Model Cars Magazine Forum

3 Nürnberg 2015 toy fair photo reports, courtesy of IPMS Germany

Luc Janssens

Is this the golden age to be a modeler or what? That tractor is a must, the gull-wing Merc as well. I've already got a "T" on the way and waiting for the touring. Start saving the tax return money!

Golden age? Seems to be! Feels like the mid 90s when AMT was doing models of everything and anything...some of the new kits seem so odd too, the 4L, Trabant Universal, and the above additions of common people stuff...not like the typical Camallenger US market.

How hard would it be to convert that tractor to a Fordson, or later Ford tractor? The mechanicals were pretty similar IIRC. Seems like a new hood, grille shell, and mods to the wheels, tires, seat and a few details under the hood would get you pretty close.

Change the grille work, engine, and front wheels and you have a Ford 9N. Might be some smaller bits that would need to be changed.

I hope the TO20 Ferguson becomes available in Canada. About the only major difference from an 8N ford in the motor. Fergusons ran OHV continentals while Fords ran flatheads. I'm going to have to get a few of these.

Carl

You need to get them together and do some photos of the differences.

Change the grille work, engine, and front wheels and you have a Ford 9N. Might be some smaller bits that would need to be changed.

You need to get them together and do some photos of the differences.

The engine, front and rear wheels, transmission, steering wheel, brake pedals, rear brake backing plates would all have to be changed or modified to make a 9 or 2 N. The grille could be used for an early 9 if it was done up to look like polished aluminum. It would have to be changed to so a late 9 or any 2 N.The 8N could get away with using the transmission and rear wheels, but would also need to have the platforms added to the sides as well as the brake and clutch pedals changed. The later 8N would also need to have the dash modified to have the Proofmeter installed.

What do people know about the Heller E-type Jag models? Are these new? If not, are they any good? And where's the best place to pick up Heller kits in the United States?

Scott

No idea about availability on your side of the pond. These kits are old - IIRC dating from about 30 years ago, but IMHO are vastly superior to the Monogram coupe, and a noticeable improvement over Revell's roadster. Not as nice as the Gunze Hi-Tech roadster though. Worth noting, to avoid any confusion, that Gunze reboxed some Heller kits, including the E Type coupe.

The box art displayed in the show photos looks like it uses the same artwork images from the original release, so don't draw too many conclusions from that. It is very nicely detailed, including underneath. The wire wheels are a single moulding, but good for the age of the kit - careful paint washes would make them very presentable.

I have original releases of both waiting to be built (as well as the remnants of an Airfix rebox that I built as a child) - I can take some pics if of interest?

Edited by Paul H

Thanks for the pics/link, Luc. ;)

Thanks for the photos Luc, lots of nice kits to look forward too !.

Thanks guys, but I'm only the messenger, Andreas Eichendorff from IPMS Germany did all the work, kudos to him for a job well done and then some...

BTW there's more Steffen Arndt posted more pics from the event...

http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/Ausstellungen/Nuernberg2015/Bilder_AT/Bilder_AT_1.htm

Edited by Luc Janssens

What do people know about the Heller E-type Jag models? Are these new? If not, are they any good? And where's the best place to pick up Heller kits in the United States?

Scott

I don't know of a US source, but Hobby Link Japan carries Heller, so I'll probably source ones I'm interested in from there...

The early 9N and 2N were badged as Ford-Fergusons, or to be accurate, Ford-Ferguson System. The Ferguson System badge is located on the grille below the Ford badge, and has a chevron shape. The 8N does not have this. The Ferguson TE20 and TO20 (Tractor England 20 HP and Tractor Overseas 20 HP respectively) are not related to the Fords other than the involvement of Harry Ferguson and the 3 point hitch.

You're exactly right Bill- but you just know somebody is going to try massaging one of the Fergies into a Ford. :D

Regarding the hitch- even that differed on the later Fords- Ford changed it just enough in an attempt that it wouldn't violate Ferguson's patent, after he and Henry's famous falling-out.

Oh, everything is there for mine, it's just not together. I've had mine since around 1981, got it when my Granpa on my dads side passed away. We had the choice between this one or a 9N with a Sherman overdrive. We took the 8 and let my Grandpa wife sell the 9, along with a loader. One of these days, I'm going to get it back together, then I'm possibly going to get a trailer to hitch up to my '55 Chevy truck so I can take it to the local car/tractor show we have in the summer.

Thanks Howard....some great pictures therein....

I just don't get it. I say we are well into an upward curve leading us to the Third Great Golden Age of Model Car Building....and a stroll through this IPMS Germany website posting would certainly seem to reinforce that.

Yet there is a view by some who are very important to our hobby that the model car hobby itself is on a downward death spiral...a philosophy that would justifiably lead to a lack of interest, little or no investment if you offer products or services to this hobby segment, and/or riding your existing business model at it sits, until it no longer supports itself.

I just don't understand... Tens of Millions of Baby Boomers (who almost all built model car kits as kids) now entering a period of life when they'll have more time than at any point since adulthood for leisure time pursuits. A smaller, but significant portion of the next three cohort groups that have enjoyed model car building since their teens and still do....and a new generation (the grandchildren of todays adult model car builders) who are increasingly fascinated by the hobbies and interests of their grand parents....including cars....and model cars. Not to mention a period of investment by various business organizations in newly tooled model car kits, and an unprecedented level of restoring and revising older kits, that we haven't seen since the late 1990's.

Somebody is missing the boat here. Big Time. Maybe it's me....but I think otherwise. All you have to do is....look at this IPMS Germany post. All-new 300SL with all the chassis tubing and a clear belly pan so you can see it when it's assembled? Porsche 918 in two versions? Even though it's not my scale, a 1/16th VW Microbus??? Round 2 reissuing AMT kits that haven't been down the production line in well over 40 years? Upcoming and aggressive kitmakers like Aoshima, Moebius, ITC, Meng? Man, that sure doesn't sound to me like a hobby that is on a slow death spiral!

End of rant. Now...man it's going to be a long year waiting for some of these great new kits!!!!

TIM

Edited by tim boyd