Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 "Durability Run" Comet

RancheroSteve

In the fall of 1963 the Ford Motor Company leased the Daytona Speedway for six weeks and ran a series of specially prepared (but mostly stock) 1964 Comets around the clock for 100,000 miles to prove their durability.

I'm using the Model King re-issue of the AMT '64 Comet to build a curbside replica of the surviving car as part of the Lynx Project (http://www.thelynxproject.org/).

durabilityrunComet-vi.jpg

A gutted interior tub was created. Seat is from the '64 Fairlane T-Bolt; radio from the '57 Ford; roll bar, seat bolster, parts boxes, masonite door panels, and tach were scratchbuilt:

8DurabiltyCometinterior-vi.jpg

6DurabiltyCometinterior-vi.jpg

Artwork for the decals was created by Mark Jones; MCW paint:

277DurabilityCometright-vi.jpg

275DurabilityCometleft-vi.jpg

Getting close to completion, more soon!

Edited by RancheroSteve

Phil: stay tuned ;)

62rebel: I'm thinking the stuff a car would go through in 100k miles in those days - consumables like points, spark plugs, fan belts, brake shoes, etc. in addition to whatever else might possibly go bad - like the water pump, alternator, carb. Just my guess - I haven't seen the actual list.

Excellent job on the comet

Great project Steve. I forgot about the "Durability Run" Comets. I have been wanting to build a replica of the East Africa Safari '64 Comets, one of which I have seen vintage racing after a life time as a daily driver.

Here is as far as I got with the safari car,

P1030569_zps5d9db0c5.jpg

Decals have stalled this project for years, Got this craftsman series kit when it was released in the flower power series.

I think the recording fifth wheel was in a Pontiac kit

greg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...