kits, but overall 75% cars. What I noticed...not a single NASCAR subject. Not one. Is their some link between Nascar's marketing missteps and what shows up at a mass market craft store (and one of the biggest kit sellers) in this densely populated area? I couldn't get over it, although I hear that people can't give away Nascar kits online.

Interest in NASCAR kits has been on a decline for sometime. I'm using all my old duplicates for chassis and engines for "pro touring" type builds. I think they are worth more as parts rather than complete kits. I personally think its a shame, but that's just me.

It seems like interest in NASCAR overall has been dwindling, too. From what I have heard, some 41,000 (yep, forty-one thousand) seats will be removed from Charlotte Motor Speedway. That's a lot of missing butts; ergo, a lot of missing bucks. And, the Hall of Fame, just "down the road" in Charlotte, has been having financial issues. I don't pretend to know all the reasons, I can only speculate. But, when the reigning champion is a person who will push another driver into a fight situation, then run away, that doesn't help the sport. I don't subscribe to the "it's so expensive to go to a race" camp because it costs a lot to attend ANY type of sporting event. But, that's just my two cents.

Every swap I set up at I do a little 'social engineering' experiment. I'll put a kit out prominently (not buried in the boxes) with "Free To Good Home" on them. NASCAR kits are the only ones I regularly bring back home. :huh:

Boy, I wish we had vendors like that around here. Bummer.

At any show I've been to the vendors want full sticker or more for any kits. NASCAR kits are regularly at the $15, $20 mark and up. They all see it as a 15+ year old kit and think it's worth big bucks.

Edited by hpiguy

A couple of years ago, a guy set up at the local IPMS show with an entire table of nothing but NASCAR kits. $2 each. A lot of car guys come to that show. At the end of the day, he still took a bunch of them home.

I've got a few of the AMT Eighties/Nineties kits (they do have a lot of good parts). Never paid more than $3 for any of them. The truck chassis are a bit longer, and look like they would be a good fit under larger Sixties car bodies for a pro-touring sort of thing.

A while back, I picked up a couple of the earliest Monogram NASCAR kits. That series of kits was a long and successful one for Monogram, and a landmark of sorts. I got one of the first two Buick Regals, sealed, for $3. That's the original early Eighties issue, not a later repop. I've got one of the earlier Monte Carlos that I think I paid $5 for.

Part of the problem when the NASCAR bubble burst was that the early kits became worth collector money so people stocked up on new issues thinking history would repeat itself. With the demand, the mfgrs made more, and most of these never got consumed. So we have a glut on the market.

What we need to do... if everyone bought five NASCAR kits, destroyed them and threw them away, we could wipe these out within our lifetime! :lol: