Model Cars Magazine Forum

'37 Studebaker traditional Hot Rod Pickup

P1150094_zpsaf0f6f31.jpg

P1150091_zps40fecbf8.jpg

I've just completed this '37 Studebaker hot rod pickup using a NAPA promo diecast toy/coin-bank as starting material. I've tried to keep it all Studebaker by using an Avanti R2 (Paxton supercharged) motor, transmission, and rear axle....pirated from an old Aurora plastic kit that was languishing in my parts bin.

The custom 'roll and pleat' interior uses a '51 Studebaker dashboard and steering wheel, also from my parts bin, as well as felt carpeting.
Some of the other modifications to the model include: removing and filling the fender mounted spare tire cavity, reducing the diameter of the front fender openings, lowering the headlights, smoothing the running boards, reshaping the original's crude windshield opening (including the addition of new glazing and wire trim), lowering and tapering the engine hood, rolling the rear pan, adding louvers to the hood and tailgate, brake-forming a custom tarp, adding a discrete handmade outside rear view mirror, lowering the suspension all around, and finishing the car with custom mixed 'pearl sea-foam' basecoat/clearcoat. The traditional wheels are chrome 'steelies' with wide-whites. Exhaust is polished aluminum tubing, and the simulated mylar fender welting is plated jewelry wire.
P1150093_zps77d5f256.jpg
P1110066_zps539f0560.jpg
unnamed_zps3217252f.jpg
P1150092_zpse305ab05.jpg
P1150102_zps64c2fd2b.jpg
P1150095_zps4e4e86c4.jpg

this came out really nice and I admire the skill required to work with die-cast.

but ... what qualifies this as "traditional" versus a "contemporary" vehicle?

For me, 'traditional' means low tech drivetrain (in this case 1963), roll-n-pleat interior, steel wheels and bias-ply wide whitewall tires (or simulated bias-ply). I realize that these days, lots of new 1/1 builds emulate that '50s and early '60s era and, to be honest, those are the hot rods I love.