top-view.jpg
right-profile.jpg
opened-up-high-rear.jpg
opened-up-high-rear-left.jpg
opened-up-left-profile.jpg
right-front.jpg
just-stepped-out-2.jpg
rear-view.jpg
What a beautifully engineered kit, especially around the "working" features. Literally the only place I used filler in the whole build was a small smear to fill the join line UNDERNEATH the black wing mirrors -- a real "because God can see" moment... There's a bit of extra wiring on the engine (the only bits you can see are the four wires from the cylinder heads disapperaing under the airbox, and then only if you look. The OOB engine is pretty good.
Interior paint is mostly Vallejo and Citadel, plus Tamiya Rubber Black and NATO black. Exterior is Zero Paints Giallo Orion and Tamiya Rubber Black from a rattle can. The wing has a masked "carbon" texture, not that you'd notice in these pictures! The main thing I learned from this is that if you are spraying a two-layer colour (yellow base overlaid with gold "pearl"), then you need to keep the pieces physically as close together as you can while you spray, to make sure they come out an even colour. If you look carefully, the doors and airscoops are a very slightly darker yellow than the main body. I've distracted as much as possible from it with big black decals etc so it's not too noticeable, but it's a lesson I've hauled on board.
bestest,
M.
Edited by Matt Bacon

Thanks, so much, guys. It really is a brilliantly engineered kit, but it pays to read and understand the instructions -- sometimes the diagrams are not so clear! The only thing I'd do differently if I was doing another one would be to fit the door interiors to the outers, and fill and sort out the join before doing any painting, priming the whole lot and then masking the interior structure before painting the skins. That might mean having to use acetate for the windows to fit them after painting, but that's not such a bad idea anyway. I might thin down the door edges a bit as well, at least on the three visible sides...

Skip -- this one's a bit of an embarrassment -- I started back in May, but only got the body painted before we moved house (I was distracted by the lovely little Alfa GTA and focused on finishing that instead). I came back to it at the end of November, so there's about two months elapsed time in there, but I really didn't get much modelling done over the holiday season...

Now to decide what to do next... a model car that's the closest I'm likely to get to building one I've really bought in my lifetime (no, it's NOT a Ferrari ;-P); one of several bargain 1/48 aircraft that'll take me back to my modelling roots; or a quirky Classic British Kit that presents something we all make all the time in an unusual way and at a much larger (and almost functional) scale...?

bestest,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon