Model Cars Magazine Forum

Slixx funny car decals keep cracking - any suggestions?

Hi, last year I was building a Shirley Muldowney Mustang, using the Slixx Frederick's of Hollywood Shirley decals. Most went on OK, but the gold flames and orange roof trim stripes cracked. After the ones for one side cracked, I coated the other side's decals with Microscale's brush on decal film made for this purpose. Then those cracked even worse.

I am in the midst of decaling the LA Hooker '71 or '72 Mustang. The Slixx decals came with duplicates of the red striping marked "fix" on the sheet. They went on fine, but I screwed one up and decided to use the same stripe from the main sheet. It cracked like crazy.

Tonight I am trying to decal the Mickey Thompson Revellaser. I had read these Slixx decals tended to crack, so I was careful and one side cracked anyway. I again went the Microscale route and again, they cracked worse than the untreated side.

I have a big inventory of Slixx decals. Is all this cracking the norm? If so, I am going to give up with them unless there is a way to fix them. I have considered spraying them with Krylon, but am then worried that Microl Sol and Micro Set won't work on the Krylon coating, meaning I won't be able to get them to bend or fit into crevices as needed. Thoughts and advice are welcomed!! Chris

I had the same issue with a sheet for the Willie Borsch Charger about 2 years ago.

I ended up getting another sheet from a member and it was fine.

I wonder if it's from age,,,and wonder if the slixx sheets are drying out ( god I hope not,,,as I have a few dozen sheets in the stash for later projects )

I keep all my aftermkt decals in an old magnetic sleeve photo album so I tend to think they are are tight ,,,I guess time will tell .

Edited by gtx6970

I've had older Slixx decals that had been exposed for a long time, crack. The only new ones that I've ever had that problem with was the Barry Setzer Vega funny car set. I was applying that long yellow stripe and it broke in two places. I managed to put it together and you couldn't see the seams unless you looked real close.