Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Late-1960's MGB; has a kit ever been produced?

I've been recently intrigued by late-1960's sports car racers, and am wondering if any kit manufacturers have ever made a 1/25 scale, late-1960's, (1967-69, specifically), MGB sports car in either factory-stock or race car form?

I believe there might have been one in 1/24 scale from Gunze Sanyo or another foreign kit manufacturer, but any from an American kit manufacturer? And if so, if the kit had decent detail and build-ability.

I'd appreciate any input from the kit historians out there.

aoshima is who you mean, in 1/24 scale. excellent kits no motor detail but everything else is pretty good. I don't recall if they have rubber bumper versions (edit: oh I see it in the photos above) but I have a number of their chrome bumper kits in various versions. I have more than I need matter of fact so...

usenicemontecarlofrontfe6.jpg

GT conversion resin body:

usegtrearrightxf6.jpg

jb

Edited by jbwelda

Never done in 1/25, nor by any US model manufacturer. However, Gunze-Sangyo did it in 1/24 scale (just 4-percent larger than 1/25 scale) in a very nicely done curbside kit--in several variants as well.

Art

Art, didn't you cast an MGB-GT coupe for the Aoshima? I'm old, and bought Duesies and Fords, but I recall that towards end. Hope you're good.

L

Yes, like the others said; it is a very good kit. Simplified underneath, but excellent detail and proportions to the body. The only nit to pick is the suspension. The supplied suspension is only correct for the "Biglip" rubber bumper version. From what I have been told; When the U.S. DOT implemented the demand for 5MPH bumpers, they also specified a height above ground level within witch this bumper had to be located. One of the changes MG made to comply with the new rules was to lift the suspension about two inches or so in order to bring the bumpers high enough.

If a chrome bumper MGB is built straight out of the box (like mine) it will be sitting a little too high.

DSCF0267.jpg

This kit has also been issued in an Airfix box.

Never done in 1/25, nor by any US model manufacturer. However, Gunze-Sangyo did it in 1/24 scale (just 4-percent larger than 1/25 scale) in a very nicely done curbside kit--in several variants as well.

Art

Art,

It's Aoshima, not Gunze who did the 1/24 MGB bodies. I know the kits pretty well since doing the GT master for you a couple decades ago. I wish Aoshima would reissue them, it's been awhile and the kits are almost as hard to find as the resin bodies.

Dave Toups did a great LHD dash conversion that Norm/Replicas & Miniatures cast, not sure if it is still in the catalog or not.

These MGB kits need some lowering for the earlier versions; the kits are done w/the tall ride height seen on the rubber-bumper variants.

Art,

It's Aoshima, not Gunze who did the 1/24 MGB bodies. I know the kits pretty well since doing the GT master for you a couple decades ago. I wish Aoshima would reissue them, it's been awhile and the kits are almost as hard to find as the resin bodies.

Dave Toups did a great LHD dash conversion that Norm/Replicas & Miniatures cast, not sure if it is still in the catalog or not.

These MGB kits need some lowering for the earlier versions; the kits are done w/the tall ride height seen on the rubber-bumper variants.

Got anymore GT's lying around Bob?

Art,

Bob,

Time appears to have the ability to fog my memory! You are correct.

Art

I put an unopened club racing version out on ebay last night for a reasonable opening bid (< 30$). so far today no watchers no bids and only 6 people have looked at it.

so much for really really sought after.

of course its still early but i would have expected at least some watchers by now. maybe it will heat up over the weekend

jb