Model Cars Magazine Forum

Joe Dirt upgrades his Daytona

I remember reading about that specific Daytona back in the early 90's in Mopar Action !

post-6643-0-16541800-1423062095_thumb.jp

The story goes that the car was modified from new with numerous then-popular upgrades ( M/T rocker covers , L-88 type hood scoop , etc. ) and wore a psychedellic paint job .

After seeing how the car looked as a customised version , I really wish that it was left that way ; it was sweet !!

Otis Chandler had this car as part of his collection back in the day .

Edited by 1972coronet

I did a little Google Images digging and found this "Before" shot of the "JOE DIRT" car. Frankly, I like the one Spade just bought a lot better, but this shot might be an inspiration for someone to build a companion for their Joe Dirt model... :

post-7692-0-96710200-1423172941_thumb.jp

Edited by CorvairJim

I did a little Google Images digging and found this "Before" shot of the [ as-found , pre-restoration ] car. Frankly, I like the [ restored version] a lot better [.]

post-6643-0-00196700-1423274642_thumb.jp

The biggest , glaring "mistake" that I can see with the customised version is that the seal between the nose and the fenders was left unpainted ! Huge distraction ; negative space of a verticle black line ! Disrupts the ebb & flow of the psychedellic paint job .

Any-one care to photoshop (or what-ever programme's around these days) the image and eliminate that verticle black line ?

I did a little Google Images digging and found this "Before" shot of the "JOE DIRT" car. Frankly, I like the one Spade just bought a lot better, but this shot might be an inspiration for someone to build a companion for their Joe Dirt model... :

Is this the car he just bought or are you meaning the actual Joe Dirt car?

attachicon.gifpsychedellic_1969daytona.jpg

The biggest , glaring "mistake" that I can see with the customised version is that the seal between the nose and the fenders was left unpainted ! Huge distraction ; negative space of a verticle black line ! Disrupts the ebb & flow of the psychedellic paint job .

Any-one care to photoshop (or what-ever programme's around these days) the image and eliminate that verticle black line ?

Thats the rubber seal between the fender and the nose..only way to fix it is weld or lead it up. Even then chances of someone doing that to a real Hemi Dayyona is unlikely.

These cars were already back on the uprise in values by the late 70s. . For the most part these cars became almost instant collectibles in no time.