Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sox & Martin Gtx

Ponti

Hi Guys & Gals,

The build is currently here,

Workbench build

Am having problems finding information on the car. What I would like to know is did they run full exhaust systems or did they only run headers? :blink:

Happy Modelling

Andrew

According to the 1967 NHRA rulebook: "Exhaust system must be equal to factory equipment per h.p. claimed. Dual exhaust pipes, with mufflers are permitted.

Headers are also accepted, but exhaust must be routed through mufflers and tail pipes. All mufflers must be production type and installed in the stock location with tail pipes extending at least to the rear axle. The main body of any replacement muffler must be at least 19" in length. Open by-passes may be used, but must be installed in front of the muffler and installed in such a manner as to direct exhaust away from the strip, tires, and car body. Outlets for open exhaust cannot exceed 3.5" in diameter. A maximum of two (2) outlets per car permitted. No flexible pipe permitted on any car in competition."

A lot of words but I hope that it answers your question! I'm fairly certain that in 1968 an exhaust system was not required.

Walter

thinking about it i wonder if it would have used a exhaust system like a t-bolt had. open headers but with the stock single exhaust hooked to the side of one header. true t-bolts have thestock muffler in the stock location an since it is hooked up to one header a lil exhaust does go through it.

RONNIESOX1967GTXvi-vi.jpg

Can't see much of the underside but a great pic nonetheless.

WF

Always love that picture, wish I'd seen them racing.

thinking about it i wonder if it would have used a exhaust system like a t-bolt had. open headers but with the stock single exhaust hooked to the side of one header. true t-bolts have thestock muffler in the stock location an since it is hooked up to one header a lil exhaust does go through it.

Interesting thought.

As no clear ideas then, I think ill stick with the kit set-up of full exhaust, which is a twin system.

Cheers guys

I think the full exhaust system just as it was from the factory had to remain in place but it was modified with some additional short pieces of pipe added just past the collectors for the headers and in front of the mufflers . I know that's what they used for several years bt I'll have to check and see if they were doing it in 68'. I'll try to look in my SS ref books and matierial for you in the next few days and let you know.

Chris