Model Cars Magazine Forum

1984 Lake Speed Bull Frog Knits

Billy Kingsley

I finished this up earlier today. Surprisingly for me, it's NOT box stock! I built this using the photo from the TranSouth 500 from the Yearbook. The contingencys are matched to the photo, and come from 8 companys and 14 sheets...add one more each if you count the Powerslide tire decals. It's the most mixing-and-matching I've done.

The window net is re-shaped. A first. I noticed in the photo that the shape of the window net did not match the kit, so I carefully cut it down and reshaped it.

The air dam. The kit had one molded integral around the front of the body, and a small one molded into the chassis. Both were wrong! I cut off both of them, and the body integral one I did after it was painted and decaled-also a first. The underbody air dam was scratchbuilt. (another first)

The decals are from Fred Cady (another 1st) and it's the first NASCAR build from the year I was born that I've completed. It's also my first 2008 completion.

The pictures aren't too good...I had it a little too close to the light...But they get the job done...

Thanks for looking!

THE STUPID AUTO-SHRINK OF PHOTOS DISTORTS THEM!!!

1984LakeSpeed001-vi.jpg

My original decaling wasn't too good (I did it a long time ago) and the painting touchups show poorly in the photo. Doesn't look that bad in person.

1984LakeSpeed002-vi.jpg

1984LakeSpeed003-vi.jpg

1984LakeSpeed004-vi.jpg

1984LakeSpeed005-vi.jpg

1984LakeSpeed006-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking, and as soon as I can get my own computer working again I'll post the photo I used, so you can see the exact match!

Edited by Billy Kingsley

Looks really good Billy!!! I especially like the front spoiler, and you nailed the stance!!

how did you lower it???

I just started Lake's '85 Nationwise Grand Prix( the one he placed 2nd in the daytona 500 with), using the decals from lobographix.

Edited by LVZ2881

Thanks James! It's kind of rudimentary...but the lowered suspension is really simple...It's not all glued in!! There are no upper A arms up front and the rear is only connected at the main middle point in the exact middle of the chassis. It also gives the imression of a working suspension, but photos don't show that. Curbside is fun!!

Would love to see the Nationwise...Lobographix decals rock!

Thanks again! It may have taken me a while (too long!) but I think I've finally got the concept of Quality over Quantity! I'm going to try and continue to get better, as well...Why, just last night I found a package of pastel Gel pens...Wonder what those could be used for? :lol:

I'd love to do Buddy's Olds...I don't have the decals for it...I don't even know if they exist, actually.

I really want to get a couple of those 81-85 Cutlasses...I have 4 decals for that body style already, and would enjoy building every one! Guess I need to buy some from Ronnie...

Jamie, not going to do that anymore...Another lesson learned! I've got a really cool wheeled cart now that protects the models better then ever before...I've not had a single bit of damage on either Toledo trip with it, and a 15 hour ride like that used to be a killer on models!