Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need camera purchase help.

meaneyme

That might be a little low for a really good DSLR, but you should be able to find something to start with. The lens you get with a body/lens purchase won't be the best but will suffice if you look carefully. The most important thing, seeing you posted this here, is that it will focus close enough for photos of your model cars. I have a Nikon DSLR and my all around zoom lens won't get close enough. I have a separate macro lens just for rmodel close ups.

Cannon makes many DSLR's of varying price and you wouldn't go wrong with a Cannon. Nikon is also beginning to compete at the lower levels. There are others too that make very good cameras. It all comes down to price and features.

I dropped my Canon EOS a few days ago but I should be covered to get another one, I love my Canon. I paid $800.00 for mine but I also got two lenses, a cleaning kit and a bag for it. I did pay another $100 and some odd dollars for replacement if any damages happened and I am glad I did.

Wow Cruz, sorry to hear that man. Mike, I am also looking to purchase a camera but it's not only for modeling purposes but thanks for your advice. I can still go higher on the price if need be and by the looks of it, I might just have to if I want a quality camera.

Wow Cruz, sorry to hear that man. Mike, I am also looking to purchase a camera but it's not only for modeling purposes but thanks for your advice. I can still go higher on the price if need be and by the looks of it, I might just have to if I want a quality camera.

Any DSLR will do you well for anything. The kit lenses are made just to get the price down for those buying a "full" camera all together. I would advise buying the camera body and lens separate to suit your needs, but the kit lenses are a really good deal on their own considering what you get for the money.. Expect to pay more for the lens than the camera body. There are very good lenses made by 3rd party lens makers like Tamron and Sigma that can save you money, especially for additional lenses.

I have a Nikon D5100 with an 18-300mm zoom as my normal lens and a Tamron 90mm Macro lens for model shots. The Macro lens stays on my old Nikon D80.

I came on this page with a guide to first DSLR and it's pretty good advice. http://gizmodo.com/5331109/the-3-dslr-lenses-you-need-and-2-more-youll-crave

Canon has an instant rebate till the 31st of this month...........

Listing of online cameras (Canon/Nikon SLR's) where I work.......

http://schillersonline.com/products.html?catalog%5Bdecision_model_guids%5D%5B%5D=a58a8268-4946-4121-8912-f53ba8efa0ea&catalog%5Bsearch%5D%5Bspec_value_ids%5D%5B207146%5D%5B%5D=9997921&catalog%5Bsearch%5D%5Bspec_value_ids%5D%5B207146%5D%5B%5D=9997929&catalog%5Bsearch%5D%5Bprice%5D%5Bmin%5D=&catalog%5Bsearch%5D%5Bprice%5D%5Bmax%5D=

Need to talk about cameras........call 314-968-3650, ask for Brad, he knows everything about digitals cameras.

Good is relative. For $600, you can get a consumer/hobby level camera kit. It will have fewer options but be easier, in general, to use. It will focus slower and have slower shooting speeds. For the most part, all new DSLRs have such high MP ratings that's not a limiting factor. The lens is what really matters. You can get a good Canon lens - 100mm macro f2.8 for about $500 - or less used (I bought a used one, like new, for $350). It's extremely sharp and will focus closer than you wish. You can buy body only and add a better lens, but will probably be in the $800 range...

Again, good is relative, and a $600 Kit is still a good package, but the bottom of the "good" options.

Look for the Canon T3i. They are phasing it out and they have been on sale for great prices. Best Buy recently had a deal for $550 I think, with 2 lenses. I got one a few months ago and I really like it. If you learn how to use it, you can take some seriously good photos with an entry level camera.

A canon 1.8 lens is pretty cheap now, i think $150. That would be good for shooting models I think. The lower the number, the more it blurs out the background. I'm saving up for a Sigma 1.4