Model Cars Magazine Forum

Load binders & hooks

Personally I would want the ratchet type binders. done with the seperate hooks etc. Never have like the snapover binders.

But I would take some of them as solid units to hang un behind the cab or onthe side of the trailer rub rails.

The KFS binders are photoectehed. Don't know how much load they will stand?

Be Well

Gator

All,

I've updated the ratcheting style as well as the indirect to remove the link between the hook & the Eye. The ratcheting have the eyes separate as well. There's also now a set of 20 Gladhands!!!!

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/DownRangeProductions1-35th-scale?section=Semi+truck%2Ftrailer+accesories&s=0

I'm hoping I've worked the kinks out of the load binders.

Shapeways handles all of the production/shipping. I create the CAD models, & upload them to them, they handle everything else. It's a relatively new type of arrangement, but saves me from investing in a high end 3d printer. (Which I'm pretty sure I can't get past the wife anyway!!!!)

Edited by mdlbldrmatt135

The resolution of these cheap 3D printers (Makerbot, Dremel, etc) is not very good. I have a local guy that has been doing a lot of my 3D printing for me. He has multiple 3D printers, but the one with the best resolution (which gives the crispest detail on small parts) costs over $100,000. The cheap $1,000 machines do not give you very good surface finish or detail.

If you are going to go with something like makerbot, might as well hit the thrift store, for some scanners, buy a couple of cheap motors, and arduino copy, and build one yourself for about 150 bucks. Same resolution, in fact mostly the same device just in a not as pretty package.

For me depending on what it was I was doing, PLA would work, as I'm perfectly happy just using it as a master.

As you said though, resolution leaves something to be desired. Third party printing though is becoming more affordable. Just a couple of years ago, same thing you can do now at shapeways for 5-10 bucks would have cost 50-100. I expect it to get cheaper too., but I also expect a minimum to make it worth it for them.

Edited by fantacmet

Well they showed up today. I have to admit they are nice looking, however they are super friggin TINY. I'll probably have to do some modifications just to get the chain and cable on them. If that doesn't work I'll save them for my armor models.

I have no doubt painted and assembled they'll look great.

Well they showed up today. I have to admit they are nice looking, however they are super friggin TINY. I'll probably have to do some modifications just to get the chain and cable on them. If that doesn't work I'll save them for my armor models.

I have no doubt painted and assembled they'll look great.

I have a set cast in white metal in 1/35... those are tiny... these actually measure bigger!!

Shapeways handles all of the production/shipping. I create the CAD models, & upload them to them, they handle everything else. It's a relatively new type of arrangement, but saves me from investing in a high end 3d printer. (Which I'm pretty sure I can't get past the wife anyway!!!!)

At 100K, you'd have to be

1. Loaded or...
  2. Have a very tolerant wife. :lol:

I've lost 2 assemblies in 10 minutes, these aren't being used on the logging truck that's for sure. I'll have to figure something else out.

As for getting something past the wife for me that's the tough part. She's generally "it's your money spend it how you want." However, back when she was pregnant with our first son, I bought her a handgun and 500 rounds of ammo. She's well aware of how to get the lead where she wants it to go. I do have to tread lightly by default, but I must be doing something right because 9 years later and no extra holes.

I know at least the TAP Plastics Quick Cast Resin has been very strong. The biggest weak points with the printed ones are the eyelets where the links go through are not big enough for any link size out there, can't be drilled through, those also break off really easy. The hooks also are too small to slip onto a chain. I might be able to just kind of glue them together and toss them into the little bin or whatever in the truck, but so far I don't think I can put them on the load itself. I can shift the logs around to tighten things up a bit.

Sure is. The hooks aren't as big of a deal, but on the eyelets it looks like there is some extra material in there, which I believe is an anomoly of the printing process. Yeah it's unfortunate but not the end of the world. Sometimes you win some you lose some, and Iffin I can't make these work(I plan to try again), I'll find some use for them. I always do. So don't misunderstand I'm not complaining. You did a great job in short order, and the parts themselves look great. I might have been able to do almost as good of a job, BUT it would probably take me about 6 months LOL. Customer graphics on the other hand? Oh yeah it's on. It's possible I'm just not used to working with such small bits when they aren't styrene, and these may work perfectly for someone else.

Edited by fantacmet