Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trailmobile 27' Pup Trailers Scratch Built

Hey all this is my first post as a new member. This is my first attempt at scratch building and I have not built any models in decades.

I got a notion to build models of some of the trucks that I drove back in the 70's and to build models of others that I thought were too cool! I got into the scratch building because I was frustrated by the scarcity of certain kits, particularly the pup trailers. I became inspired by the scratch project of other members so I decided to give it a go.

I didn't plan to build the Trailmobiles but I had an AMT US Mail rig to use as an example so I could gain experience before I get into building Pup Trailers from photos. I intend to build a variety of them including bullnose vans and wedge vans to imitate those of Consolidated Freightways and P.I.E..

Anyways, I'll post my progress. I'll start with 5 scratch Trailmobile Dry Vans. I am in the body assembly phase and am as far along as the photos show. post-14992-0-29855300-1421530247_thumb.jpost-14992-0-89920700-1421530301_thumb.jpost-14992-0-11930100-1421530556_thumb.j

First off WELCOME! they look SUPER! Lots of nice guys on here willing to share experiences and tricks and all skill levels represented. A truly positive place with lots of encouragement.

And so another first scratch scratchbuilder enters the dark side. Is there some sort of death ray from Andromeda or something going on I should know about?

Peace.

Coincidentally, for the last few days I've been looking over all the internet and mostly ebay for a pup trailer but they are very limited and the very few you find are ridiculously expensive. Finally I gave up and thought about doing the same thing you are doing but my skill level is not that good. But I see you are good at it. So if you are willing to sell at least one of those let me know.

Edited by angelo7

Wow they look realy cool B)How did you do the rivets?

Getting the rivets right was actually where I started. I wanted to model the exterior post trailers and the posts were a real challenge. The posts needed to be essentially a double row of rivets. I tried a single row rivet tool but the spacing and size were too far off for 1/25 scale and making the 2 rows consistently with the sinlge row tool was impossible. So I ended up making a double row tool to do the posts and I found that I could use just one side of the tool to make single rows of rivets for the panels. I'll attempt to add a picture of the tool.

You've got to be kidding me :blink: ......Where in the world did you get that rivet tool???? I want one of those....And I'm sure just about all of us would like to know that......

You say you're a first time scratchbuilder????? I'll tell you that is a Veteran move, there......NICE JOB on these, Man....The rivets are what makes these things look a cut above the rest......

Man, I gotta get me one of those, Dude!!!!!!! :D

You've got to be kidding me :blink: ......Where in the world did you get that rivet tool???? I want one of those....And I'm sure just about all of us would like to know that......

You say you're a first time scratchbuilder????? I'll tell you that is a Veteran move, there......NICE JOB on these, Man....The rivets are what makes these things look a cut above the rest......

Man, I gotta get me one of those, Dude!!!!!!! :D

JT - I think Trumpeter has them or use to anyway. These are real popular with aircraft builders. I had one but I am pretty sure I gave it away.

• 5 weeks later...

This is my work to date on the 27' Trailmobile Trailers.

I am using the AMT model as the basis for my trailers. I varied a bit on the ICC bumper, reinforcement for the pintle mount and a more robust frame for the rear door, but I have pretty much followed the lines of the AMT.

I still have some minor body work to do but the boxes are essentially finished. I'll add king pins where needed then on to landing gear and suspensions.

This has taken much longer than I had expected but I'm learning much as I go. I'll have to wait for spring to prime and paint but at the rate I'm going it may be summer!

post-14992-0-33472100-1424226519_thumb.j

post-14992-0-20873000-1424226571_thumb.j

post-14992-0-28114300-1424226633_thumb.j

post-14992-0-70315000-1424226773_thumb.j